How many gigs are scams?

the_civil_panda

I've recently posted something and a buyer commented that they'd like to stick to top rated and popular sellers because they don't trust gigs with no reviews and don't want to get scams, I completely agree with this buyer. But he/she posed a question that hadn't crossed my mind, how prevalant are scams on Fiverr?

• Like 20
  • Confused 2
  • Up 2

17 hours ago, the_civil_panda said:

how prevalant are scams on Fiverr?

Sadly, a lot, and not just scam "Sellers", but also scam "Buyers". Plus there are both Buyers and Sellers who just plain don't know what they're doing, even if their intent isn't dubious. 

Fiverr has no barrier to entry, so anyone can sign up.

• Like 18
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:59 PM, the_civil_panda said:

they don't trust gigs with no reviews and don't want to get scams

Here's another sad fact, there are a good number of sellers ( both level 1 and 2) with good reviews who are scammers.
You just need to be careful I guess and do all the research before placing an order.

• Like 12
  • Up 6

The word scam is a broad term. It is often used to define many types of dishonest transactions between a seller and buyer on the platform. If you search online, you can find representative lists of the most common types of scams. The scams range in dishonesty, from mendaciousness to deceit. And they affect both buyers and sellers alike.

• Like 11
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a new seller with null sales. I consider myself to be honest. Yet? I'm more worried about myself on Fiverr. I feel like I'm in my early 20s and at a bar. Every day, some bummy scam artist loser keeps trying to get me away from the platform, asking/saying weird stuff or having red flags all over them. I'd think that they would go after people who are getting more sales. The newbs usually don't have that much money.

Edited by tulame9
  • Like 7
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 6:04 AM, catwriter said:

Those people are usually more experienced, and know not to fall for such scams.

Desperate (and ignorant) newbies are often easier to deceive.

Makes sense. They were hitting me hard everyday when I first came, now it a 2-3x a week.

• Like 7

On 9/11/2023 at 9:45 PM, mix_mike said:

New here, too. Would be interested to hear more about your specific experiences to know what to look out for to stay safe.

I´ve never been scammed as a seller, I always listen to my stomach. Some people try to ge you to contact them outside of the website (as a buyer, you´re pretty save as long, as you stay on Fiverr, it favors the buyer)

I would always reverse image-search the gig pictures, especially in the artist range, many people steal drawings from others, also if the images have low quality and the wording and grammar is bad (A serious person would make sure, they have good spelling etc) and very high promises and if they are really really pushy to buy or send you links to click 

• Like 3