What is worse? A bad review or a cancelled order?

domenikbrenner

Question

Hi,
I got a nightmare client who ordered a webcrawler gig and then was upset that I built a webcrawler. Now he wants me to do a lot more work than I am willing to do for that money, but he refuses to pay me more. 

Now I already delivered my work to him, and it took me a long time, but it was not 100% complete (but I can't collect data that isn't there) and now I am supposed to google research the rest until I 100% completely find it all? But some companies just don't have certain information online, especially not on the source he provided.

And he wouldn't even even let me extend the delivery date.

He raised a dispute now and I am not sure if a cancellation is better than a bad review (which I will get even if I do what he wants me to, very likely.)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

23 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, domenikbrenner said:

webcrawler gig and then was upset that I built a webcrawler.

Client was angry that you did exactly what you advertised? 😅

I'm not sure if it has been implemented yet but Fiverr has mentioned that some canceled orders will qualify for buyer reviews (see link below). Anyway, if it took your time and resources to find out that it didn't have any results then that should be charged for. No results is results in cases like that. You did the work, at best you can find middle ground and refund him for those portions that didn't have results (but again, if it took your time and resources - you shouldn't really). 

If you have any FAQs or specific details on your gig or order page that can help support your case then use it. But it sounds like a difficult buyer and I'm also not sure how negotiating with them would pan out. But always act professional whatever happens. But anyway, just keep calm and handle it as professionally as you can. Get paid for the work. Should they leave a negative review, you will have the opportunity to respond to it and potential buyers will also be able to see how you responded. 
I do hope you get that sorted!

Edited by theratypist
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

screenshot-20230721-155828.thumb.png.619c7304a4cc41073fac1dc36be59ddc.pngscreenshot-20230721-155845.thumb.png.8f4c00a85e5f3e0a5f57d20d4d5e7cdf.pngscreenshot-20230721-155902.thumb.png.003f1672c892f77881f9827e02f057b6.pngscreenshot-20230721-155914.thumb.png.88d61ca87ccc1ce10dbef7e610d10c4c.png

That's the conversation until yesterday. So I finished this today delivered, and he kept demanding more and more and more. I explain to him that some companies don't have any available emails on their websites and if I should research the rest manually, we need to arrange a little better pay, and even then I can't guarantee results. I already had a very long day nd finished other stuff up and I will be gone for a few days, too. Without the possibility to work, too. So I just had to do another hour twenty just to get the rest done by hand. I would have never done this for 25 dollars if he would hav ebeen clear about all this earlier.
I think I have been quite clear and straight forward about the whole job!

screenshot-20230722-205920.png.a1eb2b4739470628bdf02f81de392a31.pngscreenshot-20230722-210006.png.ee24d92f5b01392b28c4f6fc26fa94d0.png

screenshot-20230722-211105.png.ba7147950456782b63793502aea314b1.pngscreenshot-20230722-211116.png.46379c53ad59f39585fff93c2b23b98a.png

I really don't know. Either I get a bad review or a cancellation and now I am really panicking, because I JUST started to get impressions above 30 a day again, the first time since almost a year, last time was a very similar situation. And since then I only had repeat orders from regular clients, which coincidentally all concluded their project with me week ago. But I got the other thread moaning about that. 

And I just start to get new messages and new clients for the first time, and now this guy comes along. Now I need to practice damage control and I need to know if I should deliver what he asks for (already done the rest by hand now although I didn't find much more, as predicted... If there is no dta, I can't magically make it appear you know?) or if I should ask to cancel the order and explain my situation.

Pest or cholera. What poison should I take?

Edited by domenikbrenner
  • Like 15
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, Don't be upset. These things are part of business.

You have completed the offered work, and for that, you should be paid. You can contact support for help, or if you get a negative review, report it and ask support to remove it. They mostly check such things manually and resolve the issues.

as you said
Pest or cholera. What poison should I take?

Whatever, at least get paid for your hard work. 😄😄 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sehrishirfan said:

Hey, Don't be upset. These things are part of business.

You have completed the offered work, and for that, you should be paid. You can contact support for help, or if you get a negative review, report it and ask support to remove it. They mostly check such things manually and resolve the issues.

as you said
Pest or cholera. What poison should I take?

Whatever, at least get paid for your hard work. 😄😄 

It's not so much about getting paid 25 dollars, more about sustainability of income... And I say, I just started to get impressions again since this thread. Almost a year now can you believe it. I'd rather not get paid for one job and get new clients rather than get paid and have no new clients (and since all the old regulars are gone now, I wouldn't have an income)

Not sure how bad this guy's review will be and how much it will cripple me. And I have the work done now, but I am not sure what's the best way to deal with the situation now for myself. Customer Support was never on my side, but if he gives me a mild review then that maybe isn't too bad? Maybe less than a cancellation? But then again, it could be worse, or he could give me a horrible review like the other guy?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

You're not allowed to out other members of the community by username on the forum. With that said...

You've got a severe case of bad buyer on your hands. 

I'm sorry you're going through this. 

It seems like this could be a defining moment for you. Are you going to give into this guy's demands, hoping to salvage the order, or will you stand your ground?

The decision is yours but...

There's no guarantee that this buyer won't submit a really harsh private review to Fiverr just out of spite.

Personally, I'd be less worried about the public review and more concerned about the private one. It's likely to be negative, no matter how you slice it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stand firm. Yes, you might face a slump, maybe a couple of months with minimal business and a negative review. But at least you'll have a chance to publicly respond to the buyer's review and tell your side of the story. As a bonus, you get to keep your pride.

You can always reach out to the support team and share your experience. There's a chance they might cancel the order, and while that means you might not get anything from this deal and your completion rate may drop, at least you stood your ground. If that approach goes well, which it has for me in the past, support has reached out to the buyer explaining that the terms don't allow them to misuse the revision button to ask for additional work not included in the original scope.

There's no easy exit here. If I were in your position, I'd stick to my principles. I would stand my ground, refuse to cancel, and continue to deliver until the buyer grows tired and accepts the work. Sure, they might reach out to support, and they might even side with him (they sometimes do). But given the choice, I'd rather get the chance to respond with my side of the story, instead of working for free for someone who clearly has no respect. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, smashradio said:

You're not allowed to out other members of the community by username on the forum. With that said...

You've got a severe case of bad buyer on your hands. 

I'm sorry you're going through this. 

It seems like this could be a defining moment for you. Are you going to give into this guy's demands, hoping to salvage the order, or will you stand your ground?

The decision is yours but...

There's no guarantee that this buyer won't submit a really harsh private review to Fiverr just out of spite.

Personally, I'd be less worried about the public review and more concerned about the private one. It's likely to be negative, no matter how you slice it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stand firm. Yes, you might face a slump, maybe a couple of months with minimal business and a negative review. But at least you'll have a chance to publicly respond to the buyer's review and tell your side of the story. As a bonus, you get to keep your pride. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

You can always reach out to the support team and share your experience. There's a chance they might cancel the order, and while that means you might not get anything from this deal and your completion rate may drop, at least you stood your ground. If that approach goes well, which it has for me in the past, support has reached out to the buyer explaining that the terms don't allow them to misuse the revision button to ask for additional work not included in the original scope.

There's no easy exit here. If I were in your position, I'd stick to my principles. I would stand my ground, refuse to cancel, and continue to deliver until the buyer grows tired and accepts the work. Sure, they might reach out to support, and they might even side with him (they sometimes do). But given the choice, I'd rather get the chance to respond with my side of the story, instead of working for free for someone who clearly has no respect. 

I opted to contact the CS this time. They agreed with me that he's overreaching, but I have to get him to agree to my cancellation, which he doesn't want any more. Hm. But my account was crippled for almost an entire year because of a bad private review last time. So in the end, it'ssafer this way. Just not a great look that fiverr is so unfair for sellers.

Edited by domenikbrenner
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, domenikbrenner said:

I opted to contact the CS this time. They agreed with me that he's overreaching, but I have to get him to agree to my cancellation, which he doesn't want any more. Hm. But my account was crippled for almost an entire year because of a bad private review last time. So in the end, it'ssafer this way. Just not a great look that fiverr is so unfair for sellers.

I don't think Fiverr is unfair to sellers. Fiverr is a platform. If you rent a store, you don't expect your landlord to come solve your problems whenever a Karen enters your store. Same thing here. It's up to you, of course. There's no nice way out of this anyway, but it's a learning opportunity: vet your buyers properly before working with them. 

Anyway, I hope everything works itself out for you! It's never nice being bullied by a client. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

That is a very unfortunate situation for anyone who faces it. I would suggest you cancel the order if you want the sustainibilty for future orders. A negative review can be more dangerous than the Cancellation ratio and its side effects (which can be recovered in the future). The negative feedback will keep you hurt whenever you will see it on your profile. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smashradio said:

I don't think Fiverr is unfair to sellers. Fiverr is a platform. If you rent a store, you don't expect your landlord to come solve your problems whenever a Karen enters your store. Same thing here. It's up to you, of course. There's no nice way out of this anyway, but it's a learning opportunity: vet your buyers properly before working with them. 

Anyway, I hope everything works itself out for you! It's never nice being bullied by a client. 

Well, doing everything a client wants, plus more, and then being excluded from the search for an entire year based off one review, without the customer support seeing a need to help you about it (no matter how clearly abused you were) is, I think, quite unfair.

In your example the landlord is more the person who hosts the website, not the people who run the website. Maybe hostgator or something haha. FIverr would be more like the store owner, while you're a salesman, and if the karen comes to annoy you, then it would be very unfair of the store owner to cut your pay because she left a bad yelp review. 

Without any further metaphors; I don't expect fiverr to solve all of my problems for me, but for the 20% cut they get, they should protect me from customers the same way customers are protected from me. I thought that was the deal, but here we all have a huge disadvantage selling and are treated not very fairly. One negative bad review can kill your business, even if it's unjust. And if it's private, you can't even verify it. The impact it has, is way too big. Clients can take you hostage, either you do extra work or I leave you a bad review. Or, especially in the creative sector, they can say that your work was so bad, they want their money back after you've delivered, and it usually happens that way then. Just read through the stories here on the forum. Happens waaaay too many times. You can get seriously ripped off.

This is where FIverr could be more fair for the sellers, and check bad reviews and low ratings and disable negative effects on the profile, if they are ruled unjust. There is simply a power imbalance this way. A client won't ever have any negative effects from a bad seller, as fiverr will always step in, but as a seller, you can have many bad buyers, if you're unlucky. How as I supposed to know that the client doesn't want a webcrawler, when they booked me through my webcrawler gig?? Just to give an example. Can't avoid them all.

Just bummed out that the buyer doesn't accept the cancellation now. Guess I'll have to wait it out.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 12
  • Up 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:23 AM, domenikbrenner said:

Hi,
I got a nightmare client who ordered a webcrawler gig and then was upset that I built a webcrawler. Now he wants me to do a lot more work than I am willing to do for that money, but he refuses to pay me more. 

Now I already delivered my work to him, and it took me a long time, but it was not 100% complete (but I can't collect data that isn't there) and now I am supposed to google research the rest until I 100% completely find it all? But some companies just don't have certain information online, especially not on the source he provided.

And he wouldn't even even let me extend the delivery date.

He raised a dispute now and I am not sure if a cancellation is better than a bad review (which I will get even if I do what he wants me to, very likely.)

Both Order cancellation as well as bad review are bad for any profile and gig. It'll let your gig impression and order down gradually. So, be careful of it.

Edited by wpmanditech
Spelling mistake and incorrect sentence.
  • Like 12
  • Up 1

12 hours ago, domenikbrenner said:

Well, doing everything a client wants, plus more, and then being excluded from the search for an entire year based off one review, without the customer support seeing a need to help you about it (no matter how clearly abused you were) is, I think, quite unfair.

In your example the landlord is more the person who hosts the website, not the people who run the website. Maybe hostgator or something haha. FIverr would be more like the store owner, while you're a salesman, and if the karen comes to annoy you, then it would be very unfair of the store owner to cut your pay because she left a bad yelp review. 

Without any further metaphors; I don't expect fiverr to solve all of my problems for me, but for the 20% cut they get, they should protect me from customers the same way customers are protected from me. I thought that was the deal, but here we all have a huge disadvantage selling and are treated not very fairly. One negative bad review can kill your business, even if it's unjust. And if it's private, you can't even verify it. The impact it has, is way too big. Clients can take you hostage, either you do extra work or I leave you a bad review. Or, especially in the creative sector, they can say that your work was so bad, they want their money back after you've delivered, and it usually happens that way then. Just read through the stories here on the forum. Happens waaaay too many times. You can get seriously ripped off.

This is where FIverr could be more fair for the sellers, and check bad reviews and low ratings and disable negative effects on the profile, if they are ruled unjust. There is simply a power imbalance this way. A client won't ever have any negative effects from a bad seller, as fiverr will always step in, but as a seller, you can have many bad buyers, if you're unlucky. How as I supposed to know that the client doesn't want a webcrawler, when they booked me through my webcrawler gig?? Just to give an example. Can't avoid them all.

Just bummed out that the buyer doesn't accept the cancellation now. Guess I'll have to wait it out.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi, I am experiencing the same situation now.

A customer commissioned me to convert a song from Stereo to Dolby Atmos. I did my job and the customer asked me for a revision (included in the price). After the first revision, he asked me for another one and I asked for an extra payment for the second one. The customer has not written to me since then. After several days while the delivery was about to expire, I do the second review without charging anything, and he asks me to cancel. I refused the cancellation, because I did my job.

Now how can I protect myself from this bad buyer?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Without any further metaphors...

Noooo, I'm not done with my metaphors just yet! 🤣

You see, your comparison with a salesman doesn't work because you're, in fact, the business owner, and Fiverr is only letting you use their space to sell your product. But perhaps we could look at your profile as a stall at a mall. Perhaps mall security could do a better job. 

Ok. Now I'm done with my metaphors. For now. 🙃

Happens waaaay too many times. 

It has happened to me once, with nine years on the platform and thousands of orders. Sure, I've had some demanding and challenging individuals over the years, but I've managed to get through it. I think it has a lot to do with pricing yourself at a premium, vetting your buyers, discussing and learning about their project up-front, and learning how to become an expert communicator. Working on my communication and service skills has helped me navigate some complicated situations while getting out on top, or at least not feeling like I was hit by a truck. I find that the client paying 20 bucks for something will feel like they've invested their life savings in you and expect you to be their butler and solve all their problems yesterday, while the 2000 dollar client will be like, "Here's the task. Let me know if you have any questions or need to adjust the budget to fit this project. You know best! Thanks!"

I get that you're feeling bummed out about this. That's only natural. 

• Like 10
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Noooo, I'm not done with my metaphors just yet! 🤣

You see, your comparison with a salesman doesn't work because you're, in fact, the business owner, and Fiverr is only letting you use their space to sell your product. But perhaps we could look at your profile as a stall at a mall. Perhaps mall security could do a better job. 

Ok. Now I'm done with my metaphors. For now. 🙃

It has happened to me once, with nine years on the platform and thousands of orders. Sure, I've had some demanding and challenging individuals over the years, but I've managed to get through it. I think it has a lot to do with pricing yourself at a premium, vetting your buyers, discussing and learning about their project up-front, and learning how to become an expert communicator. Working on my communication and service skills has helped me navigate some complicated situations while getting out on top, or at least not feeling like I was hit by a truck. I find that the client paying 20 bucks for something will feel like they've invested their life savings in you and expect you to be their butler and solve all their problems yesterday, while the 2000 dollar client will be like, "Here's the task. Let me know if you have any questions or need to adjust the budget to fit this project. You know best! Thanks!"

I get that you're feeling bummed out about this. That's only natural. 

You just successfully avoid it, good on you. But if it happens, Fiverr should have your back. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jesmin_sarkar said:

Both a bad review and a cancelled order can have negative implications for a business, but the severity of their impact can vary depending on the specific circumstances. Let's explore the potential consequences of each:

Bad Review:
A bad review can be damaging to a business's reputation, especially in the age of online reviews and social media. When potential customers see negative feedback, it may deter them from making a purchase or seeking services from that business. Negative reviews can spread quickly and linger for a long time, potentially affecting the business's credibility and customer trust. However, a single bad review can sometimes be offset by numerous positive reviews if the overall rating remains relatively high.

Cancelled Order:
A cancelled order typically represents a lost sale, and it might be an indication of customer dissatisfaction or dissatisfaction with the product or service offering. While a single cancelled order may not have a significant impact on the overall business, a pattern of cancelled orders can suggest underlying issues that need to be addressed. Additionally, depending on the nature of the business, there may be costs associated with processing orders and then dealing with the cancellations, which can affect profitability.

Thank you for your well written reply. Unfortunately you seem to not have looked into the issues here and all the background.

Both is bad, but what is worse for business in the long run? That's the real question here. 

From my own experience I know that a bad private review is crippling your profile for months up to a year. Maybe longer for some others.

And a cancelled order will lower your visibility and affect your impressions, but for a wy shorter amount of time and not as drastically. 

The issue here was or me, I wasn't sure what I wntd to do, because there was a chance, that I won't get a bad review from the client if I deliver, what he wants. A very slim chance though. But it's almost certain that a cancellation will affect my profile, too. If the Customer Support doesn't help me competently to keep the cancellation from affecting me. They an do it, but they don't always do that. And if they do it, they only do it if they agree that it wasn't your fault.

So it was maybe a very crippling bad private review with slim chances it might not happen vs a high chance that my profile will be affecting my profile for a shorter amount of time but severely, too with a slim chance, that it might not.

Pest vs cholera

Edited by domenikbrenner
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, smashradio said:

Fiverr is more like a virtual consignment shop (like Etsy), they are funneling the customers to a conglomerate of storefronts. You agree to the terms and pricing set by them to manage the sales process in your store. They take enough money from us that they better be there to mediate when things inevitably go awry.

I've had maybe 3 or 4 sales go this route in the 6 years that I've been selling here. I've had to mediate them through CS for each one because my time and sanity are valuable. I'm not here to spend days in back-and-forth with someone who has no respect for who they are working with.

• Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

Hm  little update for anyone interested: The customer support now has changed their minds about helping me. I seem to have promised the client to look into it, and now the customer support holds me to that, not understanding, that I did without finding many more emails, certainly not enough to make the client happy, and I try to avoid a bad review. 

Also they say, that they are unable to cancel the order without the buyer's permission, which I find a little dubious. 

• Like 11
  • Up 1

Another update: The buyer now refused the cancellation and holds me hostage, saying "I will not accept the refund and cancellation before I get the updated list, too!"

My response now: 

"

As I just told you in the chat: I will not send any more of my work for free. You are absolutely abusing me, and I will not have that.

First of all you booked a webcrawler gig, and then complained, that I build a webcrawler. Secondly, I included the 2 sources - your website, and all the websites I found there.

Social media is extra. That was neither discussed, nor included.

From those sources, I gave you all the available emails.

Now you demand more than we agreed on for free, and you hold me hostage over it! I did all that work for free already, you already have the first list, and now you want the other handful of extra emails for free, too! No!
I will not send you any more data because first of all: you didn't pay for the extra work, and I also didn't find much (and you made it very clear that you want 100%, an email for every entry! Which is impossible if the company doesn't publish their email btw! I can't pull data from thin air! You pay me to go and search on x amount of site to find the data, I can't possibly guarantee that I will find something!!).

Just accept the cancellation, you get all your money back and you can hire someone else to do the rest without losing any money or any more time because I will simply not send you more! You already have the first delivery, which was complete by the scope of the gig!"

And Fiverr Customer Support tells me they can't cancel an order without the buyers agreement. Is that true?

I am stuck. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed with this client?

Edited by domenikbrenner
  • Like 10
  • Up 1

5 hours ago, domenikbrenner said:

I am stuck. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed with this client?

Well customer support might think that you want to curate your reviews by not allowing the buyer to state their mind and canceling the order. By the way, Fiverr is adding reviews for canceled orders within the next few weeks, so it's clear they don't agree to canceling orders like this. If the buyer agrees to canceling the order, then you will be fine. However, it seems they want to review the work you did, and no one can stop them to do that, certainly not customer support if they accept the order. It's also a bit unfortunate that you told to your client they are abusing you... I think that made them change their mind and why they want to review the order instead of getting a refund.

• Like 7
  • Up 1

27 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Well customer support might think that you want to curate your reviews by not allowing the buyer to state their mind and canceling the order. By the way, Fiverr is adding reviews for canceled orders within the next few weeks, so it's clear they don't agree to canceling orders like this. If the buyer agrees to canceling the order, then you will be fine. However, it seems they want to review the work you did, and no one can stop them to do that, certainly not customer support if they accept the order. It's also a bit unfortunate that you told to your client they are abusing you... I think that made them change their mind and why they want to review the order instead of getting a refund.

Yeh maybe not the smartest move on my end, but I am just fed up with this. And yes, they are totally demanding things that are not included, without paying me for it either, and then take me hostage by not accepting the cancellation until I give them even more for free. I am just so annoyed now.

Fiverr support now sees what I keep explaining to them, they see that I did everything humanenly possible but it's impossible to satisfy this client. And now he is being very unreasonable. No one is curating (as in manipulating) anything here. It's just an unfair situation to be in and I couldn't have prevented it no matter what I did. It is sheer impossible to make data appear where there is none.

I just hope that the CS doesn't change their minds about helping me because he said that he wants to rate me now. Which is obviously not going to be good because he is frustrated about me.

Edited by domenikbrenner
  • Like 7
  • Up 1

On 7/26/2023 at 3:16 AM, domenikbrenner said:

Yeh maybe not the smartest move on my end, but I am just fed up with this. And yes, they are totally demanding things that are not included, without paying me for it either, and then take me hostage by not accepting the cancellation until I give them even more for free. I am just so annoyed now.

Whew, I checked and it seems as though the most recently reviewed order he did did not go well as well. He rated the seller at one star.

Are you on Seller Plus and do you have Customer Success manager, I find that they are more helpful than CS in stuff like these...

• Like 8
  • Up 1