The Introduction of Reviews for Cancelled Orders – Some Thoughts After My Meeting With Fiverr

smashradio

In the upcoming days and weeks, Fiverr will begin introducing reviews for cancelled orders. This means buyers will have the opportunity to rate us, even when the order ends up being cancelled, but only under certain conditions.

Fiverr has already shared these details with the community (I suggest you read it unless you're familiar with it already, as there are more specifics I'm not mentioning here), and over the next few days or weeks, they'll be explaining more about it here on the forum and in a webinar that we can all join.

The last time Fiverr tried to implement this idea, they had to halt it due to the massive amount of feedback on the forum. Meanwhile, some of us have been in meetings with Fiverr's product and retention managers to learn a bit more about the upcoming changes and the thought process behind them.

While I won’t share too many specifics, as that’s up to the Fiverr team when they’re ready to launch this, I wanted to explain a bit more about why this change is happening, and why I think it's a great idea, based on my talks with Fiverr. 

Two words: buyer retention.

Fiverr knows that a negative buyer experience often results in them leaving the platform. That's not good for any of us. And the usual culprits are sellers who either vanish mid-order, underdeliver, or misrepresent their skills. In other words, amateurs and pretenders. 

For real professionals, this change will be positive, in my opinion. It will mainly affect sellers who can't deliver a top-notch experience, and it’s a golden opportunity to separate the wheat from the chaff, something I've been advocating for in my discussions with Fiverr's managers for years.

A point of concern among many sellers is that Fiverr won't allow sellers to review buyers back in the case of cancellations. Even though I initially agreed with this pain point and shared it with Fiverr, it won't be implemented for now, and I believe there's sound logic behind this decision.

Fiverr is trying to avoid negative experiences for buyers. The ultimate goal is to increase buyer retention and promote great sellers. Buyers leaving the platform will and can hurt us all because there'll be less business on Fiverr, not to mention the harm negative word-of-mouth can have on the brand. 

The reason they have these bad experiences is largely because of bad sellers. So, if a seller has already given a buyer a negative experience, it doesn't make sense to let that seller go on the offensive in a review on the buyer’s profile. That would only escalate the bad impression.

You will, however, have the opportunity to respond to their review on your gig/profile. So, you can tell your side of the story in public, just like the buyer.

It's certainly valid to question the fairness of this decision. Transparency is one of the arguments for implementing this. The inability of sellers to freely express their viewpoints while buyers can seem to tip the scales of power. While there is a clear benefit to us being able to respond to their reviews on our profiles, it’s not the same. 

Even so, I understand Fiverr's reasoning behind the decision, but I’m aware that it may not sit well with some sellers. Although I once shared this sentiment, my discussions with Fiverr have swayed my opinion somewhat.

A negative review from a seller wouldn't make them more inclined to stay on Fiverr. It might be under a new profile if they remain on the platform, rendering the initial negative review insignificant anyway. 

Sure, this doesn’t let us vet the buyer’s cancellation habits through reviews, but it's worth noting that we haven’t had that opportunity until now, anyway. The fact that buyers can review us after a cancellation doesn't change this. 

This might not be a popular decision, but I believe it's the right decision. 

So how can we prepare for this change? 

First off, we've got to reevaluate the weird notion that only a perfect five-star average is actually “good”. That's just not how things work in the broader world. When every review is five stars, the score becomes meaningless. If all sellers, including those who sanitize their negative reviews by canceling orders, maintain a five-star average, it doesn't reflect the quality of the sellers. Fiverr wishes to put a stop to review sanitizing, and that's a good thing. 

What's more important is that sellers who are selective with their buyers and projects, manage expectations well, and ensure they're the right match for the projects they take on will handle this change just fine. This is also a selling point for Seller Plus: the information you get about your buyers through the buyer insights feature is invaluable, as it also tells you if a buyer tends to cancel a lot of orders or not.

Now, more than ever, it’s crucial to vet your buyers properly before getting started. That means asking questions, ensuring you have all the information you need before starting work, and learning how to communicate with and solve problems for your buyers.

If you're one of those sellers who take on any gig at any price, delivering only passable results, expect this to impact your business.

On the other hand, if you consistently deliver high-quality work, engage with your buyers, and don't leave them hanging halfway through a project, these changes could actually play to your advantage—more business for the true professionals on Fiverr and less for those who mistreat their buyers or don't put in the effort to do a great job. 

Fiverr is also rolling out some other features I know many of you have been wanting for a long time. So even if you're not thrilled about the change to the review system, other goodies are coming your way that will help us avoid cancellations in the first place. It's not my place to announce these features, but I will say that my comment to the product- and retainment managers was, "That's awesome!"

To end it off, I think this change is positive for Fiverr as a platform, for its buyers, and for sellers taking their business here seriously. On the other hand, I think this change will affect a lot of sellers who come unprepared. As with any change Fiverr makes, it can go terribly wrong or end up being great, and my impression is that the teams working on this have all serious sellers, buyers, and Fiverr in mind. It’s a great opportunity to distinguish between genuine professionals and amateurs, and it encourages us to work harder to avoid cancellations, ultimately benefiting both us and our buyers. 

The best thing we can do as sellers is to adapt to these changes, and use them to our advantage.

Fiverr is a tool. How you use it determines if you’ll succeed or not. 

Edited by smashradio
Typos
  • Like 31
  • Confused 1
  • Up 9
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for the update!

I am sure you will have lots and lots of sellers complaining here that they don't agree with this change. I am not sure what final form this change will have, but I will say this, clearly sellers will be unhappy no matter what. And you can't please everyone.

39 minutes ago, smashradio said:

as it also tells you if a buyer tends to cancel a lot of orders or not.

This sounds great!

39 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Fiverr is also rolling out some other features I know many of you have been wanting for a long time.

Hmm, now you're making me wonder what those changes might be.. I just hope it's THAT change I've been complaining on the forum for years, among many others. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vickiespencer said:

Did you learn anything about orders that were canceled due to a chargeback?  

Obviously those should not be taken into account, nor should buyers have the means to leave a review. Because they clearly take advantage of that seller, if Fiverr allows that, it would make buyers OP, to say the least.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Just now, donnovan86 said:

Thanks for the update!

I am sure you will have lots and lots of sellers complaining here that they don't agree with this change. I am not sure what final form this change will have, but I will say this, clearly sellers will be unhappy no matter what. And you can't please everyone.

Absolutely. I believe this is an unpopular change, but it certainly is the right one, and I think more people would see that if they saw this from a perspective of quality, retention and brand. What's great for Fiverr is ultimately good for us. 

2 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Hmm, now you're making me wonder what those changes might be.. I just hope it's THAT change I've been complaining on the forum for years, among many others. 

It might be! Which change is that? 

2 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Did you learn anything about orders that were canceled due to a chargeback?  

Yes. Orders canceled due to chargeback will not be subject to review by the buyer. 

• Like 17
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, smashradio said:

Absolutely. I believe this is an unpopular change, but it certainly is the right one, and I think more people would see that if they saw this from a perspective of quality, retention and brand. What's great for Fiverr is ultimately good for us. 

3 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I am fine with it. I reduced my cancellations to the point where I barely have any, if at all. So I am not worried about this issue, I always focus on keeping my buyers happy. But I am thinking about a price increase when this comes, just to push some of the bad buyers away. 

1 minute ago, smashradio said:

It might be! Which change is that? 

That would be the ability to lock gig packages and buyers not having the ability to purchase gig multiples without the seller's consent. That would make custom offers more meaningful. I know Pro sellers won't have this issue due to their prices, but level 2 and below certainly suffer from this quite a bit.

• Like 16
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

I am fine with it. I reduced my cancellations to the point where I barely have any, if at all. So I am not worried about this issue, I always focus on keeping my buyers happy. But I am thinking about a price increase when this comes, just to push some of the bad buyers away. 

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. 

That would be the ability to lock gig packages and buyers not having the ability to purchase gig multiples without the seller's consent. That would make custom offers more meaningful. I know Pro sellers won't have this issue due to their prices, but level 2 and below certainly suffer from this quite a bit.

We didn't speak about gig packages, I'm afraid. So I can't say if this is in the pipeline or not. With Seller Plus, you can activate the Request to Order feature, though. It's not the same, I know, but if I had issues with this, I would surely use it. For writing gigs, you can set a delivery time added per x amount of words, though, and that should take care of this problem, at least in our category?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, smashradio said:

I know, but if I had issues with this, I would surely use it.

Request to Order would be fine if I would only receive 1-2 orders a week. For an article/content writing gig, that's a death sentence.

14 minutes ago, smashradio said:

For writing gigs, you can set a delivery time added per x amount of words, though, and that should take care of this problem, at least in our category?

You set your deadline, and if the buyer purchases 20x your gig amount, the deadline is the same for 1x. It has been an issue for years and it continues to be ignored. 

If there's a misunderstanding here, I am not talking about gig extras here. A buyer can use multiples to purchase any gig packages up to 20x and the deadline never changes. Same with adding the desired word count, even if I offer 400 words with my basic package, a buyer can easily insert 20k words and the deadline never changes, it remains the same deadline even if the amount of words is more than a dozen times larger. It's always been the same, and it's obviously a problem. I talked here, told various Fiverr staff on the forum, people that had meetings with management, and nothing. I am sure this will never change, even if it leads to cancellations and unhappy buyers, which clearly seems to bother Fiverr.

At this point.. I have no idea what changes they will make. But if they don't offer us the means to actively see our BSR even as a score or they don't offer us a way to lock our gig packages and thus have control over what we sell.. I am not sure what else is more important. All these changes are very buyer-centric and I appreciate that, but these buyers come to us for our work, and we should be able to present it the way we want. I want to have 3 gig packages, but I don't want to have people randomly buying stuff without my consent. Yeah, at this point I am certain they will never implement this, even if it's as simple as a slider that would lock gig packages and wouldn't offer the ability to buy anything other than what's on display. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

You set your deadline, and if the buyer purchases 20x your gig amount, the deadline is the same for 1x. It has been an issue for years and it continues to be ignored. 

Ah yes, I see now that the packages are different in writing gigs. I can set the price for additional words, but not additional time. Never had that problem since 99% of my writing clients contact me first. Perhaps this is an issue for lower priced gigs, as you say, because I've never had it. I'll reach out to a product manager about it, specifically. 

• Like 11
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 3

In simpler words, update looks to be "anti $5 gigs"

If so, majority of sellers will be banished (and they know it already, so they will oppose off course)

Sounds good, if it can make difference, making worth of 5/5 unique stars

but still its a lot earlier to say anything

It completely depend on how buyers gonna use it...

• Like 11
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, grayprogrammerz said:

In simpler words, update looks to be "anti $5 gigs"

Fiverr has been anti-5-dollar gigs for a long time. You just have to read their shareholder letters to know that. Not to mention, you just need to do a quick search for any vertical on Fiverr to see that the results hardly contain any five-dollar gigs. 

41 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Yeah, at this point I am certain they will never implement this, even if it's as simple as a slider that would lock gig packages and wouldn't offer the ability to buy anything other than what's on display. 

I can't say, but I've dropped an e-mail to the Senior Product Manager and Retention Manager I spoke to today about it. It should be an easy fix, given that the voice-over category already has it. 

image.png.3e67b4994a85507c9734b2f7a7d24df2.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, smashradio said:

It should be an easy fix, given that the voice-over category already has it. 

Exactly, they had that for years now, but in the case of writing services that's not the case at all. I don't understand the reasoning, why add it to voiceover where you use word counts, but in the case of writing.. it's not there. 

24 minutes ago, grayprogrammerz said:

It completely depend on how buyers gonna use it...

Obviously the main problem here are spiteful buyers. A buyer with good intentions that just sees you were not a good fit wouldn't leave a bad review. But obviously there will also be people that try to run you into the ground. And honestly, it's not just anti-$5. I can easily see this becoming a problem for Pro sellers and TRS too, since every category has buyers with unreasonable expectations. I don't think this will make a huge difference though, since I am sure people that cheat the system will always try to find new ways to do that. 

• Like 14
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Obviously the main problem here are spiteful buyers. A buyer with good intentions that just sees you were not a good fit wouldn't leave a bad review. But obviously there will also be people that try to run you into the ground. And honestly, it's not just anti-$5. I can easily see this becoming a problem for Pro sellers and TRS too, since every category has buyers with unreasonable expectations. I don't think this will make a huge difference though, since I am sure people that cheat the system will always try to find new ways to do that. 

I don't see this as a significant problem. Yes, there are difficult buyers, and they aren't limited to those with five-dollar gigs. However, there's an argument for setting higher prices to deter bad buyers. With a higher price point, you will have more time to vet each buyer and collaborate to solve potential issues. Given that Fiverr is also lowering the demotion threshold to 4.2 (down from 4.7), I don't foresee this becoming a major problem for sellers, unless they begin to accumulate a large number of negative reviews for cancellations, in which case, it should be a major problem for the seller in question. The occasional negative review won't ruin your business if you're doing a great job for most of your buyers. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing, @smashradio!

And yeah, I can see why they wouldn't want to allow sellers to leave a review if an order is cancelled. I may not like it, but I understand the logic behind it.

10 hours ago, smashradio said:

Fiverr knows that a negative buyer experience often results in them leaving the platform. That's not good for any of us.

Unless the buyer is unreasonable, abusive, demands additional work for free and refuses to pay or to accept what was done already... That kind of buyer leaving would be good for all of us.

And considering that there is a possibility of vindictive buyers cancelling orders after the seller refuses to provide tons of additional work for free (or abusive buyers saying awful things to sellers, and sellers cancelling in pure despair, just to get rid of them), and that they'll be able to leave a review now and simply lie about the seller (and that reviews where the buyer lies don't get removed, since lying in a review is obviously not a ToS violation)... What will Fiverr do about those?

Hey, you know that someone was going to ask it. 🙂 I doubt that this change will affect me much, since I rarely have any cancellations, and most of mine are because the buyer ordered by mistake or didn't submit information (so, before the delivery), but we both know that there really are some awful buyers (and awful human beings) out there.

• Like 13
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, smashradio said:

It's not my place to announce these features, but I will say that my comment to the product- and retainment managers was, "That's awesome!"

I also had a call with some team members about the change this morning, and I'm happy to hear about the features that are coming in to help us with this. I'm not worried about this change at all. And after hearing more about it, it does make sense that sellers won't be able to review a buyer. If, as a seller, you mostly have great reviews, how you respond to a negative one goes long way in displaying your professionalism to other potential buyers, and they won't be put off. Responding agressively and arrogantly will do you more harm. 
And the rules around having reviews removed is will not change. Unless a review breaks the Terms of Service or is abusive, they will not be removed. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, catwriter said:

Unless the buyer is unreasonable, abusive, demands additional work for free and refuses to pay or to accept what was done already... That kind of buyer leaving would be good for all of us.

Yeah, but they won't leave. They'll make another profile in that case. Besides, it makes more sense to bring this to support, because doing this is not allowed. 

9 hours ago, catwriter said:

And considering that there is a possibility of vindictive buyers cancelling orders after the seller refuses to provide tons of additional work for free (or abusive buyers saying awful things to sellers, and sellers cancelling in pure despair, just to get rid of them), and that they'll be able to leave a review now and simply lie about the seller (and that reviews where the buyer lies don't get removed, since lying in a review is obviously not a ToS violation)... What will Fiverr do about those?

Hey, you know that someone was going to ask it. 🙂 I doubt that this change will affect me much, since I rarely have any cancellations, and most of mine are because the buyer ordered by mistake or didn't submit information (so, before the delivery), but we both know that there really are some awful buyers (and awful human beings) out there.

Haha, yes, of course someone had to ask. Glad it was you! 

In those cases, Fiverr will deal with it as they have done all along. Behaving like this is still not allowed. Just because a buyer can now review a cancelled order doesn't mean the rules of engagement have changed. This sort of behavior is a clear violation of terms. 

7 hours ago, smartdezigns said:

Yesterday, I got an invitation to join their meeting but @smashradio has already asked and explained everything which I actually wanted to ask.. Thank you for the update! 😊

Glad I could help! 😄

5 hours ago, leannelrivers said:

And after hearing more about it, it does make sense that sellers won't be able to review a buyer.

Exactly. Their argument is sound. Sometimes, Fiverr has to make unpopular decisions for the good of the silo... *cough* Fiverr. 

• Like 12
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, imagination7413 said:

Aside from the gig-multiples issue, the only other UX points that really bug me is 'unlimited revisions' and no notification to Buyers when the soft-limit is reached that further revisions might/will cost.

Honestly, Fiverr is missing out on potential revision revenue.

Absolutely agree. It makes no sense to let them push that button for free after the included revisions are spent. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, smashradio said:

What's more important is that sellers who are selective with their buyers and projects, manage expectations well, and ensure they're the right match for the projects they take on will handle this change just fine. This is also a selling point for Seller Plus: the information you get about your buyers through the buyer insights feature is invaluable, as it also tells you if a buyer tends to cancel a lot of orders or not.

I 100% agree regarding vetting before accepting orders. The unfortunate issue with this is that the only way I can see to truly vet a buyer and decide whether or not you're going to take on the project is if you have access to the Request To Order feature. Without this feature all the stat-peeping in the world won't help you when a buyer can simply hit "order" at any time without your approval. 

I'm a premium seller plus member so I do have access to the feature and it's been fantastic, but I have been told by individuals enrolled in the lower tier of seller plus that they do not have the feature, and of course if you aren't enrolled in seller plus at all you don't either. To me this is a basic, non-negotiable tool for running a successful business. The ability to discuss a project first and then decide if you are the best fit and able to deliver what a buyer is looking for at the highest level, and whether or not you are going to take it on is key to being able to offer a top-tier buyer experience. 

In my opinion rolling out an update to the review policy like this without also offering all sellers the ability to pre-screen orders and accept/decline them puts all sellers at a huge disadvantage and continues to feed into negative buyer experiences. The reality is many buyers will place an order without taking more than 15 seconds to review your gig, your FAQ etc. Pre-screening combats all of this to ensure understanding, and in my experience supports a great buyer and seller experience every time. Give it to every seller and I'm on board with your take. 

Edited by texvox
  • Like 12
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

It makes no sense to let them push that button for free after the included revisions are spent. 

Or, if it is allowed to push that button after the included revisions are spent, they could get a multiple choice, something like "I need more revisions" or "Seller delivered incomplete/faulty work/delivered files didn't go through". If they choose the latter, their request would proceed (and using that option to get more work than agreed upon would be a ToS violation, it should be used only when a file is missing or the seller delivered incomplete or faulty work on purpose, to make the buyer spend revisions they have available). On the other hand, if they choose "I need more revisions", they'd be instructed to purchase them.

How about that? That way, those who request revisions because the seller keeps failing to deliver completed work (and we've seen complaints that it happens) would still have the option to keep the order open until the seller delivers, and those who want additional work would have to pay for it.

• Like 11
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smashradio said:

Absolutely agree. It makes no sense to let them push that button for free after the included revisions are spent. 

We also forgot one major flaw in any Cancellation Review system that will be implemented. Regardless of the format, I am sure they can't track competitors which will ask a friend or even travel somewhere just to place an order and leave a very very bad review. The other problems like vindictive buyers might not affect everyone, but how can you identify a competitor posing as a regular client and then they leave a very bad review along with getting their money back. If Fiverr doesn't address this issue, this cancellation system will just encourage a lot of sellers to kill competitors simply by ordering and canceling, then leaving a very bad review. 

• Like 11
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, texvox said:

I 100% agree regarding vetting before accepting orders. The unfortunate issue with this is that the only way I can see to truly vet a buyer and decide whether or not you're going to take on the project is if you have access to the Request To Order feature. Without this feature all the stat-peeping in the world won't help you when a buyer can simply hit "order" at any time without your approval. 

I'm a premium seller plus member so I do have access to the feature and it's been fantastic, but I have been told by individuals enrolled in the lower tier of seller plus that they do not have the feature, and of course if you aren't enrolled in seller plus at all you don't either. To me this is a basic, non-negotiable tool for running a successful business. The ability to discuss a project first and then decide if you are the best fit and able to deliver what a buyer is looking for at the highest level, and whether or not you are going to take it on is key to being able to offer a top-tier buyer experience. 

In my opinion rolling out an update to the review policy like this without also offering all sellers the ability to pre-screen orders and accept/decline them puts all sellers at a huge disadvantage and continues to feed into negative buyer experiences. The reality is many buyers will place an order without taking more than 15 seconds to review your gig, your FAQ etc. Pre-screening combats all of this to ensure understanding, and in my experience supports a great buyer and seller experience every time. Give it to every seller and I'm on board with your take. 

I agree that this feature should be available to everyone with Seller Plus, including the lower tier. However, I don't think it should be free, and this ties in with me wanting the entire platform to be behind a paywall. While it is basic, access to benefits as a business owner is something you earn. While I agree with you that many buyers will click order without reviewing the gig properly first, this is mainly a problem with sellers at low price points, so it's a position the seller places himself in. I would agree with making it available for everyone if everyone first had to pay the price of entry. Will that ever happen? I doubt it. But they can certainly put more behind the paywall. This is like readers of my paywalled newspaper saying, "but this information is important, so it should be free for everyone to read!" Why? Why should I work for free just because I relay important information? Why should Fiverr give away the good stuff for free? Being on Fiverr is a privilege, not a right. So is the access to any feature they decide is worth charging for. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

Or, if it is allowed to push that button after the included revisions are spent, they could get a multiple choice, something like "I need more revisions" or "Seller delivered incomplete/faulty work/delivered files didn't go through". If they choose the latter, their request would proceed (and using that option to get more work than agreed upon would be a ToS violation, it should be used only when a file is missing or the seller delivered incomplete or faulty work on purpose, to make the buyer spend revisions they have available). On the other hand, if they choose "I need more revisions", they'd be instructed to purchase them.

How about that? That way, those who request revisions because the seller keeps failing to deliver completed work (and we've seen complaints that it happens) would still have the option to keep the order open until the seller delivers, and those who want additional work would have to pay for it.

It's a good idea, but we've frequently seen buyers flouting rules with impunity. It would have to be made very clear to the buyer that the option for incomplete/faulty work/delivered files that didn't go through is only to be used in those cases. But like I said, it's not a bad idea. It's better than the current system, for sure, while still allowing buyers some leeway if the delivery isn't up to par.  

42 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

We also forgot one major flaw in any Cancellation Review system that will be implemented. Regardless of the format, I am sure they can't track competitors which will ask a friend or even travel somewhere just to place an order and leave a very very bad review. The other problems like vindictive buyers might not affect everyone, but how can you identify a competitor posing as a regular client and then they leave a very bad review along with getting their money back. If Fiverr doesn't address this issue, this cancellation system will just encourage a lot of sellers to kill competitors simply by ordering and canceling, then leaving a very bad review. 

Fiverr undoubtedly needs to devise strategies to manage this sort of thing, but as you know, that's dealt with by the Trust and Safety teams, and they're basically like the CIA: If they do their job right, you'll never know about it. I also have a theory that they show up to work in black suits and sunglasses, but that's a revelation for another day. 

It's worth considering that categories with the most competition host thousands of sellers. Effectively "eliminating" this competition would be nearly impossible unless one possesses substantial financial resources. This would entail recruiting a large number of friends to purchase from all competitors, leave negative reviews, and somehow avoid detection from not just your bank, but Fiverr too. It's a hypothetical scenario that Fiverr likely contemplated and went "naaah". Sellers who might consider such extreme measures to "eliminate" the competition lack the resources to even make a dent in their category. Those who do have the resources are already successful and see no need for such tactics.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1