What do you put in your automated inbox reply?

charlsmcfarlane

Question

What should I include in my automated inbox reply? I'm interested to know if I'm missing anything important.

This is my current message:

Hi. Thanks for getting in touch. This is an automated reply to let you know I've got your message and will reply as soon as I can.

In the meantime, feel free to check out my profile page below, which contains information on all the services I offer, my certifications, experience, past clients, samples of my work and more.

https://www.fiverr.com/charlsmcfarlane

I look forward to talking to you soon.

Charles

I try to make it very clear it’s automated, so it doesn’t look like I’m trying to quickly process a customer. I also want it to be useful, so I include resources and suggestions of things they can check out.

90% of the time, I reply for real within a few minutes anyway, but I live in the UK and 90% of my clients are US based so I often get messages in the middle of the night. With this feature it hopefully helps them not feel like I’m leaving them hanging for 5+ hours 😅

Anyway, what other useful info do you put in your automated replies and what feedback do you have on mine?

Thanks

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

21 answers to this question

I haven't set anything yet, Cause that doesn't help with your response rate also it's a fake reply which I think is not necessary.

I would rather reply later when I can with a response that is related to the message the buyer sent.

Feels more natural to me.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, charlsmcfarlane said:

so I often get messages in the middle of the night. With this feature it hopefully helps them not feel like I’m leaving them hanging for 5+ hours

That's the only reason to have it on, with a message explaining that you are out of the office and your business hours.

Anything else seems redundant to me.

• Like 22
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, charlsmcfarlane said:

but I live in the UK and 90% of my clients are US based so I often get messages in the middle of the night.

I am +2 hours the UK time, and my customers are also from the US. Fiverr shows your current time so every buyer should understand you are sleeping. If they can't and they send lots of messages nagging why you are not replying.. let's say that's not a client I would work with anyway. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I've set it up, and removed it. I found that the follow through was much lower with the automated message than just having the buyer wait for my response (I always respond in well under a day). I feel like if a buyer gets an automated reply (no matter what it is), they'll be more inclined to immediately go to another seller, as they'll feel like we're not available.

It's weird, but otherwise I can't explain the fact that I can be sleeping and only reply to a buyer 8 hours after their message, and the rate at which they'll keep the conversation going is much higher than when they got the auto message with some version of "Hey, I'll get back to you within the day". They just ghosted. Now I don't have it, and 95%+ of people get back to me even if they wait 8 hours for my first reply.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 21
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, visualstudios said:

Now I don't have it, and 95%+ of people get back to me even if they wait 8 hours for my first reply.

Exactly, automated replies make the seller feel like a bot and pretty sure buyers dislike that. And as I said earlier, if a buyer has a question within the order requirements and you have an automated reply, that might not sit well with them. It's much better to have a human approach. 

• Like 17
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, charlsmcfarlane said:

What should I include in my automated inbox reply? I'm interested to know if I'm missing anything important.

I try to make it very clear it’s automated, so it doesn’t look like I’m trying to quickly process a customer. I also want it to be useful, so I include resources and suggestions of things they can check out.

90% of the time, I reply for real within a few minutes anyway, but I live in the UK and 90% of my clients are US based so I often get messages in the middle of the night. With this feature it hopefully helps them not feel like I’m leaving them hanging for 5+ hours 😅

Anyway, what other useful info do you put in your automated replies and what feedback do you have on mine?

Thanks

Not bad 😇

You can make it more interesting, too

-------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
Thanks for your message, I would love to help you out as soon as I’m available!

If you haven’t already, can you please send me a few more details about your project and company? You can provide references, a timeline, and anything else you think is important for me to know and better understand your vision.

For now, you can check out my previous work.
- Portfolio project link 1
- Portfolio project link 2
- Portfolio project link 3
- Portfolio project link 4
- Portfolio project link 5
- Portfolio project link 6
- Portfolio project link 7
- Portfolio project link 8

In progress work
- Project link

My portfolio website
https://atulcodex.com

If you’re still thinking about the details, I’m happy to advise and help decide which package will work best for your needs—or create a Custom Offer.

Cheers, Atul

Something similar to this one!

• Like 15
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:10 AM, visualstudios said:

I've set it up, and removed it. I found that the follow through was much lower with the automated message than just having the buyer wait for my response (I always respond in well under a day). I feel like if a buyer gets an automated reply (no matter what it is), they'll be more inclined to immediately go to another seller, as they'll feel like we're not available.

It's weird, but otherwise I can't explain the fact that I can be sleeping and only reply to a buyer 8 hours after their message, and the rate at which they'll keep the conversation going is much higher than when they got the auto message with some version of "Hey, I'll get back to you within the day". They just ghosted. Now I don't have it, and 95%+ of people get back to me even if they wait 8 hours for my first reply.

This is very insightful. It’s not something I considered. Thank you. I’ve switched mine off and I’m curious to see what effect it has.

• Like 15
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2023 at 4:48 AM, designer_luxury said:

You can set anything to auto reply option. But, I think it's like a bot and another buyer didn't like that. So, I think you have to reply every time you yourself.

I certainly understand this thinking. This is why, when I was using it, I’d make it very clear in the message that it’s automated and why it’s being sent. However, I’ve turned it off now and it seems to be an improvement for me, as suggested by @visualstudios.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:21 PM, zohurulhaq said:

I think auto reply is better.

Do you find it works well for you? Do you find that customers continue communicating after they receive your auto-reply? What do you put in your auto-reply?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 4:01 AM, charlsmcfarlane said:

Thanks

thanks

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 4:01 AM, charlsmcfarlane said:

I don't think this feature is useful for every profession. 

What I would like to do?

Just set up an automated message - "Hey, I'm available this time range. Please leave a message and send your queries. I will let you know ASAP".

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2023 at 11:01 PM, charlsmcfarlane said:

Thanks

Ensure your message includes a warm greeting, highlights your expertise, mentions your services, unique value proposition, invites them to explore your portfolio, includes a clear call-to-action, and expresses appreciation for their interest. Remember, a personal touch goes a long way in building lasting connections.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, abdullahseo1 said:

my Edu  and certification section disappeared. Anyone knows what is the issue image.png.211b28e9ee813a176b164b841846427a.png

Hi,
I see your education part is appearing perfect.

I think, it would be better if you open a new topic instead of commenting your (different) issue on irrelevant subject.
Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 02-47-16 abdullahseo1 Profile Fiverr.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 10:23 AM, donnovan86 said:

Exactly, automated replies make the seller feel like a bot and pretty sure buyers dislike that. And as I said earlier, if a buyer has a question within the order requirements and you have an automated reply, that might not sit well with them. It's much better to have a human approach. 

I am a newest seller. I have no orders though. I got many scammers brief. I really love to response fast manually.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I first used a similar auto-reply like "Please leave work details here I will contact you ASAP..." but then i realized that 95% of buyers always make their first message including almost all details . Then i thought it's not looking good to ask for details even after getting details. so I changed it to just "Hi, First of all, thanks for contacting me" In this way it does not feel to be as a bot but it starts the conversation. I usually reply within 10 minutes ( but I still didn't got the highly responsive badge yet LOL)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1