Client making bizarre demands, calling out for support and giving advice to struggling freelancers

ggamesstudio

Indeed things aren't always what they seem... Please, allow me to tell you about a bizarre what's-goin'-on-here order...
I appreciate all support from those who see the unjustness of this situation!
And also I will give some advice to someone who may be struggling with such things... And speaking of advice, of course if anyone has some for me, feel free to share!

1) So started working with this client around 3 months ago...
We started a project with 2.5 months delivery (Due to being overbooked).
With that project still ongoing, they requested some other stuff meanwhile, which I worked on on newly set orders and got paid for. Even got tipped all 3 times...
2) So you know, I thought to myself:
What a great client, tips a bunch, gives me lotsa work opportunities, seems friendly...
But then, PLOT TWIST!
3) So I covered the specs of the 2.5 months delivery order.
I even made it better than the agreed requirements.
Included some bonuses they requested, polished it pretty well even though level of polished was not specified, etc...
We agreed on 2 revisions, as was noted on the Custom Offer.
I covered a whole lot more... First delivery and immediately they started thinking of new additions, and previously-unmentioned specifics to the feature list.
I kept being patient and tolerant, but they just keep asking!
4) All of a sudden, the expansions and additions got way out of scope from the agreed terms!
And then they said that apparently they have future expansions and updates for the video game being developed.
And then came blackmail:
They tried to force me to accept more future work with them. They said that they would not accept the order which has already been fully checklisted regarding the agreed features + more.
So they suggested that I send them a Custom Offer for new expansions stuff and that if I were to do that they would accept the og order.
But then that became a demand.
How does it make sense to make the approval of an already-complete-as-agreed-plus-more-work dependant on accepting future work with them?
The order is for what's agreed on, and I certainly did not agree for it to depend on whether I accept more orders with them or not...
What's agreed on has been completed+more... Even the client did not deny this, yet they keep trying to make themselves sound like a saint or something...
5) Also, doesn't their preposition sound like a potential scam? As in, how do I have guarantee that they would indeed stay to their word and accept the og order if I start another order with them? Maybe it's just a ploy to try to threaten me with 2 orders instead of 1... Regardless, accepting new work should never be a requirement for completing an already-done order!
6) They tried to distort my words by saying that I mentioned how I wouldn't mind continuing more work with them and giving new updates, as long as it is compensated (Paid updates, etc).
However, it's not like I promised them that I would stick around with them no matter what! After they started with this bizarre behaviour, I of course stopped wanting to continue business with them.
It's not like the order terms specified guarantee of follow ups or whatever...
I simply told them back then, when things seemed fine, how I feel about working with them. And obviously I've changed my mind.
7) They are also pretty rude, abusive and love to throw around threats! Just like the one described in 4), but also a "hypothetical bad feedback" they wrote about me. The feedback is ridiculous and leaves out so many things that happened, like all their absurd demands! They wrote it making it sound like I quit on them for them trying to give me more paid work
8) My gig terms clearly specify that any changes to the agreed terms must be mutually agreed on.
So simply put, they can't just demand things like they do. It is my choice what I want to accept...
They even bought a gig extra without my consent, lol... The gig extra is extra revision and they listed 7 revisions in their revision request with it. lol, wait what? It's not like it says 7 revisions on that extra... And furthermore, it wasn't mutually agreed on. They just went ahead and bought that expecting it to be valid.
9) They even insulted my expertise various times, while trying to "look like on the high horse". As someone who is actually a professional, I've observed their knowledge of the subject and I can certainly conclude that it is not adequate.

It is simply so clear that what they are doing is unjust and bizarre!

So what did I do?
I simply refused to negotiate with such demands. I won't offer further support or services to them, no matter how much they complain or try to justify their unjustifiable behaviour...
They may think that I may get scared of not getting the funds, or getting bad feedback, but they simply do not have any power over me. Because I do not allow them to have...

If they write a bad review that leaves out the relevant parts of the situation, while wrongfully villainizing me, would that review be accurate?
No it would not.
What matter truly is how things actually are.

If someone sees that review, would they shun off from my services?
1 unjust bad review to which I would respond anyway among bajilllions of outstanding 5 star reviews... Well, clearly there is something wrong with them!
Will it push away certain persons from my services? Maybe... But those who I really should work with will know better than to make judgement based on 1 such review!

Whether I get these funds or not, whether this client gets away with any kind of scam/fraud regarding this... Either way Justice Always Prevails! One way or another, everybody gets what they deserve!
Due to this fact, considering how my side of things is in the clear, I truly know that I will be compensated accordingly, whether through Fiverr or not.
After all, you reap what you sow ^_^!

Ultimately, it's better to stay away from such clients and not to go after their endless demands. Instead of wasting energy with them, it's better to do more productive things! Just because some clients are like this, does not mean that everyone is. So simply move away from such situations... There are always more projects and clients, find something better!

Sure, it's nice to have the order resolved somehow... Preferably to get the payment too. But ultimately, wellbeing and proper productivity is waaay more valuable than trying to please someone who has such absurd criteria for being satisfied... If that's how their satisfaction is gauged, that is their problem.
And one way or another, Karma will do its thing ^_^

All support, feedback and suggestions is highly appreciated! If my handling of this situation helps somebody out, I'm glad ^_^!

• Like 12
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Another tip which I should have considered when starting that order:
When applicable, definitely use milestones! ^_^

You may think I might feel down because I didn't commence with that option then...
But actually, learning from the experience is indeed truly valuable ^^!

Edited by ggamesstudio
  • Like 11
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Update:
Even after thoroughly trying to explain the non-morality of their actions, the client still does not want to cooperate fairly...
They just keep saying a bunch of inaccurate things which they try to present as facts. Apparently, according to them I would be breaking my word if I were to not accept future follow ups by tying this order with them(scam alert much?). As the post elaborates, no such promises were ever made. I only told them that I would be interested in more work AFTERWARDS(As in after the order wraps up, not with blackmailing through the og order) if it is compensated. It's not like I gave some promise or something about it, I simply expressed my wish for POTENTIAL MUTUALLY AGREED FUTURE PROJECTS, back when things seemed fine with them.
But of course, when I saw all the bizarre behaviours, I certainly changed my mind and will never be doing business with them again.

I'm also trying to sort this out with Customer Support currently, which is in progress and will see how it goes. Wish me good fortune honorable Fiverr members, let's help in Justice ensuring a proper outcome ^_^!

Edited by ggamesstudio
  • Like 9
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ggamesstudio said:

I've sent a proof of delivery rar for the Fiverr Compensation Team to review. Let's see if there is indeed effective Fiverr Seller Protection...

I hope you also reported this buyer and their threats @ggamesstudio! I'm glad you're not letting this buyer push you around with their manipulative tactics (which are clearly against Fiverr's ToS). I hope CS can help you resolve your issue quickly so that you can block this buyer!

• Like 9
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

5 minutes ago, vickieito said:

I hope you also reported this buyer and their threats @ggamesstudio! I'm glad you're not letting this buyer push you around with their manipulative tactics (which are clearly against Fiverr's ToS). I hope CS can help you resolve your issue quickly so that you can block this buyer!

Thank you for the support! And indeed, freelancers should stand up to bullies like this and not succumb to their demands and threats!
Ultimately, neither those clients nor Fiverr can force anybody to continue work with them!

I reported the client's behaviour, as well as quoted multiple TOS rules which they broke. They told me about sending my reports to the relevant team for review. However, they also noted that their investigation would be private, so I'm not sure what details I'll get regarding it from them.
I do hope the Fiverr intervention resolves fairly, but if anything, at least we're spreading the word!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Edit Update:
After re-reading my initial post, I'd like to clarify about the client's gig extra purchase:
This was done after like a bunch revisions already done(Way more than agreed 2 and before that they did not pay for any revisions). They purchased the gig extra in the midst of the whole them-trying-to-threaten-me while I-refuse-to-negotiate-with-such-demands situation, without even discussing it or even giving a heads up.

And also, I even announced to them in advance that I'll be taking vacation(As can be seen on my seller profile my availability denotes it July 4-August 8), which I am taking now! And I delievered on time, but then their buncha revisions made it outstretch more than I booked in my schedule for this project. Which isn't fair in itself, as anything not in the agreed terms and certainly out of scope should have been left for follows up without them being tied to this order.

Well regardless of the case, I will definitely not be continuing any work with this client for obvious reasons. So I'm certainly gonna enjoy my vacation now, woohoo ^_^!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:46 PM, ggamesstudio said:

All support, feedback and suggestions is highly appreciated! If my handling of this situation helps somebody out, I'm glad ^_^!

Apologies if I miss the mark here, I had GPT summarize your pretty lengthy post, so bear with me if my reply's a bit off. I'm pretty sure I caught the main points though. It's Sunday and I'm feelin' lazy. 🤣

From what I can tell, you did the right thing. Getting all scared of a bad review and letting buyers push you around is a slippery slope. Besides, it's flat-out against the terms. I'd take this straight to support, let 'em know this buyer's holding a bad review over your head unless you work for free or bow to their demands. Buyers like this should be invited to leave the platform.

Good on you for standing your ground! I'd have done the same.

• Like 8
  • Up 1

You're absolutely right not wanting to tie one order to another and/or future order. I can't stand it if people try that. Usually, it's kind of a "blackmail/hostage" situation, and it's beyond me how anyone can be rude and unprofessional enough to put a business partner in that situation, or not see that.

However, I'm willing to assume that some people really can't see it, but if they still can't, or claim they can't, after explaining, I'll shirk from such situations and people posthaste.

Well done, standing your ground, and enjoy your vacation!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 11:13 PM, smashradio said:

Apologies if I miss the mark here, I had GPT summarize your pretty lengthy post, so bear with me if my reply's a bit off. I'm pretty sure I caught the main points though. It's Sunday and I'm feelin' lazy. 🤣

From what I can tell, you did the right thing. Getting all scared of a bad review and letting buyers push you around is a slippery slope. Besides, it's flat-out against the terms. I'd take this straight to support, let 'em know this buyer's holding a bad review over your head unless you work for free or bow to their demands. Buyers like this should be invited to leave the platform.

Good on you for standing your ground! I'd have done the same.

Yup, reported them... And indeed, no point in getting stringed along, spot on!
Not just the review threat, but trying to tie accepting future projects as a "prerequisite" to approving the already complete order.

• Like 6
  • Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, miiila said:

You're absolutely right not wanting to tie one order to another and/or future order. I can't stand it if people try that. Usually, it's kind of a "blackmail/hostage" situation, and it's beyond me how anyone can be rude and unprofessional enough to put a business partner in that situation, or not see that.

However, I'm willing to assume that some people really can't see it, but if they still can't, or claim they can't, after explaining, I'll shirk from such situations and people posthaste.

Well done, standing your ground, and enjoy your vacation!

I know, right!!
I mean geez, it's basic principles...

Thank you for the support and indeed so I will enjoy this vacation ^_^

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Update:
1) Order has auto-completed.
Buyer put extended review with +5 days. I kept refusing to agree to their unjust demands.
2) CS Supervisor has guaranteed to me that the buyer would not be eligible to a refund considering the work being complete based on the agreement
The policy for refunds is the same as for buyer requested order cancellations
3) Blocked the buyer with the order wrapped up (Obviously...)

• Like 6
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ggamesstudio said:

Update:
1) Order has auto-completed.
Buyer put extended review with +5 days. I kept refusing to agree to their unjust demands.
2) CS Supervisor has guaranteed to me that the buyer would not be eligible to a refund considering the work being complete based on the agreement
The policy for refunds is the same as for buyer requested order cancellations
3) Blocked the buyer with the order wrapped up (Obviously...)

Glad to hear it "autoed". Good riddance. 

• Like 7
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1