Got a Copyright Warning with no Explanation

stephengilliam

Question

So I received an order asking for a drunken pirate driving a car and I used a stock image as the bases for the pirate. I was under the impression we could use stock images in our work on Fiverr if they are modified (anyone please correct me if I'm misinformed). A few days later after the order was complete I receive a pop up screen on the app that just says I have a copyright violation warning. There was no information as to what work was in question or what the violation was. I had to reach out to support to find out. After several canned messages I was able to get support to re-review the work and I provided my photoshop and illustrator files to show my work. I just received a reply back that the violation stands and that I violated copyright. At some points I felt the replies were ai generated the way they were just blanket statements with no explanation. Any thoughts or insights on this would be helpful as I don't want to get another violation and mess up my account I have in good standing for over 4 years and support is just sending the same message with how the violation stands with "kind regards".

image.png

image.png

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

2 answers to this question

Depends on the terms of use of the stock image you used, did you check to see if the copyright holder allows you to use it for commercial purposes? Plus, permission to modify? Permission to use it without attribution? Plus permission to resell the image to clients? Plus any other terms? Or did you buy the stock image from websites such as Depositphotos who issue standard/extended licenses for commercial usage? I am not sure Fiverr issues copyright strikes unless someone raised it up with them, as in DMCA takedown requests. But yes, you may have to refer to the terms of use of the stock image to understand if one of those clauses may have caused this, copyright laws can be complicated.

• Like 16

I used dreamstime.com and from what I've read I in my licencing agreement I had permission to use and modify the image. I've been looking over fiverr's policies more closely to try and understand what may have been the cause but I guess that's my main frustration is that Fiverr would do this and not offer any explanation. I love this platform but there are times I don't feel very supported by it.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2