How do you get your first order? Am I doing something wrong?

chrisdoesedits

Question

Hello Fiverr Community,

I just joined Fiverr almost two weeks ago, but I still haven't received any orders yet on my gig. I went back and edited my gig several times to make it more appealing, even lowered my pricing by a lot, but still no orders are coming in. My gig currently has 60 "impressions" and 3 "clicks." I'm not sure what else I should try to do in order to get orders coming in. I have posted a link to my gig below for you to see what kind of service I'm offering. Can anyone tell me if there's anything visually wrong with my gig that would prevent me from getting an order? Thank you. 

https://www.fiverr.com/s/lgL2a2

• Like 7

3 answers to this question

Hi @chrisdoesedits! Welcome to the forum and Fiverr!

It takes time to get your first order, especially in this economy. I got my first proofreading order within two weeks of posting my gig. I think @vickiespencer (Top-rated Seller and proofreader) got her first order within 45 days. Some new sellers take even longer to get their first order.

13 minutes ago, chrisdoesedits said:

My gig currently has 60 "impressions" and 3 "clicks."

That's pretty good. You have impressions, which means Fiverr is showing you to buyers. Your goal is to convert those impressions to clicks, and the clicks into orders. So work on your conversion rate.

If your clicks are low, that means buyers aren't interested in learning more about your services. So you have to make your gig card more attractive. Buyers only have a few seconds to decide which gigs they will click on in search, so make sure your gig image has only 1-3 words describing your services and a relevant image. Too many words will cause buyers to gloss over your gig and move on to the next one. Try to get your gig title shorter so that buyers can read the whole thing without hovering over it.

Also, in lieu of orders and reviews, the biggest thing that will perk the interest of your buyers is your portfolio samples. If you don't have any, make sure to use this time to create some. I had buyers approach me specifically because of a portfolio sample they saw, and they wanted me to do the same for them.

If you are getting inquiries, pay close attention to what the buyers are saying. I only offered proofreading when I first started but quickly expanded my services to 7 gigs within 2 weeks because of the requests that I was getting in my inbox. Data entry is what took off and resume writing is what allowed me to do freelancing full-time within several months. I don't think I ever got a real "proofreading" order yet - my only proofreading orders were related to ESL clients whose words had to be fixed to sound more natural. So that was editing. I do a lot of editing.

Here are several articles that I wrote to help newbies get started:

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/286042-📈-fiverr-simplified-two-tips-to-selling-more-earning-more/

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/293675-%F0%9F%93%88-fiverr-simplified-get-matched/

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/284256-no-orders-here-are-7-updates-you-can-make-during-the-slow-times/

• Like 8

Hi Chris. One thing that you could definitely try is different, more relevant gig images - as the "portfolio" that Vickie mentioned.

As you don't have "social proof" in form of feedback yet, your gig images are a really important resource that you may be wasting currently. You could use images of an unedited and edited Word file side by side, ideally of actual editing/proofreading jobs you did (after asking the person for permission to post it, of course), or you could type up a text that has some of the common typos and basd grammar and use that.

I think that's more informative for customers and stands out more than one of those stock image editing pics that so many people use.

At the moment, your gig images are your only way to show people what you do, and using more relevant ones, like samples of what you did/can do, or yourself while editing, or one that visually shows how many words people get with the gig packages might help. Unless that changed, you can also upload 2 PDFs on top of the 3 gig images, by the way. More space to shine, and probably many competitors don't know or don't make use of it. 

Another idea could be to try come up with a more business related gig or two, as you mention being a business grad. Perhaps offer a dedicated proofreading/editing gig specifically for documents to do with x, y, and z related business-y topic, to make it more obvious for people why they may want to hire a business grad for proofreading/editing versus an English language grad. Or even come up with an actual "business gig" or two or three, making use of your actual education focus, to try out, there may be less (established) competition, and maybe you can even find (mostly) uncharted waters and land a hit, you never know. 

• Like 4