Birthday Blues . . .

mae_creativity

On 6/8/2023 at 3:41 PM, mae_creativity said:

First of all thank you for sharing that video—it cracked me up!!!

I'm super interested in /and like to research cultural traditions. Because of what you wrote, now I really want to learn about Advent in Norway. Not sure where to look online (most sources aren't reliable). When I get curious about something, I get very curious. What is this calendar with 24 gifts??? Is it a gigantic calendar with normal sized gifts? Or is the calendar normal sized, but with tiny gifts like candy, miniature things, and tiny dolls? Before I explode (with both curiosity + excitement --I feel like I'm about to get 24 gifts!), please tell me more and/or can u suggest where I can read about it? 🏵️   

It can be anything you want to. Most people just buy a cardboard calendar that counts down the days until Christmas with small chocolates hidden behind each date. Others use calendars with actual small gifts hanging on the calendar. My wife made ours by hand, and we hang tiny presents on it (anything from candy to toys for our son). 

image.thumb.png.f49cb52bfc7bf52d1420e9d40822dc86.png

They're also popular in other Scandinavian countries, and probably elsewhere as well. Not sure where you can read more about them, but if you just Google "Adventskalender" and translate the pages, I'm sure you'll find more 😄 

We also do this with something called a "Christmas Calendar", which are TV shows with one episode every day until Christmas. It's mostly made for kids, with series like "Christmas at Blue Mountain" being a classic from my childhood. Some of them are for adults, like "Christmas at Blood Mountain" (dark humor/one person gets offed each day until Christmas at a dark scary hotel where a crazy family is celebrating Christmas in order to get the heritage of an old family member). 

image.thumb.png.d34e3ae6dc3bfbf99fdb1e39220217d1.png

On 6/8/2023 at 3:51 PM, vickieito said:

This doesn't work because it's very accessible and all the chocolates disappear after the first few days.

If physical gifts don't work, you could do a creative spin on this by doing something nice for each other every day until Christmas. Or you know... Have a bit of discipline 😄 

• Like 4

OH POOP!
Happy birthday, @mae_creativity, I know I am sooooo late but I still want to wish you a late happy birthday, and I'm so sorry you were having the blues.
Seems like your birthday was last week so hopefully the blue-phase is gone now, and you're feeling happy.
My birthday doesn't come until October, but for me it's day where I have the perfect excuse to eat whatever the heck I want.
Back when I had my 16th birthday my mother allowed me to have one little glass of this peach champagne, and boy did it taste good.
(BTW I'm sipping wine as I'm typing this, oh my innocence is gone. )

I'm glad a lot of people left comments for you 😄 😄 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:05 AM, zeus777 said:

OH POOP!
Happy birthday, @mae_creativity, I know I am sooooo late but I still want to wish you a late happy birthday, and I'm so sorry you were having the blues.
Seems like your birthday was last week so hopefully the blue-phase is gone now, and you're feeling happy.
My birthday doesn't come until October, but for me it's day where I have the perfect excuse to eat whatever the heck I want.
Back when I had my 16th birthday my mother allowed me to have one little glass of this peach champagne, and boy did it taste good.
(BTW I'm sipping wine as I'm typing this, oh my innocence is gone. )

I'm glad a lot of people left comments for you 😄 😄 😄

Hi zeus! So nice of you—thanks and cheers!. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1