VO Artists - Be careful what you agree to.

leannelrivers

There is no way on Earth that SAG let's that stand and it will probably be the first thing to go when they get to the negotiating table in June - especially considering what a hot button issue AI is in general, in the industry. (this could be a very ugly couple of years in Hollywood...)

That said, there is a whole lot of non-union work at the low end in which the actors will not have union protection to fall back on, and a lot of them will probably sign contracts like these. I wouldn't put it past the smaller studios to start cataloging all these performances in the chance that one or more of these actors hits it big later on down the line, and then the real circus begins.

I've said this before, but I'm not worried that AI will replace human creativity and expression... I'm worried that it'll be able to do juuuuuust good enough of a job that most people won't care, and that is not only scary, but also really, really depressing.

But either way - never EVER sign anything without reading it in full. (that's just a life pro tip, in general)

Edited by terrygrantvo
  • Like 7
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, terrygrantvo said:

That said, there is a whole lot of non-union work at the low end in which the actors will not have union protection to fall back on, and a lot of them will probably sign contracts like these.

Agree. I think entry into unions should be made easier for less experienced artists. Of course, some professional experience and proof of skills should be required. But newbies need protection just as much as well-established artists because they're the most likely to sign their lives away to land a job or to get that holy grail EXPOSURE. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

Agree. I think entry into unions should be made easier for less experienced artists.

Supermarket and factory workers are unionized in the US, but enforceable because large corporations can be targeted by strikes, etc...  If you are Disney you can be affected by a SAG/AFTRA or Writer's Guild strike, but here, in the decentralized world, Joe's plumbing will just go with a $10 seller on Fiverr and call it a day.  

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newsmike said:

Joe's plumbing will just go with a $10 seller on Fiverr and call it a day.  

I'll never forget my theatre days in London when I was desperately trying to get into a union. I didn't have enough "serious" credits under my belt. I dunno, but I think trooping through a 10 week run of Hamlet on nothing but tea, biscuits and waitressing tips is pretty serious. 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

But newbies need protection just as much as well-established artists because they're the most likely to sign their lives away to land a job or to get that holy grail EXPOSURE. 

Which is what makes them so tough to protect. It's hard enough to even get them to sign up and agree to act as one in solidarity when they're struggling to pay rent. It's also partly why a union like SAG has the requirements it does, in terms of eligibility - they can't make unilateral decisions in the best interest of the majority of their members if their needs are all over the place.

7 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Supermarket and factory workers are unionized in the US, but enforceable because large corporations can be targeted by strikes, etc...  If you are Disney you can be affected by a SAG/AFTRA or Writer's Guild strike, but here, in the decentralized world, Joe's plumbing will just go with a $10 seller on Fiverr and call it a day.  

Yeah, unfortunately a union full of actors desperate for any kind of work is never going to instill fear into the hearts of the suits on the studio lot. Or buyers on Fiverr.

Edited by terrygrantvo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, terrygrantvo said:

Which is what makes them so tough to protect. It's hard enough to even get them to sign up and agree to act as one in solidarity when they're struggling to pay rent. It's also partly why a union like SAG has the requirements it does, in terms of eligibility - they can't make unilateral decisions in the best interest of the majority of their members if their needs are all over the place.

Yeah, unfortunately a union full of actors desperate for any kind of work is never going to instill fear into the hearts of the suits on the studio lot. Or buyers on Fiverr.

Yep, Hollywood can make everything it needs with a few dozen stars and a few hundred extras.  Have been for a long time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Yep, Hollywood can make everything it needs with a few dozen stars and a few hundred extras.

And quality content isn't their concern. I can't remember the last time I left a big cinema satisfied. The last thing I saw was Avatar: Way of Water. I wasn't impressed at all. It's the closest I've ever been to causing a fuss and asking for my money back. And great writers can't pay the rent.  

Edited by leannelrivers
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

And quality content isn't their concern. I can't remember the last time I left a big cinema satisfied. The last thing I saw was Avatar: Way of Water. I wasn't impressed at all. It's the closest I've ever been to causing a fuss asking for my money back. And great writers can't pay the rent.  

I usually watch a movie almost every day. For the most part I have found the most satisfaction with the era of 1945-1965. Prior to that the technology sucked and after that culture sucked as the world suffered the 1970's, This is probably also because I am a huge fan of film noir.  So much that I never knew about from that era.  The "Golden age" of Hollywood. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, newsmike said:

The "Golden age" of Hollywood. 

The Garbage Age shows no signs of slowing. Distract the audience from the abysmal script by throwing CGI on top of more CGI, add some superheroes and maybe throw in a dinosaur or a great white shark with an atomic bomb strapped to it and franchise the hell out of it. Job done.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

The Garbage Age shows no signs of slowing. Distract the audience from the abysmal script by throwing CGI on top of more CGI, add some superheroes and maybe throw in a dinosaur or a great white shark with an atomic bomb strapped to it and franchise the hell out of it. Job done.

Is art imitating life, or vice versa?  40 years ago Shakespeare was required in High School English class. Now there are literally college classes on Harry Potter. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newsmike said:

I think it's a kebab stand in the west end. 

Ah, yes. I remember hearing many tales of the greasy iambic pentameter while waiting in the theatre wings. I never went, though. They wanted pounds in exchange for kebabs. I only had exposure. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1