How to deal with plagiarism report

silvanostagni

Question

I am an expert in financial regulations. So when I was asked to ghost an article on financial regulations, I thought I had no problems. A plagiarism report counts as plagiarism sentences I wrote simply because a legal website agrees with me (there are only so many ways to say that a specific action is not allowed or that a regulator supervises financial institutions in its jurisdiction); also it counts as plagiarism credited quotes and (credited) sources of information. I am now risking a cancellation I do not need (I am "coming back" from a period of inactivity) for something I feel I have no control. Any suggestion on how to deal with this?

• Like 5
  • Up 1

4 answers to this question

You could let the buyer know what you've told us, that it's counting the quotes that you've done as plagiarism when it shouldn't be etc.

In future maybe run it through a plagiarism checker yourself before delivering it to try to make sure it gives a low figure.

If they still think some sections (that aren't quotes) are too like some other text you could offer to rewrite those sections of the article, while explaining that they weren't plagiarised.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

You could let the buyer know what you've told us, that it's counting the quotes that you've done as plagiarism when it shouldn't be etc.

In future maybe run it through a plagiarism checker yourself before delivering it to try to make sure it gives a low figure.

If they still think some sections (that aren't quotes) are too like some other text you could offer to rewrite those sections of the article, while explaining that they weren't plagiarised.

My problem is that there are certain statements, like "a global market with local regulation", that cannot be said in many other ways. I thought that a plagiarism report would pick longer text; mainly when you write about rules and regulations, there will be short groups of words used by somebody else, simply because there are not many ways to say "EMIR requires both parties to report."

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, silvanostagni said:

My problem is that there are certain statements, like "a global market with local regulation", that cannot be said in many other ways.

If you explain all that to them and the fact that it is incorrectly counting quotes as plagiarism they might understand that and accept the delivery. Though if they don't you could still offer to change it while letting them know that it's not plagiarised at all and that those are standard terms used or something like that.

Here's a few alternatives for that text that perplexity.ai gave:

Globalization with local adaptation, Global market with regional regulations, International trade with local compliance, Global commerce with regional governance, Global economy with local oversight, Worldwide market with local standards, Global business with regional laws, International marketing with local requirements, Global trade with local restrictions, Globalization with regional customization

though some of them might get picked up in a plagiarism report if they're used frequently.

Here's perplexity.ai's alternatives for "EMIR requires both parties to report." (though again, some of these might also get flagged as plagiarism I suppose):

Both counterparties are obligated to report under EMIR.

EMIR mandates reporting from both parties involved.

Reporting is required from both sides under EMIR.

EMIR necessitates reporting from both counterparties.

Both parties are responsible for reporting under EMIR.

EMIR imposes a reporting obligation on both parties.

Reporting is mandatory for both counterparties under EMIR.

Both parties are subject to reporting requirements under EMIR.

EMIR demands reporting from both sides of the transaction.

Both counterparties must comply with EMIR's reporting obligation.

But you could explain the limitations of plagiarism checkers and how they're incorrectly marking as plagiarism standard phrases or something.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6