Would Fiverr ever limit the amount of sellers in one category?

samcaff

Why would they? More sellers means more sales and more profit. They will add limits like a minimum price or stuff like that, however they won't limit the amount of sellers. It just doesn't make any financial sense. Plus, you're limiting talent, maybe there are way more talented people wanting to reach the platform.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I think for a small number of categories they have limited gigs to only Pro sellers (eg. in Digital Marketing->Public Relations all except one gig is from a Pro seller I think). And Graphics & Design->Building Information Modelling only has 1 page of results and they're all by Pro sellers.

Also maybe their could be limits to the number of TRS they add for certain categories (I don't know if that's the case though).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sure, but generally they will not bring any limitations. I can see a couple of categories limited to certain seller levels, but even then.. you can easily set a minimum pricepoint and also vet sellers beforehand instead of limiting the number of users within that category. That would make no sense.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

They also have some categories where they only allow sellers who have passed a particular Fiverr skill test to publish a gig there. Though that's not a specific limit on the number gigs. They have also been doing more checks of sellers (eg. people have said on the forum that their seller profile wasn't accepted, and that was after trying to create a gig or creating one and publishing it), though again that's likely not a limit on the number of gigs, just some quality checks/maybe checks for copying/plagiarism/authenticity.

Though they do limit the number of results pages to 20 (I think they used to sometimes go to slightly more like to page 21), though buyers can filter the results so find gigs that wouldn't have shown if they'd just paged through those 20. And sometimes not everyone's gig is in the search index even though it's "active" so they're limiting it that way (maybe based on private ratings).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Though they do limit the number of results pages to 20 (I think they used to sometimes go to slightly more like to page 21)

If that is the case, about 300 offers are displayed at a time. In contrast, I've seen some categories with over 6k seller offers available.     

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, wayne_mt said:

If that is the case, about 300 offers are displayed at a time. In contrast, I've seen some categories with over 6k seller offers available.   

They limit the search results to 20 pages but, if there are more than can be displayed in those 20 pages the user can use the extra search filters (such as selecting the seller level they want to see or entering a maximum price etc.) to see gigs that they wouldn't have seen just through paging through the 20 pages.

20 pages of gigs will get approx 960 gigs (48 gigs normally shown on a page x 20 pages=960 gigs, though the first page can show a few more (eg. in the recommended sort it might show 4 extra at the top, eg. in a "high repeat buyers" section - though that section can include gig(s) that also appear in the main results section, so in that case it won't be showing 52 unique gigs on the page).

But it might be fairer/better if they allowed more than 20 results pages though (like they seemed to allow in the past - maybe they could allow 30 pages of results, eg. Google doesn't stop at 20 results pages) so they could page through more to find the gigs they want and give more gigs a better chance (without having to specify certain filters).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 4:53 AM, donnovan86 said:

Why would they? More sellers means more sales and more profit.

Not really. If 1.5 million potential buyers per day search for talented sellers on Fiverr, is it not better that they are given, let's say, 900 vetted, talented, literate choices, as opposed to having to search for those good sellers amongst a sea of tens of thousands of sellers, many marginally to completely untalented, faking their qualifications, lying about their English proficiency, stealing content and using software like ChatGPT and auto refreshers to hide their dishonest offers? 

The same amount of profit would be made, just across a truly talented collection of sellers, pickpockets would not be making sales.

Win-Win.

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, newsmike said:

900 vetted, talented, literate choices,

That's why they have Pro, right? The truth is that not everyone is going to have a budget for very talented sellers and will always look for a deal. Plus, the platform itself was built on that same moniker, variety. I agree with the things you said, but I can't see Fiverr limiting people to just a few options. I agree a LOT of sellers shouldn't even be on the platform.

But honestly that's the same for buyers. I am pushed back in search now because one dude ordered thinking he was paid, another one ordered and canceled right away, and Fiverr canceled an order that was 4 years old but that penalized me. And now due to those cancellations I am back in search without any orders or people contacting me. So yeah.. the system itself needs a revamp, 3 cancellations out of which none was my fault shouldn't have an impact on my account. Yet they do.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think this will happen any time soon. There are more than 150,000 sellers who offer logo design services. If Fiverr wanted to put a cap then they would have done it already in this category.

There are many fields where there are not enough sellers too. Too many players bring more competition I guess, so it is good from Fiverr's perspective.

Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1