Clarification Response Rate Drop + Request: SPAM button for app / Changing deceptive text

miiila

As I know I'm not alone with inexplicable drops in the response rate, maybe this clarification from support helps others, too:

I can certainly understand your point of view, so let me clarify this further.

When you report a message as spam within 24 hours from the moment you received it, it will not affect your Inbox response rate since reporting a message as spam is considered a response to a message. If you block another user as shown in the screenshot you sent, it will only prevent them from messaging you, which does not have anything to do with you being required to reply to every message within 24 hours unless you mark them as spam. That's exactly what the message "This will not affect your response rate" means (your response does not depend on this). I have to agree that it is pretty confusing and that we could express ourselves better, since, written this way, it sounds like your response rate will not decrease if you block the user from messaging you.

Also, to report spam on the mobile app, please use the Send Feedback option, which then contacts the Fiverr team.

Please be advised that spam must be reported within 24 hours. You have the option to "unmark as spam" if you would like to respond. If you do so, you must respond within 24 hours, or it will affect your response rate. If you block a user from contacting you, you must also report their messages as spam to avoid having your Response Rate drop. 

Hope I managed to clarify how everything works.

"I have to agree that it is pretty confusing and that we could express ourselves better, since, written this way, it sounds like your response rate will not decrease if you block the user from messaging you."

Yes, indeed, that's exactly what it sounds like, and what it says, so I'm not sure why it doesn't get written in a less confusing way then? Why dupe us into thinking it won't affect our response rate? It literally says, "This will not affect your response rate." – and we get penalized by drops in our response rate for trusting what's written there.

(Kafka comes to mind, once again, doesn't he @leannelrivers ;))

Anyway, I did ask to please make it less confusing and passing it on to the devs/coders/relevant team that it also should be consistent between desktop and app – there is no Spam button on the app, just the Block button (with that, yes, very confusing and weirdly worded message, that, yes, does sound like our response rate will not decrease, as it exactly says that it won't). And it costs even more time on the app to react to the spam in the exact right way, then.

Some of us get an incredible amount of spam.
And sometimes, we aren't close to our pc for a whole 24 hours, just imagine, or don't want to power it up and waste expensive electric energy, on top of our human energy, as well, just to handle the constant spam load soon enough to not forget it and see our response rate and potentially level drop (because of *spam*!), and spend our time on, you know, actual work and communication with actual customers on the platform.

Can we please get a "consistent Spam handling" between desktop and app, so we at least "only" have to press a Spam button per spam message on the app as well, just like we can on desktop?

And if that's not possible, for whatever reason, please get rid of that text that lulls us into the obviously wrong sense of security of having done everything we needed to do to protect our response rate.

Thank you.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 57
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely understand how a Spam button would help. That being said, this is easily handled by setting up a quick response when you receive spam. Something like "Thank you for writing, however, this message is considered spam and you run the risk of being blocked if you message us without requiring our services."

That will handle the spam quickly and you can block the person afterward, and will count as a response. Having it be a quick response message makes it so it takes the exact amount of time to send it then it would to just press a button for spam.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 2:53 AM, miiila said:

there is no Spam button on the app

39 minutes ago, mabelma said:

Definitely understand how a Spam button would help.

Now there is a spam button on the mobile app! (from the new Help Center article):

image.thumb.png.6c22b937a8a4d387a55533eeda210210.png

Even so, I complained to my Success Manager that my response rate was falling even though I was religiously marking every message as spam, right away. My Success Manager looked at my stats and said that one of my spam messages (that Fiverr already marked as spam) was "accidentally" counted towards my response rate. She immediately changed my response rate back to 100%. So it looks like the system can be wrong sometimes. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 42
  • Up 3

22 hours ago, vickieito said:

So it looks like the system can be wrong sometimes. 🤷‍♀️

I've had that happen quite often. Thanks for the post, I was searching for the Spam button, and already wanted to ask if you have an iPhone, while I'm on Android, but it's just well-hidden. For anyone else who is looking for it, it's not near the "Block user" button in the drop-down where I expected it, but you need to mark the text of the spam message, and then you'll get the 2 options "Copy" and "Report spam".

I fear, from experience, I can only recommend to still use a QR for each and every spam message that you get first, and only then use the Spam, Block or Flag option, and thus waste even more of your time on your daily spam, and to take screenshots, too, because else, you don't have a way to prove when you reacted to the spam message, you only get a date stamp when you actually reply with text. I've had loads of spam messages that I did reply to, with text, but after Fiverr processes them, the message of the spammer is gone, together with its time stamp, so, even though there's a message from you, it doesn't show that you responded timely. IMO, the "spam system" needs some major overhaul to automatically make sure that "the system can be wrong sometimes" doesn't happen, and sellers don't get penalized with all potential consequences (no new customers sent their way, losing their level, having to ask support which of the dozens of spam messages lately did affect their response rate this time, etc.).

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, miiila said:

I've had that happen quite often. Thanks for the post, I was searching for the Spam button, and already wanted to ask if you have an iPhone, while I'm on Android, but it's just well-hidden. For anyone else who is looking for it, it's not near the "Block user" button in the drop-down where I expected it, but you need to mark the text of the spam message, and then you'll get the 2 options "Copy" and "Report spam".

I fear, from experience, I can only recommend to still use a QR for each and every spam message that you get first, and only then use the Spam, Block or Flag option, and thus waste even more of your time on your daily spam, and to take screenshots, too, because else, you don't have a way to prove when you reacted to the spam message, you only get a date stamp when you actually reply with text. I've had loads of spam messages that I did reply to, with text, but after Fiverr processes them, the message of the spammer is gone, together with its time stamp, so, even though there's a message from you, it doesn't show that you responded timely. IMO, the "spam system" needs some major overhaul to automatically make sure that "the system can be wrong sometimes" doesn't happen, and sellers don't get penalized with all potential consequences (no new customers sent their way, losing their level, having to ask support which of the dozens of spam messages lately did affect their response rate this time, etc.).

Do you find that after you use a QR people keep spamming you or do they stop messaging? I personally always send a QR and that solves the issue, only when people insist do I end up marking them as spam.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3