Multiple questions in gig requirements

catwriter

So, here's my dilemma (and I think it can be a useful topic for discussing pros and cons, so I'm putting it in conversations): 

I'm thinking about revamping my gig requirements, to avoid confusion and make buyers better aware of everything I need from them. So far, I've been listing all the questions (well, the most important ones) within one free text requirement. The trouble is, we get only 400 characters for that...but I was afraid to use multiple fields in case that buyers would find it annoying.

My question for you is this: do you use just one field in gig requirements, or multiple fields? And do your buyers find it annoying? Does someone cancel the order because they can't be bothered to fill everything in?

I'd especially like to know how it works for sellers with lower prices (say, gigs with $20 or even $10 or $5 as the starting price). I guess that those who order something for $5,000 expect to give long(ish) instructions, or are at least not surprised by thorough requirements, but what about those who spend $20?

Thank you!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, catwriter said:

The trouble is, we get only 400 characters for that...but I was afraid to use multiple fields in case that buyers would find it annoying.

I think the 3 questions that Fiverr has inserted themselves which appear above your questions are far more annoying.  I only use one very broad question as a catch all and it reads:

"Please tell me about the style you are looking for. Also tell me about any special direction, pronunciations or instructions needed. You may include links to YouTube videos or samples in my portfolio to demonstrate the style of delivery you want."

I suppose I could add more, but so far this has worked. Curious to see what you end up with. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, catwriter said:

My question for you is this: do you use just one field in gig requirements, or multiple fields? And do your buyers find it annoying?

I was dismayed when I saw the three additional questions that have been added to the order requirements, so I changed mine. One is an absolute must: Add your script file. They can't proceed without doing that. The second one is not a requirement but says "I know you might be sick of reading and answering questions and just want to order your VO - I get it! But if you have a spare minute, please look at my FAQs lower down on my gig page after ordering. Some useful info there."

I don't like the other new questions. Sneaky. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I have two for my Beta gig. A mandatory-document-file upload and an option text field that's more of a prompt: "(Optional) Anything you specifically want me to look for, such as Out Of Character moments, moments of excessive time dilation, or cliché tropes." (My 'art' gigs all severely need updating, thanks for the reminder.)

Now I'm curious: If I craft a custom order and select 'skip requirements', does it still prompt for the Fiverr ones? Do gigs that have no requirements have the Fiverr ones?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

My question for you is this: do you use just one field in gig requirements, or multiple fields? And do your buyers find it annoying? Does someone cancel the order because they can't be bothered to fill everything in?

I'd especially like to know how it works for sellers with lower prices (say, gigs with $20 or even $10 or $5 as the starting price). I guess that those who order something for $5,000 expect to give long(ish) instructions, or are at least not surprised by thorough requirements, but what about those who spend $20?

I have 5 questions in my requirements of which 4 are obligatory to fill in. I'll break it down for clarity:

1. Which language they want the poem to be in (Dutch or English).
99% of my clients want it to be in English, but it's still necessary for me to know in case a Dutch client happens to want the poem to be in English.

2. What or who they want the poem to be about.
This is quite a lengthy question, including reasons why I need to know it as well as a few examples for them in case they have no idea what to write. 

3. If they have a preferred rhyme scheme.

4. Why they want this poem to be about this person/thing.
Although this can be answered in question #2, I noticed this prompts buyers to provide me with additional information I otherwise wouldn't have received. It also provides me with a better idea of their thoughts/intentions for the poem. 

5. If there's anything else they'd want me to know before I get started.
This question is not obligatory. But I find including this question makes buyers feel secure that they've truly provided me with all I need. 

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

And do your buyers find it annoying? Does someone cancel the order because they can't be bothered to fill everything in?

I can imagine some buyers find it annoying 😅 However, I noticed that some who can't be bothered just fill in N/A. I've never had any cancellations based on the amount of requirements. 

Even with all my questions I sometimes still have to ask a bit more on the order page to make sure I understand their wishes/ask them to elaborate on some details. But by separating my requirements into 5 questions I think buyers have a sort of overview because it goes step by step. 

My buyers find it annoying (at least none of them have told me haha) but instead comforting in a way that they feel heard. However, this might be the case due to the niche I'm working in which involves a lot of processing of feelings & emotions. Also because it's often for special occasions they want it to be perfect so they prefer my 'the more the better' approach when it comes to sharing info.  

In short: Based on my experience, it's perfectly fine to have multiple requirements!  

Edited by sabinespoems
  • Like 12
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

True, the 3 Fiverr questions are far more annoying ( in fact at first I wasn't even aware that the darn thing existed!),
but the 2 questions I added myself is a must.

I'm sure for some buyers it's annoying but it's very important for me.
I've had way too many sneaky buyers. Not sure how much it's working though, but oh well.😅

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nickj2013 said:

Most of my clients and I discuss their order goals via inbox. I think forcing them to answer questions during the order process is unnecessary.

If they contact me first and we discuss everything through the inbox, I can send them a custom offer and tell them to just write "as discussed" )or something similar) in the requirements field. But most of my orders are direct orders.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, kendal1747 said:

I feel that the buyers are annoyed, when they have to read a lot of requirements. Most just want to get their order started and finished. At least that has been my experience. 

I really understand the buyer feelings about it.

Personally, the reason why I add some questions (4 questions actually) is to prevent misunderstanding and lack of details about the project. Let's say, security as seller in case it turns into a cancellation or something else. Anyway, almost 95% of my orders were custom offers.

Edited by michmikaia
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fiverr this is most likely your fault.  As a buyer, I'm getting the same set of irrelevant and irritating 'questions' to begin an order from nearly all sellers.  NONE of them are useful.  Please back it off.   Nobody wants to know what I think about flowers or scents or where I planted potatoes (exaggerating but these are the kinds of silly questions) but every seller recently is asking the same stupid questions at the beginning of an order.   Word for word, the same stupid questions.   Hence .. it is the site that causes it.

Please please undo it.   Let the seller ask relevant questions, or just say, old style, "what do you the  buyer need to tell me?"  

Without exaggeration, these are the questions every darn seller seems to be asking:

• How will you use this order? (optional)
  • Which industry do you work in? (optional)
  • What are you looking to achieve with this order? (optional)
  • Like 14
  • Up 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, will998 said:

it is the site that causes it.

You are right about that. Most of the sellers (including me) didn't like that Fiverr was asking these questions on their behalf. Fiverr is probably asking those questions to collect some data, but I can see how they can get irritating after some time.

BTW, those questions are optional. You may simply ignore them and just answer the questions asked by the seller.

I am also a regular buyer on the platform. Those questions don't bother me anymore. I've just learned to ignore them altogether and jump directly to the questions asked by the seller.

• Like 18
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, will998 said:

Fiverr this is most likely your fault.  As a buyer, I'm getting the same set of irrelevant and irritating 'questions' to begin an order from nearly all sellers.  NONE of them are useful.  Please back it off.   Nobody wants to know what I think about flowers or scents or where I planted potatoes (exaggerating but these are the kinds of silly questions) but every seller recently is asking the same stupid questions at the beginning of an order.   Word for word, the same stupid questions.   Hence .. it is the site that causes it.

Please please undo it.   Let the seller ask relevant questions, or just say, old style, "what do you the  buyer need to tell me?"  

Hi @Yoav.M, I'm copying you on this thread so that you can forward this to the appropriate product managers at Fiverr. If Fiverr wants to streamline the buying experience and not annoy its buyers, removing these three questions in the order requirements would help. Thanks!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1