Using singer for my original song

bunbatam

Since I'm not so good in singing, I find a singer here to do so. Say it's done for 30-180 second vocal track and I mixed it. Do I have the right to publish that in youtube? If so, do I have to pay more if the song become popular? 

• Like 4
  • Up 2

19 hours ago, bunbatam said:

Do I have the right to publish that in youtube?

Ask your Seller.

If your Seller doesn't know (and/or doesn't explicitly state in the order that you receive all rights upon completion of the order), then find a different Seller.

It's your choice if you want to spend time learning about the basics of copyright law, or if you want to spend money to get all possible rights to that instance of the singer's recording/performance. Have you read YouTube's Terms of Service? Have you read Fiverr's Terms of Service?

Rights are complicated. (Especially in the music industry.) Publishing rights, broadcasting rights, reproduction rights, full or partial, etc. 

(If you want a quick-ish but still entertaining explanation of how copyright is complicated and how things can go wrong, then watch Tom Scott's video on Copyright Law.)

• Like 5
  • Up 1

On 4/13/2023 at 1:03 AM, bunbatam said:

Since I'm not so good in singing, I find a singer here to do so. Say it's done for 30-180 second vocal track and I mixed it. Do I have the right to publish that in youtube? If so, do I have to pay more if the song become popular? 

The best person to ask for that information would be your seller. However, there is still a risk involved if the seller is not using original components of the song. Therefore, it is your responsibility to inquire about the originality of the components before making a purchase.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, smartpad said:

Therefore, it is your responsibility to inquire about the originality of the components before making a purchase.

Actually, it isn’t. 

Fiverr has a strict policy on using ANY pre-published materials of any sort. All samples, published works and copyrighted components are prohibited. This even applies to cover songs. Technically, we’re not allowed to “sell” you work on a cover - though, in those instances there’s hardly a legal issue for the seller. Fiverr, however, could be subject to massive royalty back payments for profiting from sellers accepting money for songs that are owned and catalogued. 

Guys, the music industries standards and varied degrees of publishing is extremely specific. If you don’t have advanced experience in dealing with both sides of that table, it’s probably best to let other sellers address the issue or snag someone who has. 

The bottom line is this - We don’t know enough to answer this question. But there’s only two answers:

If he wrote the song - he can distribute it and he doesn’t have to pay anyone anything that acted as a “hired gun.” Any session vocalist being paid in “up-fronts” to perform a vocal is by definition “a hired gun.” That means he owns the audio. He’s the financier of the audio. He wrote the song. Which means he also owns the copyright. This is the same in Nashville, where demo vocalists are commissioned to sing your material for the purchase of pitching. It’s not the vocalist’s intellectual property - nor audio property, because they didn’t finance the recording.

If he didn’t write the song - he can’t distribute it, thus he should save his money and buy a bunch of coffee. 

All buyers purchasing music “masters,” in any place, at any time are the sole owners of that audio as per copyright law. Master ownership is not copyright publishing. They are uniquely different. Fiverr, sellers and buyers have no unique ability to supersede audio publishing law - even in instances where contracts are notarized. In theory - this person can own any audio he purchases. Any singer selling “releases” to audio that was financed by a third party and written by said party is engaging in fraud. Which … ya know, nice work if you can get it. Regardless, I dare a singer to attempt to extort me for “release” fees after I paid for their audio session. They could bring a high priced lawyer to court as I represent myself, over zoom, in feety PJ’s, eating a bowl of cereal loudly and I’d decimate them in the opening statement. This is an exclusively fiverr circumstance. The rest of the professional music world knows better. 

• Like 4
  • Up 2