Why do I have to take this English test?

marouaneol

Question

Hello everyone, I am French and I have created a service exclusively in French. I do not want to sell it in English, but at the end of the registration process, I was required to take an English test and I scored 5.9. I was not approved and I have to wait 91 days to retake the test. However, I do not understand why I have to take an English test since I only sell my service in French. What can I do to speed up the process or can you tell me how to recreate the service now instead of waiting for 91 days? Thank you!

Capture d’écran 2023-04-01 041937.png

• Like 14
  • Sad 3

12 answers to this question

Being a native English speaker does not necessarily mean one can string a sentence together ... innit ...

A great many native English speakers don't appear to understand the difference beween "less" and "fewer" - or proper usage of apostrophes or other punctuation.

There are also a great many "native" English speakers who are not - that becomes obvious in their posts here on the forum and, more seriously, in chat with buyers. 

Fiverr requires a pass on the English test because not everyone is honest about their language abilities.  A great many sellers here on Fiverr are, shall we say, economical with the truth.  Fiverr's doing their best to catch them.  Although I'm pretty sure the answers to the tests can easily be found online. 

That's the only explanation for some people passing, while clearly having only a smattering of a language they assert is their mother tongue ...

• Like 7
  • Up 3

18 hours ago, frederick2061 said:

I will most likely pass it on my first try, but then we are talking 40 minutes of time I have to waste doing this as a native speaker.

I think it took me about 5 minutes to complete the test, and I'm not a native English speaker.

• Like 7
  • Up 2

Not enough information. What kind of service are you looking to sell? It's possible that you have tried to make your gig in the incorrect category.

3. Do I have to take tests?
In most cases, you don't need to take a test. However, we highly recommend taking Skill Tests to verify your skills to help earn buyers’ trust.
Note: In some categories, you are required to take a test to publish a Gig.

Source: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010881597-Taking-a-Skill-Test 

• Like 18

19 minutes ago, marouaneol said:

I sell a keyword research service optimized for SEO. I sell this service for France. I really don't understand why I have to wait 90 days to take a test. 
Do I have to offer a service in English? 

For some category you need to take a test, and yes, for SEO you need  to do English test. If you cancel the gig and you re-create it on the same category, Fiverr will ask you to take English test again.

• Like 12
  • Up 2

Just now, venonusa said:

If you cancel the gig and you re-create it on the same category, Fiverr will ask you to take English test again.

Oh right, thanks, I understand better! And if I do a service again, it will allow me to avoid waiting the 90 days ???? thank you 🙂

• Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

There are things on this test I have not seen since I was in grade school, like gerunds. I don't think in terms of subject-verb agreement, infinitives, and the like. I JUST SPEAK AND WRITE ENGLISH. It is entirely possible that I could fail this test, and then be forced to wait 90 days????

Academics seem to always do this. Always asking about the detailed mechanics, multiple-choice questions, filling in the blanks, etc. No one thinks that way when they are using a language. Even in English is your 2nd language.

Ran into the same set of inanities when taking a German test when I was in Germany. Same old academic BS. Not happy about this.

I will most likely pass it on my first try, but then we are talking 40 minutes of time I have to waste doing this as a native speaker.

I recall taking a look at the TOFEL test for English once, and I am not sure I would pass that. Even with my extensive vocabulary, I saw obscure words on that test that I was unfamiliar with. Words I have never seen come up in my reading or communications -- otherwise I would know them! LOL

• Like 8

1 hour ago, frederick2061 said:

I am a native English speaker, and I am incensed that I am required to take an English test!!!! WHY????

27 minutes ago, frederick2061 said:

Fiverr allows 40 minutes, but it took me less than 10 minutes to complete the test (as a native English speaker). If anyone takes the full 40 minutes, they are most likely not a native English speaker. 

I got a 9/10 doing the test (so not a perfect score - I saw several second-language learners get a higher score than me) but this hasn't affected my sales. My communication with my buyers (via inbox/order chats or Zoom calls) and work samples are more than enough to convince my buyers of my English abilities.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 11
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1