Working on Fiverr with Chronic Illness

easymedia

I have PMDD and now I've just been hit with Hyperthyroidism. Even though I feel like I have the easiest job in the world - all I do is read scripts - and yet, two weeks out of the month, my job can seem like it's impossible to accomplish. I'm a voice actor. Should be fun and easy to do right? But, of course all the other little things that you have to do as a freelancer here on Fiverr pile up. Like answering messages, sending customer offers, repeating yourself over and over again even though you have an FAQ section and your gig description is as close to perfect as can be, etc...

Dealing with chronic illness can be challenging, especially when it comes to managing workloads and commitments, no matter how easy you or others seem to think it should be. You have to take care of yourself along with your business, and maybe take care of others if your a parent–like myself.

Here are some tips for handling your Fiverr queue while dealing with chronic illness:

• Set realistic expectations: Be honest with yourself and your clients about your availability and limitations. Communicate clearly about your estimated turnaround times and let clients know if you need extra time or accommodations due to your illness. Don't be afraid to lose buyers by requesting extensions through the Resolutions.
  • Prioritize your workload: When dealing with chronic illness, it's important to prioritize tasks based on their urgency and importance. Focus on completing high-priority orders first and communicate any delays with your clients. Communication is key! Your buyers will appreciate the honesty, trust me.
  • Take breaks when needed: It's important to take breaks when you're feeling overwhelmed or fatigued. Schedule time for rest and self-care activities to help manage your symptoms and maintain your energy levels. Set alarms if you must!
  • Consider hiring an assistant: If you're struggling to keep up with your workload, consider hiring a virtual assistant to help manage your Fiverr queue. This can help ease your workload and give you more time to focus on your health and wellbeing.
    • I actually chose to bring on a business partner to help me with editing all my voice overs, and answering messages.
    • Since he does half the work, he gets half my income.
    • Some money is better than none!
  • Use automation tools: Fiverr has automation tools such as auto-responses and order reminders that can help you manage your queue more efficiently. These tools can help you stay organized and communicate with clients even when you're not feeling well.
    • These will help any assistants you bring on as well!
  • Be open with your clients: It can be helpful to be open and honest with your clients about your illness. This can help build trust and understanding, and may even lead to more compassionate and flexible working relationships.
    • Just try not to overshare because then it might seem like your making up excuses.
    • You don't have to share anything! But, I have found that sending them a simple message saying that my symptoms are keeping me from delivering an exceptional product does wonders.
    • Ask them if their deadlines are flexible and go from there.

Remember that your health and wellbeing should always come first. Don't hesitate to take a break or ask for help when you need it. By managing your workload and communicating effectively with your buyers, you can continue to provide quality work on Fiverr while also prioritizing your health.

Any other tips you can share? Please do!

• Like 116
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 5

First and foremost, I am not a therapist. These tips and opinions are my own and come from years of experiencing PMDD symptoms, which include anxiety and depression among a slew of other issues. They are not a substitute for professional mental health care. 

Now on with the show:

Handling demanding buyers on Fiverr can be challenging, especially when you're also dealing with anxiety symptoms. Anxiety is a common condition that can cause feelings of worry, fear, and nervousness, which can make it difficult to handle stressful situations.

As a seller on Fiverr, it's important to remember that difficult or demanding buyers are not a reflection of your worth or your skills. It's natural to feel anxious when dealing with someone who is being demanding or unreasonable, but it's important to stay professional and not take their behavior personally.

Here are some tips for handling difficult buyers on Fiverr while experiencing anxiety symptoms:

• Take care of yourself first. When you're dealing with anxiety symptoms, it's important to prioritize self-care. This may mean taking breaks throughout the day, practicing relaxation techniques, and getting enough rest. When you feel better physically and emotionally, you'll be better able to handle difficult situations.
    • Easier said than done sometimes, which is why you MUST be honest with yourself. 
    • Be quick to recognize your symptoms. This takes lots of practice. (I used to wear a rubberband on my wrist and gently snap it whenever I finally realized my anxiety had taken the wheel of my emotions and thoughts.) A trained therapist can help you recognize those symptoms and give you proper tools to manage them as they come.
  • DON’T REACT right away! It’s a great thing that we can communicate through writing and not speaking because writing in a chat box gives us some time to work through our emotions before hitting that send button. I can’t even imagine how many burned bridges I would have left behind me all because the filter from my anxious brain to my mouth was… faulty. 
    • Take a moment or two or even a day before replying. If you're worried about your response rate, have a Quick Response that expresses you need more time to consider their message/requirements and thank them for their patience. 
    • Communicate clearly and calmly. When a buyer is being difficult, it's important to stay calm and communicate clearly. Use professional language and avoid getting defensive or confrontational. Remember that you're there to provide a service and that your goal is to find a solution that works for both parties.
  • Set clear boundaries. If a buyer is being unreasonable or demanding, it's important to set clear boundaries. Let them know what you're willing and able to do and what is outside of your scope of work. 
    • Be firm but polite and offer suggestions for how they can get their needs met within the parameters of your service.
    • Have a crystal clear gig description and FAQs section and gently refer them to it if needed. This includes having a very specific revision policy!
  • Don't be afraid to say no. If a buyer is asking for something that is outside of your expertise or that you're not comfortable with, it's okay to say no. Be polite but firm and offer suggestions for other sellers or resources that may be able to help them.
    • If they continue to be either rude or act inappropriately there is a lovely little Block option so that you no longer need to do business with them in the future.
  • Seek support. Dealing with difficult buyers can be stressful, especially when you're already dealing with anxiety symptoms. Don't be afraid to reach out to friends, family, or other Fiverr sellers for support and advice. 
    • You may also want to consider speaking with a mental health professional to help you manage your anxiety symptoms.

With these strategies in place, I’ve been able to navigate difficult situations with confidence and professionalism, and you can too! Because, to put it frankly, I can be a hot mess of anxiety, but I’ve also been able to follow my own advice and that of my own support system (including mental healthcare professionals and medication), and guess what? I’m still working, still getting repeat buyers, and SO CAN YOU!

NOTE: These tips and opinions come from my own experiences dealing with anxiety and are meant to supplement, NOT replace, professional care. Remember, there is no shame in seeking help and taking care of your mental health is essential for your overall well-being.

• Like 92
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 7

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent advice tbh! As someone with a lot of mental health issues, I fully agree with all of what you say. I strive for a high quality, and at my best I can produce that. However sometimes clients come to me with a request which is technically possible, but the workload is just unrealistic given my current situation. And yet because I know I can do it, I feel guilty saying no.

Something which helps me is knowing a) There are other sellers they can reach out to and b) It's okay to say no.

• Like 73

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...