Is this a scam?

bengrainger221

Question

I'm getting suspicious offer. I feel like I'm going to decline it but here are the details.

Someone is asking me to list 3 houses for rent on Avail.co. They want me to make a Gmail account for them. and offered up to 500$ for this. it feels like a scam. I'm a zero-feedback seller, and they're offering way too much for this easy job, to a no feedback seller. I feel weird that i have to make them a gmail acount aswell.

is it a scam?

• Like 17

10 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, bengrainger221 said:

I'm getting suspicious offer. I feel like I'm going to decline it but here are the details.

Someone is asking me to list 3 houses for rent on Avail.co. They want me to make a Gmail account for them. and offered up to 500$ for this. it feels like a scam. I'm a zero-feedback seller, and they're offering way too much for this easy job, to a no feedback seller. I feel weird that i have to make them a gmail acount aswell.

is it a scam?

yes it is a scam 

• Like 16

On 3/18/2023 at 7:25 PM, nayem012 said:

Yes. it' scam 100%

On 3/18/2023 at 6:58 PM, kosalarathnayek said:

yes it is a scam 

Can you please explain how this is a scam? what's the angle? how will the buyer turn this against the seller? I see the red flag, but wonder what's behind it.

Edited by sagie37
  • Like 12

On 3/23/2023 at 2:50 PM, sagie37 said:

Can you please explain how this is a scam? what's the angle? how will the buyer turn this against the seller? I see the red flag, but wonder what's behind it.

Well most likely they want the accounts to not lead to them. Even with VPN there might be some way to track them. But if they make someone else create the account and that account scams someone, it doesn't point to them. 

I like that everyone says it's a scam without saying why 🙂 It's easy to say scam, but explain why.

• Like 9

First of all, I'm so sure that Google doesn't approve of anyone making accounts for anyone else, unless maybe it's some prince or princess who've been living their lives secluded from the real world up to now and need their secretary to navigate the process for them, that I wouldn't even bother looking it up but just assume it's not allowed. That would be the end of that scam and "job discussion" for me already.

Then, while I know avail.co's rules even less by heart than Google's, I'm also pretty sure that if they allow listings for others, it comes with a set of conditions that most probably wouldn't be met in this scenario. 

Where the scam could be, well, you may list something for them that either doesn't exist, or isn't theirs and not theirs to list, and would be making yourself an accessory to a scam, and probably the only one who'll be "grabbable" when the scam victim will come forward to complain.

In any case, this is that kind of fishy that I'd not even hover between Spam and Report button, choose the latter, and leave it up to Fiverr.

It seems pretty common sense to me that it's a scam attempt, which may be why nobody elaborates.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 12:52 PM, bengrainger221 said:

is it a scam?

Yes! report the message and mark a spam, I have received same message 

• Like 6