Update: Display Name in your profile! Mandatory!

Seven

3 minutes ago, sam_0120 said:

I think we can't able to change the display name, once we submit a name. 

So, my advice is to make sure to add the name correctly on the 1st attempt. 😃

A big NO!
Display Name is editable and you/anyone can change it later.

• Like 65
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

So they are making any change ASIDE from allowing people to stop/remove gig multiples.....

It's important to note that Fiverr has updated and changed their platform throughout the years, adding new features, expanding the number of gig categories and subcategories, and changing their search algorithm. It's understandable that some consumers would believe that additional alterations or enhancements are required.
Let's wait until the next time or see what happens.

• Like 38
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mdalamin334 said:

Let's wait until the next time or see what happens.

I've been here since early 2014 so I know very well about the platform changes and I've been lobbying for offering sellers control over gig multiples ever since. It's not about waiting here. It's important for people that are frustrated by an issue to take charge and do something, generate some noise. If you just wait, nothing will happen. Waiting won't bring orders, nor will it make any changes. 

• Like 43
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 3

On 3/16/2023 at 3:20 PM, lalitsdmittal said:

Display Name is cool but there should be a gender option also, Sometimes users do not add his/her Profile Pic which creates confusion, for me at least

Do that super popular thing where you have it in parentheses. I was thinking of even adding something about race, since it's really important. 

Will buyers have to do this, too? 

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 37
  • Congrats! 4
  • Up 5

5 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

I've been here since early 2014 so I know very well about the platform changes and I've been lobbying for offering sellers control over gig multiples ever since. It's not about waiting here. It's important for people that are frustrated by an issue to take charge and do something, generate some noise. If you just wait, nothing will happen. Waiting won't bring orders, nor will it make any changes. 

@donnovan86 When it comes to addressing issues on a platform, I completely agree with your point of view on taking action and making sound. Waiting for changes to happen on their own is unlikely to yield significant results. You have a wealth of experience and insights as a user who has been on the platform since early 2014, which can be useful in identifying areas for improvement and advocating for changes that would benefit both sellers and buyers. It's great to hear you've been urging us for giving sellers control over gig multiples, and I hope your efforts succeed in bringing about the changes you want.

• Like 34
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't see this Display Name as a much-needed feature. It's just another new thing added in there without any major impact. It might help some, but there are more stringent problems like the one I mentioned where people can just set a shorter deadline and manipulate the system via gig multiples. That I consider a problem, this display name thing not really.

• Like 38
  • Up 8
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I don't see this Display Name as a much-needed feature. It's just another new thing added in there without any major impact. It might help some, but there are more stringent problems like the one I mentioned where people can just set a shorter deadline and manipulate the system via gig multiples. That I consider a problem, this display name thing not really.

While I understand your point of view that the Display Name feature isn't a significant addition to the platform, it's important to note that even minor changes can improve user experience and engagement. However, I share your concerns about system manipulation through gig multiples and believe that it is critical for Fiverr to address and prevent such practices in order to maintain a fair and transparent platform. I'm hoping Fiverr support will look into it and take note.

• Like 32
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mdalamin334 said:

it's important to note that even minor changes can improve user experience and engagement

Adding this display name feature as mandatory can also make it a lot easier for hackers, spammers, scammers and ID thieves to get every Fiverr user's info (eg. full names) and could also lead to more bias/discrimination etc.

• Like 32
  • Up 7

23 hours ago, seven_sign said:

Fiverr heard what we asked.

You seem to have read a different forum than I, though, 😄 what by far the most people were asking for was to be able to change their username, not add a display name.

I'm okay (kind of, it opens us up to all kinds of identity theft-related issues, and, especially but not just for women, it's a big step towards better stalkability, too) with the actual name being shown, I had to, anyway, ever since the Fiverr Business approval, but then please with the option to not show the username, I don't like both, it looks messy. Just either display name or username, please, for a clean, uncluttered look.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 31
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Exactly. I got a notification to update my Gig settings, because Fiverr made some changes, and it was mandatory, apparently, as it didn't let me save my existing setup that I was happy with. Well, it would have been a great update if the Gig multiples issue would finally have been fixed, but when trying out by putting 5000 words in the box instead of the 500 that the package should come with, sure enough, the delivery time didn't budge even the slightest bit... I so don't get that. It's beyond apparent that writers, translators, proofreaders, etc., can't just simply deliver ten times as many words, or even double, in the same time, unless they are scammers and just push two or three buttons to deliver unedited AI "work". For those, the current system works fine, actually favours them, because the honest sellers who actually work on orders and thus need the appropriate time, need to think of strategies and suboptimal Gig setups to counter the issue, maybe even don't offer things that they could else, like 24-hour turnaround, and need to waste time on contacting support whenever someone orders an impossible amount of words with the same delivery time as the amount the Gig package includes.

New shiny things are nice, but please fix such super evident issues first.

Fixing the delivery time not budging along with ordered Gig multiples, or/and letting us switch off/limit the option to order multiples - now that is a feature that the affected sellers have been asking for, since years.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 32
  • Up 10

1 hour ago, uk1000 said:

Adding this display name feature as mandatory can also make it a lot easier for hackers, spammers, scammers and ID thieves to get every Fiverr user's info (eg. full names) and could also lead to more bias/discrimination etc.

Fortunately, it's not mandatory. It's allowed to enter a business name instead, or a nickname (for those who wish to stay anonymous). I'm using my nickname only (the same one I've already mentioned in my gig description).

• Like 29
  • Confused 1
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 6:01 AM, catwriter said:

Fortunately, it's not mandatory. It's allowed to enter a business name instead, or a nickname (for those who wish to stay anonymous). I'm using my nickname only (the same one I've already mentioned in my gig description).

Interesting. It was mandatory for Business, though, and apparently, it just took that over from there, I was not able to add my nick (short form of my actual first name), neither my middle name (similar to username), but only either my full first name and first letter of surname, or full first name and full last name. It also didn't accept only the actual first name, despite it said it would in the instruction. The only two valid options were

RealFirstname R.

and

RealFirstname RealLastName.

I'll try if I can edit for non-business profile later today.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 31
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, miiila said:

but only either my full first name and first letter of surname,

Yeah.. for me it was simple because I already introduce myself as Alex when I talk to people, so having just an additional letter from my name doesn't bring any issues at least for me. I do hope they solve other problems, whenever I see any Fiverr staff here on the forum I always get in touch with them and talk about the gig multiples issue.. Really hope they fix that soon.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

So they are making any change ASIDE from allowing people to stop/remove gig multiples.....

It would be nice if Fiverr listened to this request at long last! It actually affects seller ability to do their work and provide excellent customer service.

The new name thing just makes my profile look repetitive.

• Like 30
  • Up 4