Live Blogging: Fiverr AI webinar

newsmike

In order to understand what are the prohibitions and what are the restrictions of using generative AI tools, as part of working on the platform as sellers, you should regularly check the Fiverr Community Guidelines page, as I already stated in the previous post.

Also, in the near future, there may be a webinar with clearer guidelines regarding what is allowed and what is not allowed for sellers on the platform with a dedicated time for Q&A.

It must be remembered that we are not able to talk about every issue - except only with the approval or representation of our legal team.

• Like 10
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 4

True. A legality webinar on AI product ownership would be neat. But, from what I understand, a lot of the legality is To Be Detemined.

My layperson understanding is that an AI Assisted creator does not necessarily own what they created, unless they can "demonstrate a minimum of creative effort", and there are no suitable black and white definitions for that. If they are unable to do so, the product does not have a copyright owner as the result is considered to have a non-human creator.

As well, it's currently going into the court to determine whether or not most AI Tools committed broad scale copyright infringement when creating their databases. Under some usage licenses, it may be the tool user rather than the tool creator who is liable for any assessed damages.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1
  • Up 2

53 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I think people should be educated on what makes a writer/artist/etc. first. How? I'm not sure.

Consumer education. 

Half the battle is correctly identifying and defining the problem. 

(props to @markp for investing the time and effort to help educate buyers)

I've shared this video here in the forums before, but it's worth re-posting, because Mr. Scott compares this advent to the rapid rise of of the internet and specifically mentions Napster. That comparison is very good for a lot of reasons, including the legal ones. But also because, yes, industries will die

One thing he only touched on briefly was the rapid 'adoption' phase. That people who use the technology are more focused on the convenience, not the underlying technicalities. That there's little-to-no deeper thought of consequences, legalities, morals or ethics. 

"Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it." 

Another thing that was mentioned was that he had a conversation with his barber about AI. There's a fairly well known story in I learned in college about business/economics history. I don't remember the details (and might be remembering some of it wrong), but it was about the Great Depression and how one of the triggers was a wealthy investor, who realized there was a bubble when his shoe shine boy talked about owning stocks. He decided it was time to get out, told his friends it was time to get out, and thus triggered the crash, because all the money was leaving.

Change is happening. As is the way with business: adapt or die. 

I can appreciate Fiverr's readiness to adapt, especially as a business that needs to make money for the owners. I'm simply concerned that it could run into the same pitfalls as Napster. 

Quick 10 minute history: 

Fringe related: One aspect that I don't think has been brought up (because it doesn't really affect us directly), is the Homework thing. (Kids are a study in contradiction. They're smarter than most adults give them credit for, mostly because they can sometimes do really dumb stuff.) One advantage kids have is that they learn fast. More than just kids, though, students will learn things that they need to learn (if and when they want to learn it), and they will learn ways to get out of doing the thing that helps them learn or prove that they've learned (when they don't want to learn, or have trouble learning). Again, convenience. 

We cannot teach those who do not want (or are not willing) to learn. 

All the educational material in the world can't force someone to read or understand nuances, if the person plain doesn't care. 

"A good solution is one that solves multiple problems."

I don't have a solution. The best I can think of at this time is a combined PSA/ad campaign. If it was done by Fiverr, Fiverr might be able to gain some goodwill and positive public opinion, but such a campaign would have to be handled very carefully, or it would run the risk of going counter to the premise/concept of what Fiverr is suppose to be. (I can't really say 'what Fiverr is' because Fiverr as-a-business isn't clear on that point.)

• Like 14
  • Up 1

29 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

Fringe related: One aspect that I don't think has been brought up (because it doesn't really affect us directly), is the Homework thing. (Kids are a study in contradiction. They're smarter than most adults give them credit for, mostly because they can sometimes do really dumb stuff.) One advantage kids have is that they learn fast. More than just kids, though, students will learn things that they need to learn (if and when they want to learn it), and they will learn ways to get out of doing the thing that helps them learn or prove that they've learned (when they don't want to learn, or have trouble learning). Again, convenience. 

I know for a fact that students are already using ChatGPT to do their homework, and not just high schoolers. College students too! Lab reports, essays... you name it. Just imagine what kind of professionals they will become... Sad, very sad...

• Like 12
  • Up 4