Is this much Spam & asking to take communication outside of fiverr normal?

k_holts

Question

Let me start this off by saying I am new to fiverr.  The first day I signed up and released a gig I got inbox messages marked as spam. They were all very similar saying they were currently looking for copy typing, transcription, and data entry services and that if I was interested contact (insert email or username here). Those I believe are spam and I didn't reply to them.

Today, I received what looks like a normal inbox message in which a user started a conversation with me saying they have a one-time job and asked if I would like more information. I sent a reply which stated yes I would like to learn more. They told me it was a copy-typing job, with proofreading and some editing of Microsoft documents. I asked if there was an estimated hourly time of completion (so I could perhaps make a tailored gig for them) to which their reply was, "at this point, I will refer you to our project consultant, kindly provide your email address for the hiring desk." 

I have NOT replied back with my email address. My understanding from the terms of service is, that is not allowed. 

Is this a scam or a more elaborate SPAM? Perhaps a user going again fiverr policies?

Anyone experience anything similar? 

• Like 3

2 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, k_holts said:

Is this a scam

It's a scam, and they often target new users, expecting them not to be aware of rules, and/or to be desperate for any kind of work.

And those who fall for it are typically asked to first pay a fee and then they will get work, or they get some work, but never get paid for it. And they can't complain to Fiverr because they broke the rules by accepting contact outside of the platform.

• Like 3
  • Up 1

16 minutes ago, catwriter said:

It's a scam, and they often target new users, expecting them not to be aware of rules, and/or to be desperate for any kind of work.

And those who fall for it are typically asked to first pay a fee and then they will get work, or they get some work, but never get paid for it. And they can't complain to Fiverr because they broke the rules by accepting contact outside of the platform.

Okay, this is what I thought. Wanted to be sure I was not missing something. The amount of SPAM is a little disheartening.

• Like 3