First Order - Day Nine after Publishing

minordetails

I received my first message and order on day nine.  It was completed within 24 hours and then accepted within 48 hours of that. I started selling on ebay in 2005 so I understand how critical it is to create a process that is repeatable. On ebay I did that by offering a product worth about $5 for a fixed price of $.10 and offered free shipping.  I wrote down everything I did during that process.  I also had bought from others to see what the package would look like before doing my first listing.  I took the same skills I learned there and applied them to Fiverr.  I also took skills from more recent years of selling on Amazon to use proper keywords in the title and description and monitor traffic as best as possible with the analytics available. Am I going to be one of the people that makes $100k per year.  I doubt it.  But, I feel good I learned enough from reading the materials, terms of service, researching the competition, watching utube videos, and participating in the forum.  

I am a genealogist and knew I would not find the specific person the buyer wanted.  I was upfront, but I was able to find clues that were relevant to the overall search that helped build trust.  I also provided a report being transparent in the places I searched and the generalized results I found.  Some was in case the buyer wanted to go further.  I also received a tip equal to the gig which I was not even aware existed. I am not sure if that is common or not as I have not been at the point of having to discuss orders.

• Like 17
  • Congrats! 7
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations @minordetails! Getting an order that fast is really great! It took me two weeks to get my first order.

I noticed you are a genealogist specialized in J ewish history. One of my first big projects was to do data entry collecting articles, interviews, and related files for my client's family history from 1913-Present in New York (his family originated from Moldova).

So you might want to set up a data entry gig in addition to your lifestyle gigs - I noticed there were only 133 search results under "genealogy" and some buyers doing their own genealogy work might be looking for assistance in the data entry category (not using the keyword of "genealogy"). Research & Summaries (i.e. web research) is another category that might be relevant to you. Data entry is a category that easily has more than 69K in search results.

I do think your prices are low, especially with your experience. Just make sure that you have a plan in place to raise those prices incrementally as you get orders and traffic increases to your gigs. I started doing data entry at $10/hr and gradually increased it to  $25/hr (over a two month span of time as orders increased). The fact that your buyer tipped you the order amount is a good sign for you to increase your prices. You don't have to set your prices all at $5.

You're off to a great start and I wish the best for you and your business!

• Like 15
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Congratulations @minordetails! Getting an order that fast is really great! It took me two weeks to get my first order.

I noticed you are a genealogist specialized in J ewish history. One of my first big projects was to do data entry collecting articles, interviews, and related files for my client's family history from 1913-Present in New York (his family originated from Moldova).

So you might want to set up a data entry gig in addition to your lifestyle gigs - I noticed there were only 133 search results under "genealogy" and some buyers doing their own genealogy work might be looking for assistance in the data entry category (not using the keyword of "genealogy"). Research & Summaries (i.e. web research) is another category that might be relevant to you. Data entry is a category that easily has more than 69K in search results.

I do think your prices are low, especially with your experience. Just make sure that you have a plan in place to raise those prices incrementally as you get orders and traffic increases to your gigs. I started doing data entry at $10/hr and gradually increased it to  $25/hr (over a two month span of time as orders increased). The fact that your buyer tipped you the order amount is a good sign for you to increase your prices. You don't have to set your prices all at $5.

You're off to a great start and I wish the best for you and your business!

@vickieito Thanks!  I actually realized it was fast as I saw a youtuber with a busy account create a new gig and it took him nearly two months.  So, yes, I was very happy and glad I could loop in all my other life experiences.  

Excellent feedback and observations as well.  Yes, I have a roadmap of other gigs I am looking into and have done keyword research on each.  So, I like your thinking because it is not just about the skills, but how people find you.  You also make a good point about the 133 under genealogy. I realized responding to so many people in the forums on not getting orders that there is a lot of opportunity to help others as well. So, I think diversification will be helpful. As far as rates, yes, they are way too low.  I will probably go to $25 an hour fairly quickly.  My target is $50 an hour but I have not determined how that will fly here. I know people getting $200 but they have more certification, belong to all the genealogy groups and might have forensic backgrounds as well. I was only going to do genealogy, but I honestly enjoy helping people too so I will just have to figure out the playbook for the short term and tweak it and test it.

• Like 14
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, minordetails said:

@vickieito Thanks!  I actually realized it was fast as I saw a youtuber with a busy account create a new gig and it took him nearly two months.  So, yes, I was very happy and glad I could loop in all my other life experiences.  

Excellent feedback and observations as well.  Yes, I have a roadmap of other gigs I am looking into and have done keyword research on each.  So, I like your thinking because it is not just about the skills, but how people find you.  You also make a good point about the 133 under genealogy. I realized responding to so many people in the forums on not getting orders that there is a lot of opportunity to help others as well. So, I think diversification will be helpful. As far as rates, yes, they are way too low.  I will probably go to $25 an hour fairly quickly.  My target is $50 an hour but I have not determined how that will fly here. I know people getting $200 but they have more certification, belong to all the genealogy groups and might have forensic backgrounds as well. I was only going to do genealogy, but I honestly enjoy helping people too so I will just have to figure out the playbook for the short term and tweak it and test it.

As long as you can show a profile that exudes quality, you will attract the buyers that will pay premium prices. I was a food scientist for 17 years, so none of what I currently do on Fiverr really relates to my previous work. I started at $10/hr for data entry but now charge $50/hr for consultations (chat only - I don't like video). If it's my course-building consultation, it's now $300. Now all the minimum prices on all 10 of my gigs are over $100. I have also been eyeballing additional certifications, but I found the buyers are willing to pay premium prices for quality even without the certifications or a top-rated seller or Pro badge. I will still get these certifications eventually.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 14
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, vickieito said:

As long as you can show a profile that exudes quality, you will attract the buyers that will pay premium prices. I was a food scientist for 17 years, so none of what I currently do on Fiverr really relates to my previous work. I started at $10/hr for data entry but now charge $50/hr for consultations (chat only - I don't like video). If it's my course-building consultation, it's now $300. Now all the minimum prices on all 10 of my gigs are over $100. I have also been eyeballing additional certifications, but I found the buyers are willing to pay premium prices for quality even without the certifications or a top-rated seller or Pro badge. I will still get these certifications eventually.

It's great you were able to raise them so much and your record demands it. I am probably open to doing video consults.  I need to learn how to do the screen sharing or a process for reviewing people's work.  Maybe you should do your own courses or consider an ebook.  I do not know a lot about affiliate marketing but it seems like you have the skills to develop some passive revenue as well. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, minordetails said:

Maybe you should do your own courses or consider an ebook.  I do not know a lot about affiliate marketing but it seems like you have the skills to develop some passive revenue as well. 

Yes, I have those in the works! I'm all about creating passive streams of income through creating and selling digital content and using affiliate marketing to generate additional passive income.

3 minutes ago, minordetails said:

I am probably open to doing video consults.  I need to learn how to do the screen sharing or a process for reviewing people's work.

That's great! Video consults is a great way to generate income. If you're not camera-shy, doing video training is also great. You also could create your own ecourses/digital content for people who want to get started on their own genealogy work. There is an interest there. After doing so much genealogy work for others, it only reminds me of how far behind I am in doing my own family history!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, boslar12 said:

Congratulations, how can I also get a first order to promote streamers to reach massive online gamers. Thanks 

It's a process @boslar12. You want to see what kind of feedback you get here, so you might start your own thread or find other thread where people have a similar question in the improve my gig category.  But, this is what I suggest to everyone in the forum to get started: 

Forum Profile Update - If you scroll up to your forum profile username, click the dropdown, then profile. In the banner area, click “edit profile”, scroll down and there is a place you can add a link to your fiverr.com profile. This way other forum readers may see your selling profile and the gigs and provide feedback on changes you might make.

If you create your own post, I will respond try and respond further.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1