A buyer wants to cancel a writing order, but I've already sent a link to a rough draft to what I wrote.

jayslater285

Question

I'm currently in a gig with a buyer, who requested that I write a recap of a movie. I've written it, but I've sent him a Google Drive link to a rough draft so that he could look it over, so he could suggest any changes before I sent it. (In hindsight, this was probably a stupid decision.) But now, he's saying that he doesn't approve of it, and isn't clear in telling me what's wrong with it. He says I have to rewrite it completely, because it's like "a bad haircut", and "trying to fix it would make it worse."

Even though the gig says I could do it in ten days, we agreed to five days, because it was supposed to be a short write-up. I turned it in two days ago, so I have three days left. The buyer says I either rewrite it, or cancel. But I'm worried he'd just use the rough draft and he just doesn't pay me.

I don't think I can do the whole thing over again, without even knowing what I did wrong. I'd prefer to cancel, but then he wins if this actually is a scam. I've just set the Google Doc page to private, but I don't know if he's already copied it. I've considered sending the  to him anyway, but then he'd just write me a negative review, which is going to stay on my account longer than if I just cancelled it. Which will hurt, because I haven't gotten much business or ratings.

Is there anything I can do besides cancel?

And please keep the "You shouldn't have sent the draft" to a minimum.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

9 answers to this question

Honestly, that definitely sounds sketchy. I feel like for me whether I'd cancel or try again would depend on a few factors. 

Is the client able to explain what they want done differently? Maybe pinpoint bits they didn't like? Is it the format (or do they just not get it's a rough draft and think typos will be left in there?

If they seem aware of how writing works and don't seem to be just doing it to be mean, I'd try again but also tell them about how technically (as far as I know still) 'i don't like it' Isn't a reason for cancellation. They'd have to be more specific (but that would risk a bad review so I'd thread fatefully.

If the person is a completely new profile and acts like a potential troll, I would likely cancel. Maybe see if CS could fix my cancellation % (if no actual delivery was made just a rough draft in the messages they tend to do it.) Stay calm even though this is pretty annoying. Check via copyscape or something after a bit if your piece was stolen (though this can be hard in some cases.)

A tip on how to prevent this (and no, not a total 'DONT SHARE IT BEFORE DELIVERY': I tend to share the base plot and the first say, 500 words max (and some updates with clients I know I can trust.) but always unedited and make sure they know (messy formatting, typos still there because my eyes are bad etc.) Full delivery (through the order page) is the actual proper file (formatted, etc.) As far as I know, seller are encouraged to give updates, but we have to be smart about it. Worst case scenario for me is someone doesn't like a short sample and we either cancel then or I redo that (which is better than redoing a whole game!) 

Good luck figuring this out though! I hope you manage to get paid, writing for others is hard!

• Like 9
  • Up 1

Ahh, yes. The whole "You need to completely redo this so it's just not worth it!" claim. I've had a few, and yes, they are from people trying to get work for free. (Assuming you actually delivered a quality article!)

I tend to ask specific and highly professional questions about what exactly they didn't like about the piece.  If they can't or won't -- which is normal since all they don't like about it is that they have to pay -- I redeliver. Have I gotten less than stellar ratings due to this in the past? Perhaps. That's a risk you have to weigh vs. the rest of your ratings and feedback.

Hope everything works out well for you!

• Like 6
  • Up 2

Since you've only got 1 review and the buyer doesn't seem happy with the rough draft (that wasn't delivered) and said "trying to fix it would make it worse." it might be safer to cancel, even though it will affect your stats. One 1 star review would make the average 3 stars which would have a bad effect.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6

After completing some tasks you should have shown the work demo, then if he likes the work demo then you should complete the whole tasks.
Then there would be no scope for him to say, because you showed him a demo of the work before doing the work.
 I think this buyer wants you to do a lot of work.

• Like 6