SELLER WANTS TO SPLIT THE ORDER

naimonset

Question

Hi there, I am first time buying from Fiverr and I want to get a 2d video animation based on a script I made. I contacted several artists, and more of them want to split the process in two offers, a first offer for character designs and a second one for video animation, and I am a little bit suspicious about this, I mean why would they want to do this? I am ok with giving all the money in one phase, because I think with two offers, they could just provide the character design and then not continue the process with placing a second offer, that being basically legal :))) Please let me know if I am just being paranoid or I am thinking the right way. Thanks a lot for your time, have a nice day !

• Like 15
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 4

4 answers to this question

It’s a bit more complicated than that. In fiverr the delivery can be only if a final product and with animation it’s quite tough. There are can be changes to a character design that are easier to do before starting doing animation. 
mid you do one order they have to deliver char there and animation at the same time which will mean much more work involved in changes. 

• Like 22
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, naimonset said:

they could just provide the character design and then not continue the process with placing a second offer, that being basically legal

Exactly. If you don't love the design, but it's still the thing you're supposed to get, you don't have to work together after. It's basically making sure that they don't work for nothing if something happens. 
I understand your concern, but if I'm being honest splitting larger orders is sort of easier for me personally. I like to do a quick test to make sure that we work OK together. Worst case scenario is that my client is out of say, $50, but not $500, you know (and I don't end up cancelling a huge order.) 

I think if you can make sure that the designer is genuinely good at what they  do (their portfolio makes sense, etc.) this should be totally fine! Of course, there MIGHT be sketchy people, but to me personally, this wouldn't be a red flag. (others might disagree though, I'm not an artist so things might be a bit different in that field.)

Maybe you could ask for a milestones order in exchange of two orders? Same concept (though I personally don't work with them much) but it could feel a bit more secure? 

• Like 13
  • Up 3

Hi there, I am first time buying from Fiverr and I want to get a 2d video animation based on a script I made. I contacted several artists, and more of them want to split the process in two offers, a first offer for character designs and a second one for video animation, and I am a little bit suspicious about this, I mean why would they want to do this? I am ok with giving all the money in one phase, because I think with two offers, they could just provide the character design and then not continue the process with placing a second offer, that being basically legal :))) Please let me know if I am just being paranoid or I am thinking the right way. Thanks a lot for your time, have a nice day !

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2