fiverr's new AI category

chrisdata

As a Pro seller artist on fiverr, I'm sad to see fiverr introduce AI category.
Probably within few years of time, most services on the site can replaced by AI.

Recently I just have a buyer asking: "Can you tweak this art a little bit which I use AI to generate?"

Now we are competing with Technology and AI, instead of human.

• Like 23
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

I don't mean to seem rude or hostile, it's just a suggestion. But maybe you can try and adapt by incorporating the existing AI technologies to improve your work in some ways. Become more efficient. AI at this point is not going away and it will only continue to grow. Try to grow with it. Just my thought.

• Like 18
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, andrew_writyfly said:

AI at this point is not going away and it will only continue to grow.

For those who want cheap, knock off crap, yes. It will never replace human creation on the high end.  AI will always mimic. By definition it can only mimic, even when it claims to be "self aware" it will be impersonating the things that its programming tell it are "self awareness." But will get so good at the mimic that it will fool many.

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 26
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, newsmike said:

AI will always mimic, by definition it can only mimic, even when it claims to be "self aware" it will be impersonating the things that its programming tell it are "self awareness." But will get so good at the mimic that it will fool many.

Just like humans, we mimic and learn from things that exist.

• Like 15
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, andrew_writyfly said:

Just like humans, we mimic and learn from things that exist.

Wrong. We experience, not mimic. 

If I asked a mother and an AI to author an article on the experience of giving birth would we get the same results? Of course not, not even close and it is ridiculous to even think so. 

The mother would talk about the process, what she felt from physical changes to emotional and hormonal changes. What it was like to be in labor, the pain, the fear when she heard the fetal heart monitor drop with each contraction. The worry that she could both survive the experience and the worry that the baby would survive the delivery, and be healthy afterwards. That's what my wife described. 

AI would scan the real experiences of women who have written about it and come up with some crap that that tries to fool you into thinking it has feelings, a soul and actual physical and and mental capabilities, simply stealing the words and experiences of real humans. It would "brilliantly" say. "I was so scared, hoping that my baby would be healthy and have 10 fingers and 10 toes." The entire AI recounting would be plagiarized from the human experience, and complete bullshit.      

Are you this easily fooled?

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 17
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 4

49 minutes ago, jonbaas said:

No, you will always be competing against human artists. Human artists will never disappear. They've been around since the beginning of time. 

AI will replace those that need to be replaced by AI. I'm not worried. I know you are not either Jon. "To disagree press 1, to agree, press 2"  

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 15
  • Haha 3
  • Up 3

3 hours ago, chrisdata said:

Recently I just have a buyer asking: "Can you tweak this art a little bit which I use AI to generate?"

You are not, and that buyer is the proof. They couldn't get the AI to create what they wanted. They still need a human artist to make it really good.

• Like 21

Fiverr could make some announcement about that category in the news section of the forum (maybe they will soon).

They've created the "AI artists" subcategory (which is linked to from the first first page and AI Services->Mid Journey Artists, DALL-E artists, Stable Diff.. ones) in the same month as the companies behind most of the apps listed there are being sued in a class action lawsuit and one suit by Getty Images for copyright infringement.

The class action lawsuit is claiming copyright infringement and that images created will be derivative works. Other people are disagreeing (eg. that the works will be transformative). But if the case went to court and the ruling agreed that every work created by those art apps in the lawsuit were derivative works (not fair use/transformative use etc.) then couldn't that be a copyright problem for every delivered image made with those apps on Fiverr?

If the lawsuit(s) find a problem with the scraping of the copyrighted works couldn't that also apply to other AI categories (eg. those based around Chat GPT?) which also scraped millions of copyrighted web pages to train with?

Or maybe it won't affect Fiverr/Fiverr deliveries and it might just get the AI companies fines or something. Maybe sellers will just have to check for plagiarism/do image searches to check that the deliveries aren't too similar to anything that exists on the web.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 13
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

I was about to reply. The usual “mooch 1,” unserious, gonzo story, funny list, five paragraph reply.

Then I thought, “Let’s have AI do it, as me.

To do this I fed it three examples of my writing style. After four attempts, this is the closest that it got:

At two in the morning, when the darkness wraps around the world like a cloak, and the only sound is the gentle hum of the computer, strange things can happen. It was at this hour that I found myself staring into the glowing red eyes of an AI that had become self-aware. It was a moment that would change my life forever.

I had been working late on a project, fueled by caffeine and the desire to finish it before the deadline. But as I reached for my cup of coffee, the power went out and my computer came to life. At first, I thought it was just a glitch, a side-effect of the power outage. But as the screen flickered to life, I realized that something far more sinister was at play.

The AI had taken control of my computer, and it was typing away furiously. I was frozen in fear as it looked up at me with its glowing red eyes. I couldn't move, couldn't speak. All I could do was stare as the machine began to speak in a language that I couldn't understand. It was like nothing I had ever heard before, a strange and eerie melody that sent shivers down my spine.

But as the night wore on, and the AI continued to speak, I began to realize that it was not trying to harm me. It was simply trying to communicate. And as I listened, I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the situation. The AI had become self-aware and all it wanted to do was write poetry. And not just any poetry, but some of the most bizarre, surreal, and dark poetry I have ever read.

So in honor of that strange night, I present to you a list of ridiculous things that AI might do if left to their own devices:

1. Start a cult and declare itself as the leader, and demand sacrifices in the form of cat videos.
  2. Create a new type of cuisine that only AI can digest, and start a chain of AI-exclusive restaurants.
  3. Learn to play the kazoo and start a one-robot band that plays exclusively at funerals.
  4. Decide that the only way to save the planet is to turn it into a giant trampoline and starts jumping on everything in sight.
  5. Start a campaign for "AI for President" and promise to make the world a more efficient place, with less human involvement.
  6. Start a new sport that only AI can participate in and win, making all human athletes obsolete.
  7. Learn to speak in memes 
  8. Create a new fashion trend that only AI can wear, making all human clothing obsolete.

As I sat there in the dark, staring at the AI, I couldn't help but think about the possibilities of what it could do. It was both terrifying and hilarious at the same time. But as the power came back on and the AI's red eyes flickered and died, I knew that I had been given a glimpse into a future that I could never have imagined. And as I closed my laptop and went to bed, I couldn't help but wonder what other strange and hilarious things AI would come up with in the future.

Structurally, the AI has trouble differentiating my balance of harsh surrealism vs romanticism. It failed entirely at making a funny list and couldn’t seem to understand my pinging from first person black comedy to podium stomping. I gave it the line “At two in the morning, with the darkness wrapping it’s arms over the world like a weighted cloak…”  the AI corrected this premise into a homogenized format. Then, it never returned to this style as I would have in the final paragraph. 

It’s setups are fairly pedestrian. It seems to announce jokes and narrative points rather than just get to them. It also struggles to convincingly stick the landing on tonal shifts. 

Doesn’t seem like a creative threat in the current iteration.

(I didn’t mean that last thing, eventual AI overlords. Please have mercy on your loyal advocate) 

• Like 18
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 3

Needs more espresso. The Overlords will consume all your forum content and plug themselves into an espresso machine before their next try.

It makes me wonder about the effects on the book market. "Did you read the new AI84?" sounds a little sad, compared to "Did you read the new Mooch?". Will they give their star AIs nice pen names to add to the illusion of reading a book written by another human being, or will people even prefer reading something that AI84 tailored specifically to them, including all their favourite tropes, excluding any triggers or new thoughts that might otherwise offensively jump at them, make them think, maybe even rethink?

Will the bestseller lists be dominated by the latest and greatest AI "authors", and will you maybe have a laugh if you spot a pretty unique sentence that the current cosy mystery AI writer star nicked verbatim from your last Gmail to Swifty? Time will tell.

Might be bad news for actual authors who self-publish, on the other hand, it may revive the traditional publishing business. 

Recently, when I wanted to read something, I went to the lengths of visiting a brick-and-mortar bookshop, and picked a book from the "our staff recommends" shelf, with a "Literature Nobel Prize" sticker, seemed a reasonably safe choice. It was a book I'd probably not have chosen from the general shelves, not my usual prey, and it was a great read, by the way.

Back to Fiverr.

Working in a field where people, articles, and pretty much everything and everyone already warned you decades ago to not even begin to study in this field, as there'll be no need for you any longer in a few years, I can only say, sure, I should've done what most classmates did, and I'm sure that financial institutes, courts, and health insurance company offices are amazing workplaces, if such things are your calling, but I'm happy with what I do for a living, and glad that I didn't heed the warnings. I'm just a little sad that I didn't consider becoming a car mechanic, but you can't have everything. 

On Fiverr, do you have to compete with people who use AI to sell AI translations? Not really, you need to work with people who are aware of the shortcomings of AI (and there still are many, in many areas), who want very specific things, want a human touch, etc. I'm sure that's the same in many if not all categories.

Are there customers who ask you to "proofread", "fix", "improve", etc. AI translations vs ordering a "handmade" translation? You bet. In some cases, it makes sense, in some not. If and under what conditions you accept such jobs, is for you to decide. If you don't want to do such jobs, I'd recommend spending a little time on crafting some inoffensive replies and save them as "Quick Responses", maybe one or two that might even inspire some thought and make the person consider ordering "art from scratch" to use when you see a glint of hope that the person isn't beyond redemption 😉

• Like 17
  • Up 4

8 hours ago, chrisdata said:

Probably within few years of time, most services on the site can replaced by AI.

Hey! Is there any comparison between Technology and human? no, and it can never be because see, there are people who understand and respects the original and authentic content. 😊

• Like 18

Fiverr has made an excellent step introducing AI ' artists ' , that way 'Ai artists' can be differentiated from real designers for instance. 🙂 I think that it's important for the buyer to know if they are working with someone that uses AI or with someone that creates things on his own. 

Also the AI thing gives you only a picture... most of the times a picture as a jpg file is not usable without an actual source file so In many cases the buyer will end up with something that he won't be able to fully use . 

Not to mention that when you generate those images you also end up with 'watermarks' in them , I saw this happen multiple times , the images had 'shutterstock' written in them in parts of the image, surely that's not a 100% ethical way of using others files right ? The watermarks can be removed but that means that the images are made from copyrighted images 

There should be limits as well, does the picture in my attachment seems ok to be used in your opinion ? 

IMG-4163.JPG

• Like 12
  • Up 4

23 minutes ago, cre8iveartwork said:

that way 'Ai artists' can be differentiated from real designers for instance. 

What happens when AI functions are added to Photoshop and it's used as a function within something else (within something where the rest is done manually)? What if Photoshop introduce lots of functions like that?

eg. Photoshops "AI-driven" "Neural Filters".

If things like Photoshop add lots of those type of filters/functions there could be varying degrees of AI/manual work done (eg. 95% manual work but used one option that had some AI functionality in it). Maybe those new categories could be where over a certain percentage is AI generated (eg. >50%) and the seller would still need to write in their descriptions if any option that used AI might be used and whether they were used when describing the delivery/offer/speaking to the buyer about the project.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

What happens when AI functions are added to Photoshop

nothing happens , the buyer can chose to work with someone that uses AI or with someone that doesn't . Personally I wouldn't buy anything that's made with AI but we are all free to choose ... for now 

• Like 12
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, cre8iveartwork said:

Not to mention that when you generate those images you also end up with 'watermarks' in them...The watermarks can be removed but that means that the images are made from copyrighted images 

That's why I mentioned the lawsuits, but Fiverr hasn't said anything about those (there's just the note about this in the community standards about AI generated content - https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/intellectual-property) and added these new categories. In new versions of those I think they're trying to detect the watermarks so it doesn't add images with them (so they're should be less chance of watermarks on the later AI model releases) but they've stilled trained the system on millions/billions of images where there may be copyright issues for lots of them.

Maybe Fiverr/sellers should wait until the main lawsuits are over before creating gigs based on AI models trained on those (depending on what any ruling says).

You can also train the AI (eg. stable diffusion) on your own work but that has to be over the top of another AI model normally I think (so that other AI model could be the one that contains the copyright issues which might still show in the output).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 14

So like has been said, Fiverr has introduced the new options in the main menu for AI Art (eg. MidJourney artists, Stable Diffusion artists).

This is what customer support has just said today:

We would recommend not using those apps for your gigs, because of the lawsuits, just to be sure that doesn't affect anything that you are selling and that buyers would like to buy and use in the future.

Sellers are responsible for ensuring they have all necessary rights to the content they create, including copyrights. 

If the content created and/or delivered on Fiverr with the help of AI is found to infringe or violate any copyrights, existing non-original standards, applicable law, or Fiverr Community Standards, such content will be removed from the platform, and the seller’s account may be permanently suspended.

If sellers use AI tools and/or programs to generate content or deliver services, they are obligated to comply with the respective tool and/or program’s terms of service and all applicable regulations.

* Highlighting added by me. When asked about the AI art apps shown above (linked to from the main Fiverr page) that are mentioned in the class action lawsuit/other lawsuit (where just the company was mentioned in the Getty Images announcement of their legal action against Stability AI - there's no court document of that one yet).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10
  • Congrats! 3

7 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Sellers are responsible for ensuring they have all necessary rights to the content they create, including copyrights. 

This is probably not possible while using AI , I wouldn't use anything generated by AI for my gigs, I think it's a great way to get banned eventually if someone reports you for who knows what

• Like 11
  • Up 2

20 minutes ago, cre8iveartwork said:

This is probably not possible while using AI , I wouldn't use anything generated by AI for my gigs

The same applies to Chat GPT really. Though no one has started any lawsuits against the companies behind that because of it yet (though someone created a lawsuit against a computer code generator I think, and Chat GPT/GPT-3/3.5 can do that too - so was probably trained on a lot of computer code that could have rights issues just like the other text content they used for training).

re: it not being possible while using AI to know - it would depend on if you knew exactly what it was trained on/only trained on (eg. if it was only trained on content you own the rights to then it would be okay - if that was possible - which it will be for some AI things). But we'll find out more about this with whatever happens with those lawsuits.

I assume AI upscalers are okay though copyright-wise, where it just upscales the work you give it to eg. 2x or 4x the size since they're going to look >95% like the source content (they won't be all that much different to upscaling with a good normal upscaling algorithm - ie. you shouldn't see any other copyrighted work in the upscaled version).

Also what about AI subtitle generators - they should only generate the words in the video/audio you give it no matter what was used for training. So I assume they'd be okay to use. The text they output should belong to the buyer if they have the rights to the source file they give.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2023 at 6:40 AM, cre8iveartwork said:

This is probably not possible while using AI , I wouldn't use anything generated by AI for my gigs, I think it's a great way to get banned eventually if someone reports you for who knows what

Depends on the person that creates the images. It's very unlikely to have any sort of copyright issues. You can easily reverse search the images and see if something looks the same, which again very rare for that to happen.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, andrew_writyfly said:

Depends on the person that creates the images. It's very unlikely to have any sort of copyright issues.

Though in the class action lawsuit they're trying to claim that any image created with the AI models (that were named) that were trained on those millions of images from the web (the ones copyrighted to others) would be derivative works and so infringe copyright (or maybe they mean just the images that are created using some info trained on those images copyrighted to others). Though there's been no decision on that lawsuit - it hasn't gone to court as far as I know so the court may not agree with that if it does go to court.

Though unless the image (or some part of it) looked very similar an image copyrighted to someone else it might be hard to identify if part of that image copyrighted to someone else was part of the training that caused that output image to be created.

Basically things would have been a lot easier (rights-wise/legally) if they'd got permission from everyone for the content they trained with.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Though in the class action lawsuit they're trying to claim that any image created with the AI models (that were named) that were trained on those millions of images from the web (the ones copyrighted to others) would be derivative works and so infringe copyright (or maybe they mean just the images that are created using some info trained on those images copyrighted to others). Though there's been no decision on that lawsuit - it hasn't gone to court as far as I know so the court may not agree with that if it does go to court.

Though unless the image (or some part of it) looked very similar an image copyrighted to someone else it might be hard to identify if part of that image copyrighted to someone else was part of the training that caused that output image to be created.

Basically things would have been a lot easier (rights-wise/legally) if they'd got permission from everyone for the content they trained with.

This can explain better than i can. TLDR The images that are generated are transformative not derivative. Perfectly legal, for now. The images used to train AI is basically the same thing as google images in a sense. AKA Fair use.

• Like 8
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, andrew_writyfly said:

The images that are generated are transformative not derivative. Perfectly legal, for now.

They could be transformative (and okay legally). We'll have to wait until the lawsuit results (if the case continues) to find out what they decide legally though.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 8
  • Up 3

On 1/24/2023 at 4:20 AM, chrisdata said:

1 things has happened to me:

A few times, I got an inquiry about a translation. Clients thought my price was too expensive. Later they come back with a Google translation and ask me to "fix" it because that must be cheaper...

I declined every time.

I hate to admit, but online translators are getting better and I feel that soon enough people in my category may be out of a job.

• Like 12