What is the biggest challenge faced by freelancers? 💡

maheennadeem814

Hello to everybody!  As we are a community of freelancers, so I'm curious about what your biggest obstacle is. My biggest issue is uncertainty since sometimes I get a lot of orders and other times I don't get any orders at all. Another challenge is dealing with a client's unreasonable requests because it's hard to convince him to comprehend them. Would love to hear yours; perhaps some of you are struggling with a lack of motivation or a sense of isolation. Let's start! ☺️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Challenges of the modern freelancer:

1) Elastic bands

Seriously “Target” sweatpants, if I purchase a large - my assumption is that you don’t include an elastic band so tight it could double for a weight belt. 

2) Dehydration

The FDA recommends limiting coffee intake to four cups per day to avoid dehydration. Alternatively, it’s recommended to drink 8 cups of water daily. In other words - after 16 cups of coffee, I’m pretty positive that everything equals out.

3) Chronic Back Problems

Back problems have plagued the freelancer for decades. For relief, try bending your knees and lowering in a upright motion before reaching for your computer and throwing it out the window during your next revision request.

4) Multiple Personality Disorder 

A common ailment plaguing freelancers comes in the form of developing multiple personalities. If you identify as a “professional” or “having years of experience” it’s quite possible that you’re experiencing symptoms. Ask yourself the following:

Was your last job associated to making fries? Do you live with your parents? Do you receive a weekly or biweekly paycheck for arriving to an external destination?

If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, while calling yourself a “self employed professional” you may need immediate care.

5) Prolonged Heebee Jeebies

This event occurs when a potential client asks something so profoundly dumb that your brain enters a self-preserving state of temporary fugue. Examples include:

“What do you mean you don’t take Amazon gift cards?”

“If I buy more and you work equally as hard on everything, can I get it for less?”

“Can I know your full name and have a picture for … science?”

This concludes the 2023 list of “most challenging” scenarios facing modern freelancers. For your freelancer decoder ring, please send $4.99 in a stamped envelope and don’t forget to get your parents permission. 

• Like 12
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, damooch916 said:

1) Elastic bands

Seriously “Target” sweatpants, if I purchase a large - my assumption is that you don’t include an elastic band so tight it could double for a weight belt. 

@damooch916 I did not understand this part, elastic band part. 

Your answer is interesting to read.

@maheennadeem814 My biggest obstacle is that I have to wake up in the middle of the night to answer my clients who live in a different time zone. Another obstacle is that I have to deal with a lot of stress now as I am starting out on Fiverr.

Thank you.

• Like 8

On 1/23/2023 at 12:33 PM, damooch916 said:

Challenges of the modern freelancer:

1) Elastic bands

2) Dehydration

The FDA recommends limiting coffee intake to four cups per day to avoid dehydration. Alternatively, it’s recommended to drink 8 cups of water daily. In other words - after 16 cups of coffee, I’m pretty positive that everything equals out.

3) Chronic Back Problems

Back problems have plagued the freelancer for decades. For relief, try bending your knees and lowering in a upright motion before reaching for your computer and throwing it out the window during your next revision request.

4) Multiple Personality Disorder 

A common ailment plaguing freelancers comes in the form of developing multiple personalities. If you identify as a “professional” or “having years of experience” it’s quite possible that you’re experiencing symptoms. Ask yourself the following:

Was your last job associated to making fries? Do you live with your parents? Do you receive a weekly or biweekly paycheck for arriving to an external destination?

If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, while calling yourself a “self employed professional” you may need immediate care.

5) Prolonged Heebee Jeebies

This event occurs when a potential client asks something so profoundly dumb that your brain enters a self-preserving state of temporary fugue. Examples include:

“What do you mean you don’t take Amazon gift cards?”

“If I buy more and you work equally as hard on everything, can I get it for less?”

“Can I know your full name and have a picture for … science?”

This concludes the 2023 list of “most challenging” scenarios facing modern freelancers. For your freelancer decoder ring, please send $4.99 in a stamped envelope and don’t forget to get your parents permission. 

Quite an interesting response 😄

• Like 5
  • Congrats! 2

On 1/23/2023 at 12:42 PM, noirparliament_ said:

@maheennadeem814 My biggest obstacle is that I have to wake up in the middle of the night to answer my clients who live in a different time zone. Another obstacle is that I have to deal with a lot of stress now as I am starting out on Fiverr.

Thank you.

For sure these obstacles feel like nightmares 😅 btw best of luck to you 

• Like 5
  • Up 2

I guess somewhere along the lines of 

1. Trying to stand out when there are thousands of other competitors.

2. Having a backup plan when you face a dry-up period.
I'm going through one right now, things are going surprisingly slow for the past few weeks.
Not worried though, I guess I'll enjoy this quiet time while I can.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:33 PM, damooch916 said:

3) Chronic Back Problems

THIS. THIS!!! I went to get a back/shoulder massage the other day and the massage therapist told me my shoulders were like rocks.
I'm going back to that place again this weekend!!

• Like 9