Commercial Use and Licencing for Music - Clarification needed

rexxfernandez

Question

As a potential buyer of Music Production Services on Fiver, i am after clarification on "Commercial Use Licence" in the Fiver Terms of Service before i commit to hiring from the platform.

It does NOT explicitly say that i can sell the products (music recordings), only promotion / webpages etc.
Does that mean i cannot put the music on iTunes or Spotify and generate income from the music?

It also says the Seller retains all ownership rights, whereas i would see it as a "work for hire" where the creator is paid for the music creation and relinquishes all rights to the buyer. Con someone please clarify?
If there is no Commercial Use Licence listed in the Basic, Standard or Premium packages, does that mean there is no default licence and the music defaults to the property of the creator, or do i need to specifically request the licence before booking the gig?

FIVER TERMS OF SERVICE - Gig Commercial Use License

By purchasing a “Commercial Use License” with your Gig Order, the Seller grants you a perpetual, exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use the purchased delivery for Permitted Commercial Purposes. For the avoidance of doubt, the Seller retains all ownership rights. “Permitted Commercial Purposes” means any business related use, such as (by way of example) advertising, promotion, creating web pages, integration into product, software or other business related tools etc., and strictly excludes any illegal, immoral or defamatory purpose. This License is subject to Fiverr’s Terms of Service.

• Like 4

1 answer to this question

This is why I don't use fiverr for music production, I don't get the ownership right.
Fiverr should add that creator can transfer the ownership.
Commercial right is just NOT ENOUGH ! too many complication will rise in future if the music becomes a hit/viral.

• Like 2