Apparent GLITCH or BUG in response time calculation

gitioracle

This issue is truly alarming and something that made me, ONCE AGAIN, quit selling on Fiverr and I will stay away UNTIL this issue is fixed. My last departure had to do w another shocking algorithmic downgrade which happened when I was at hospital dealing w serious health issues and I found no help so I gave up bothering.  This time, it is ANOTHER algorithmic issue. This Algorithm is an AI. Sorry. That seems to be the case.  It seems conscious with the mind of his/her own going rogue causing havoc. ANYONE paying attention in Fiverr's engineering team??

My gig is highly rated, never have had any issues and my clients know responding to them is my religion. I’m known for my responsiveness, and going out of my ways re responding to clients all my life, and not just on Fiverr.

I returned to Fiverr after 2.5 years of absence in the middle of Nov. Given I live in Australia and out of normal hour zone, my response time is always 1-2 hours. That’s normal for me. Suddenly, my average response time went to 72 hours overnight! I brought the glitch issue to Fiverr. Received zero meaningful help or explanation. Then it went to 48 hours, magically, after the first complaint. It remained there and it is still 48 hours. 

So far, I have received 3 irrelevant pedantic responses from Fiverr trying to teach me how their system work. I have received zero proof or evidence re how my average response time that a child can see going over my responses to few messages are all within few hours cannot possibly equate to 72 or 48 hour averages.

Not sure about others, but as a PhD level engineer, I think I know how averages are calculated and how WRONG their system is. I’m amazed by their algorithm! Truly, fascinating case for me. I cannot believe I actually have been experiencing this unreal situation. A simple apology and admission of a massive glitch is what I expected as a responsible grown up engineer. But hey, that’s too much to ask apparently. 

I live by the golden rule. All my life has strong boundaries that I never ever fail to abide by no matter what the cost. I stopped my gigs. I stopped my ads. I could care less. It’s fair for Fiverr to expect sellers to do the right things. It’s SELLER’S RIGHT to expect Fiverr to do the right thing. I learned this years ago. What’s right is what’s right. We should all have self respect and never ever work within unjust and disrespectful rules and regulations. I will wait it out until this rogue algorithm sorts out its (mis)calculation issues. Nothing will be missed. 

Giti Oracle

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gitioracle said:

This issue is truly alarming and something that made me, ONCE AGAIN, quit selling on Fiverr and I will stay away UNTIL this issue is fixed. My last departure had to do w another shocking algorithmic downgrade which happened when I was at hospital dealing w serious health issues and I found no help so I gave up bothering.  This time, it is ANOTHER algorithmic issue. This Algorithm is an AI. Sorry. That seems to be the case.  It seems conscious with the mind of his/her own going rogue causing havoc. ANYONE paying attention in Fiverr's engineering team??

My gig is highly rated, never have had any issues and my clients know responding to them is my religion. I’m known for my responsiveness, and going out of my ways re responding to clients all my life, and not just on Fiverr.

I returned to Fiverr after 2.5 years of absence in the middle of Nov. Given I live in Australia and out of normal hour zone, my response time is always 1-2 hours. That’s normal for me. Suddenly, my average response time went to 72 hours overnight! I brought the glitch issue to Fiverr. Received zero meaningful help or explanation. Then it went to 48 hours, magically, after the first complaint. It remained there and it is still 48 hours. 

So far, I have received 3 irrelevant pedantic responses from Fiverr trying to teach me how their system work. I have received zero proof or evidence re how my average response time that a child can see going over my responses to few messages are all within few hours cannot possibly equate to 72 or 48 hour averages.

Not sure about others, but as a PhD level engineer, I think I know how averages are calculated and how WRONG their system is. I’m amazed by their algorithm! Truly, fascinating case for me. I cannot believe I actually have been experiencing this unreal situation. A simple apology and admission of a massive glitch is what I expected as a responsible grown up engineer. But hey, that’s too much to ask apparently. 

I live by the golden rule. All my life has strong boundaries that I never ever fail to abide by no matter what the cost. I stopped my gigs. I stopped my ads. I could care less. It’s fair for Fiverr to expect sellers to do the right things. It’s SELLER’S RIGHT to expect Fiverr to do the right thing. I learned this years ago. What’s right is what’s right. We should all have self respect and never ever work within unjust and disrespectful rules and regulations. I will wait it out until this rogue algorithm sorts out its (mis)calculation issues. Nothing will be missed. 

Giti Oracle

I actually think there is a pretty big flaw in their calculation, which could explain what is going on.

Think of the messages as a sorted array:

ie, [m1, m2, m3, m4, ...... mN]

So each message mN has a timestamp, and I think they use the 60 day cuttoff to determine the set of reference messages to include, but then I suspect that each reference message is compared to its immediate prior message within the thread, ie, the m(n-1)th message, which could be months or years ago, outside the 60 day window.

This then accrues a huge time penalty.

For example. Lets say you have an old old old client, who last messaged you 2 years ago at the end of a transaction. You send them an offer just now, to try and re-ignite the relationship, and the 'offer' therefore falls inside the 60 day rolling window. But it is then compared to the last message which was 2 years ago, and incorrectly contributes a massive time penalty.

I am a programmer, and this is my explanation of what might be happening, but I have not seen their code base so its difficult to say for sure, so this is just speculation in a sense.

However, fiverr should listen to this kind of feedback instead of just redirecting people to some stupid condescending knowledge-base like they are low intelligence grifters. Sellers have a pretty good intuition as to how quickly they respond to their customers, and if sellers are reporting "Hey I usually respond within 1 or 2 hours, but you say it takes days and days", then it could be a good indication that there is a bug in the particular calculation methodology.

Cheers,

Hament

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, hament said:

actually think there is a pretty big flaw in their calculation, which could explain what is going on.

Think of the messages as a sorted array:

ie, [m1, m2, m3, m4, ...... mN]

So each message mN has a timestamp, and I think they use the 60 day cuttoff to determine the set of reference messages to include, but then I suspect that each reference message is compared to its immediate prior message within the thread, ie, the m(n-1)th message, which could be months or years ago, outside the 60 day window.

EXACTLY! It seems to me ( I am the only one who has tried to forgure out this MASSIVE BUG W FUVERR algorithm, perhaps Fiverr's head of engineering is on vacation at the moment) that their algorithm HAS GONE BACK IN TIME and included messages sent to me in 2021 and even 2020 when I WAS AWAY and bc when I returned I sent some of these folks special offers or told them I am back, the FAULTY system has been including my responses to OLD messages and includes them in the originally flawed calculation. As an engineer, I can't stop laughing. Do these folks include ANY level of care for justice, productivity, profitability etc?? The entire  CONCEPT of response time calculation (which has NO REGARD for folks in Australia or outside of typical northern hemisphere time zone & ZERO regard for counting the number of CALENDAR DAYS ONLY & even includes messages sent while sellers were AWAY) is truly shocking level stuff to me. It is truly another level as far as just labour rights are concerned, but I don't own this company. I sure will not use such metrics in mine and they are within their rights to do whatever they like.

However, we are within our rights to not work w any system that doesn't work for us. Fair is fair.

Thank you for your detailed and informative response! Hopefully the Engineering Team at Fiverr can take note.

Cheers & HAPPY NEW YR!

Giti

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gitioracle said:

seems conscious with the mind of his/her own going rogue causing havoc

Did you check if you have any messages in the spam folder in the last days? 

37 minutes ago, hament said:

Lets say you have an old old old client, who last messaged you 2 years ago at the end of a transaction.

Fiverr doesn’t count every message in every chat. 
It counts only the dry first message from a first time client. 

• Like 2
  • Up 1

Fiverr should really have an option to view how they've worked the calc out - which messages it's taken into account, their dates and times, when your replies were made to them (date+time) and how many hours that was etc. That would make it a lot easier for people to check.

You could show them something similar for proof that it's incorrect if it is. eg. show them the list of messages from buyers who first messaged you in the last 60 days, with the date and time of their messages (the 1st message from each of those users to you), maybe also the date & time you replied, and how long it took you to reply to each, then work out the average show that to them as what the avg response time should be set to.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

Fiverr doesn’t count every message in every chat. 
It counts only the dry first message from a first time client. 

What you have stated/claimed is contrary to Fiverrs own support article:

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011451678-Everything-you-need-to-know-about-response-time--rate?segment=seller

"Responsiveness refers to the tracking of a Fiverr seller’s response rate (what percentage of inbox messages you reply to within twenty-four hours) as well as your response time (how quickly you respond to a new request in your inbox). Replying within 24 hours is necessary for your response to be tracked. Response time is based on the last 60 days of a seller’s activity and tracks the amount of time it takes for a seller to respond when they receive an inbox message.  Response time tracks all responses, not just the first message from the buyer."

Specifically:

"Response time tracks all responses, not just the first message from the buyer."

Edited by hament
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Up 1

It might have changed. I think it might in the past have only been based on the first message. In the dashboard pop-up help for inbox response time it says:

This is your average response time to inbox messages from new people in the last 60 days.

The "from new people" is misleading now if it's now based on every message - because it wouldn't just be messages from new (to you) people. I think it might only put the timer icon on the first message from a new (to you) buyer which also might be a bit misleading if it takes all messages into account (which it seems to based on that article). Though maybe the timer icon is also/mainly to help prevent your response rate from dropping, so you don't forget to respond within 24 hours.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

Did you check if you have any messages in the spam folder in the last days? 

According to Fiverr, they DO NOT include spam messages. I’ll check soon. But that’s written in their own policy. I don’t really think they actually know their own policy. Clearly, the engineering folks do not efficiently communicate w the rest. 

I actually find it insulting after selling for years and having over 125 five stars from many nations that somehow, fiverr is trying to teach and preach to me how I do my things. I think I’m not a rookie at this rate. I know what I do. I know how to sell. I know how to behave. I know how to get new clients. I know how to communicate. I have zero reasons and I gain nothing by trying to look the other way if I am actually taking 2-3 days on average to respond to clients, new or otherwise. 

This is POOR and self destructive behaviour, mindset, and policy to MISREPORT my stats wrongly to the whole world and somehow act as if I am the guilty party. No one has written to me from upper management on fiverr to explain this to me. Nothing. They keep changing names and write to me generic pasted responses. No professional anywhere should be subjected to such poor practices. 

My parents taught me to apologise for my mistakes and do something about them by the time I was 5! How is it that a global company can’t do what’s right?! How is it possible that after years of selling and as a highly rated seller, I’m all of a sudden a delinquent slow tardy seller???! How is that even logical?? I’m sick of talking to a brick wall when I write to them. This is unacceptable behaviour. 

Thanks for your response!

Giti

• Like 1

And so everyone know, speaking of ODD glitches, yesterday fiverr put a maximum in my number of comments. It says I've reached the maximum per day. Yet, today, a day after, I’m still banned from commenting!

I’m BANNED bc I did a FAVOUR telling fiverr they have a massive glitch?!

Is that so,???

wow!

why am I not surprised. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rexhoward said:

I’m BANNED bc I did a FAVOUR telling fiverr they have a massive glitch?!

Is that so,???

Ok here you need to take a chill pill. EVERY new person on the forum has a limit of 5 posts in 24 hours. (Most of us were against that but management decided that it’s the best way to deal with spam) 

check your spam folder and if you have messages there. It shouldn’t be taken into account but for some reason some of the spam messages does count. 

• Like 1
  • Up 1

9 hours ago, rexhoward said:

According to Fiverr, they DO NOT include spam messages. I’ll check soon. But that’s written in their own policy.

Spam messages are not supposed to count, but there was (or maybe still is) a bug affecting at least some sellers, where spam messages did count.

9 hours ago, rexhoward said:

Giti

If you're the same person as @gitioracle, you should be aware that having more than one account is a huge violation of Fiverr's Terms of Service (a violation that can end in permanent ban of all related accounts).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, catwriter said:

If you're the same person as @gitioracle, you should be

Giti is my wife, she does not have multiple accounts, nor have I, I let her write using my account because they seem to have now blocked her from commenting.

If Fiverr thinks they can silence sellers using such tactics, I am going to say, WOW and leave it at that. If that’s not the case, then there’s a another glitch  

The new strange glitch says she has now maxed out on the number of comments per day, yet she has left 3-4 comments 2-3 days ago. Is that true? You seem to know about commenting so appreciate your feedback here.

It is as if they are PUNISHING her from bringing out a huge issue to everyone’s attention that Fiverr does not want to address. And we do not know why. 

she says there are no spams in her folder. 

I think my wife and I who have better things/jobs to do in life should leave this platform alone. I barely got into it anyways and here she does a very niche job that virtually was unmatched on fiverr which got her a huge following and many 5 stars rather quickly. She doesn’t deserve this level of treatment. I can’t believe the stuff she’s faced so far to be perfectly honest given how perfect and unique she is at what she does. You’d think a platform like this would love to have sellers like her and keep them happy. 

Thank you all,

Rex

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rexhoward said:

The new strange glitch says she has now maxed out on the number of comments per day, yet she has left 3-4 comments 2-3 days ago. Is that true? You seem to know about commenting so appreciate your feedback here.

If I remember correctly, the limit is 5 comments in 24 hours (everything is included in those 5 comments, not just posts on the forum, but private messages and messages on profiles of other users, too).

A glitch that's preventing her from posting is possible, and since it's holiday season, fixing anything might take more time.

It is as if they are PUNISHING her from bringing out a huge issue to everyone’s attention that Fiverr does not want to address.

If it's affecting a small number of users, I'm not sure Fiverr would consider it huge. And if it's affecting only users who took a break from Fiverr for a couple of years, well, Fiverr might be more interested in fixing issues affecting those who have been selling without taking breaks.

Not to mention that fixing any issue takes time. And there are issues affecting a lot more people that haven't been taken care of yet.

she does a very niche job that virtually was unmatched on fiverr

Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean no offense, but astrology readings and psychic readings are far from unique on Fiverr. There are 16,667 services available in the Astrology & Psychics subcategory, and those often get 5 stars.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, catwriter said:

If I remember correctly, the limit is 5 comments in 24 hours (everything is included in those 5 comments, not just posts on the forum, but private messages and messages on profiles of other users, too).

A glitch that's preventing her from posting is possible, and since it's holiday season, fixing anything might take more time.

If it's affecting a small number of users, I'm not sure Fiverr would consider it huge. And if it's affecting only users who took a break from Fiverr for a couple of years, well, Fiverr might be more interested in fixing issues affecting those who have been selling without taking breaks.

Not to mention that fixing any issue takes time. And there are issues affecting a lot more people that haven't been taken care of yet.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean no offense, but astrology readings and psychic readings are far from unique on Fiverr. There are 16,667 services available in the Astrology & Psychics subcategory, and those often get 5 stars.

Yes, that seems to be correct even though it was passed 24 hours and I was still unable to comment. We have had ODD experiences w this platform so for us, trust is very much gone. We are all made by our experiences.

Yes. The glitch is definitely not a minor one, but I know what it takes to fix such glitches and I think it is about saving money on paying programmers to fix glitches that may affect fewer sellers. It is all about numbers.

Re your last comment, I don't get any offence bc most average humans out there don't even know astrology IS NOT psychic reading, FAR from it, I am sure you don't know much about the history of astrology, its importance to the world of science and how all scholars throughout history practiced and perfected Astrology among other sciences. What I do as a PhD level engineer who has 3 STEM degrees and has studied and researched astrology using ancient text is not what is MATCHED w anything on Fiverr or other places. I use my own computation and my own system and here, I do charity service, meaning, I charge very little compared to my outside rate as a matter of service given my level of work and  also compared to what my regular clients pay outside of here ( folks in wall street, politicians, celebrities, etc). Astrologers ( AGAIN, that is NOT psychical work or witchcraft, & to be a professional astrologer, one must know how to analyse a chart, it is using a highly sophisticated  linguistic expertise deciphering specific codes & configurations in the middle of a kaleidoscope of fibonacci and sacred geometry  based patterns and we don't exactly use computer softwares, we try, but that is very limited ) in my level are overbooked and takes them months to deliver the reading. You can try for yourself and if you got a reading from a professional  astrologer before March, I'd be impressed. Also, I have perfected a system that uses tested ancient and modern as well as Jungian psychology as well as quantum physics & quantum biology. What I do is 100% unique and unmatched. That is why, I went from 450 in the rankings in 2020 to second highest ranked within a month. My ave selling price at the moment is close to $100 USD and vast majority of my clients tip very well & are returned clients. Many of my reviews do say how unique my readings are. I am so sure of the quality ad uniqueness of my work that I have provided ZERO examples or videos and yet, people have been buying non stop & they returned in large numbers after my absense of 2.5 years.  A few told me they had written to Fiverr asking about me. 

So w ALL DUE RESPECT, what I do is extremely unique, self made, and  it is NICHE and you cannot compare my work w anyone in the 'astrology' category. Not only it is very unique in the cocept, I also deliver a LOT for what I charge ( 3-4 hours of readings, it'll barely worth my time, as I said, it is a karmic service for me), something most astrologers never do or can do bc they must make a living. 

So Fiverr may not lose much by losing my gig in terms of quantity, but as far as uniqueness and QUALITY is concerned, it is going to definitely lose.

Happy New yr,

Giti

• Like 1

My response rate has dropped to 93% despite me answering every message within six hours. This has been a glitch issue for years now. In another thread I suggested that it’s due to the messages that go into spam that we don’t even see, despite Fiverr assuring us that our rates aren’t affected. 

• Like 2

Would be nice if Fiverr responded to my assessment above, to either confirm or deny. I am happy to even discuss my observations with an actual human that isn't some customer-service rep who's sole job is (as it appears to me) to basically placate help-desk queries without actually providing any concrete resolution, accountability or action paths. FWIW, I am normally paid, professionally, hundreds of dollars per hour to basically diagnose difficult issues and bugs.

Edited by hament
  • Like 2

Update for everyone...I have had a bunch more responses from Fiverr sending me satisfaction surveys re the solutions they have offered ( which has amounted to ZERO solution)  and more random avatars contacting me asking 'what the issue is and how they can help' !!!!   🤯

That only means they DO NOT WANT TO address the issue, either bc it affects a few sellers ( costly to bother) OR it is a can of worms they don't want to open...hence, why they don't even ANSWER or ACKNOWLEDGE the part where their platform has been wrongly misreporting the time, going from average response of 2 hours to 72 hours and then 48 hours all in a span of 4 days and now, it is stuck at 48 hours for weeks. REALLY DISTURBING.

Testing to see if I wait another 30 days, the stat changes. Otherwise, I am out of here. I wish most sellers could stick to certain boundaries but I know many can't even if they wanted to. Sadly, such platforms work by the law of numbers & quality means not much to most platforms these days.

Giti

• Like 1

My avg response time was 1hr. I got a spam. I blocked the user. Next day when I checked app my avg response time has gone down to 9hrs. Then I checked the inbox the blocked message was still pending a response 😕 So I unblocked the user, replied him and blocked the user again. Then only the message pending disappeared. I reported this to CS. I got no proper help. Still having avg response time as 9hrs.

PS. I now reply spam before blocking the user 😁

Edited by shifan

I dropped down 2% over a week and I've had zero messages. I've replied quickly to my current clients. This Fiverr system just doesn't make any sense at all. And no, I had zero spams in my message inbox too.