Dead gig purge?

newsmike

It appears that Fiverr is purging gigs that are either old, non billing or otherwise dead wood.  Just a year ago I recall posts where we were discussing how the pandemic caused a flood of sellers, ballooning the Voice Over vertical to 25,000 gigs. I just happened to look and discovered that there are fewer than half that now. Great start. Keep it up please!

image.png.f16bc561ef3342aeead7b84b15a1fe5c.png 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 18

On 12/21/2022 at 11:43 AM, moikchap said:

While our numbers don't directly match newsmike's... there is a trend. Catwriter saw 32057. Andy saw 32027. I see 32025. The quoted numbers are descending.

About 4 months ago there were about 29,407 in the recommended sort so they've increased since then. It might be that it will only show a big increase after a particular time when some indexing takes place. So maybe if we check tomorrow at roughly the same time it will give a better idea whether they are increasing/decreasing. 

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, moikchap said:

All I did to get my numbers was select the Music & Audio category from the bar at the top, then select the Voice Over sub-category. It should be similarly unfiltered. Since my last post, that same filter now shows 32011. A drop of 13 in about an hour.

I did it much simpler. I just typed voice over on the search bar. I'm too lazy, I guess... 🙈😂

• Like 4

I get a lower number of results when I search for "voice over" (about 26,315). It could be because there are active gigs in the voice over category that don't get returned with that search, eg. ones called "I will record your podcast intro..." rather than having voice over  in the title/description.

Also it showing less could also be due to gigs getting paused rather than deleted. Maybe some people might pause their gig(s) over the Christmas period.

But like I said it might increase tommorow if it only does a big indexing at a particular time.

Also maybe some of it could be due to the country where the user is (and maybe what the Fiverr server is or what sort of caching it's doing) and maybe whether they are logged in or not might matter.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4

On 12/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, uk1000 said:

I get a lower number of results when I search for "voice over" (about 26,315). It could be because there are active gigs in the voice over category that don't get returned with that search, eg. ones called "I will record your podcast intro..." rather than having voice over  in the title/description.

That could explain the difference between the number of results that @catwriter Andy and @moikchapget and the one I see. But yet, not even near to @newsmike's 10,065... 🤔 

• Like 7

This is what I'm seeing at the moment, just 10,007 ... I'll check again tomorrow if I remember or see this thread in my notifications ... 

138485560_Screenshot(1817).thumb.png.e99cbea1dbda5fb7e888749451237b01.png

I also wonder if what we see, including the number, may already somewhat be tailored to us individually. Maybe the algorithm knows that it makes more sense to offer some of us just the upper third or such, anyhow 😉 

ETA: Just sorted for "Best Selling", and got 10,004, then again for the default "Recommended", 10,004, too. Maybe, peu à peu, sellers pause Gigs for Christmas now. That's just my explanation for 10,007 > 10,004, though, not for the 20k+ / 10K difference 😉 

When I use the search bar and type "voice over", I get the 26K, too. From my experience with search, back when I used to still make such fun experiments more often, I concluded that search is a bit... Well, I wouldn't wonder if that number includes any Gig that for any reason has either "voice" or "over" somewhere in some text, which would inflate the actual number. 

Back to category click, voilà, > 10,003. Christmas. At least, let's hope it's that, and not the seasonal flu, that lets the VOs turn off their Gigs one by one 😉 

Edited by miiila
  • Like 9

As tentatively promised, a day later, ta-daaaa... from 10,003 to 31,797.

Well, well. Maybe put the champagne back in your yacht's fridge until New Year's, Mike. Cordially yours, 🤖 (Hm, did discobot get a makeover?)

2040895896_Screenshot(1820).thumb.png.dbc6024f34dfd4fcac63ccd45068561e.png

Of course, you are right. I said it like, you know, one does, "Ramses built the pyramids", "Napoleon conquered Europe", "Mike put the champagne back in the fridge", ... 😉 

Yeah... but... I do wish Discobot would add a little "i" symbol next to those numbers, with a hover-explanation to tell us that you should monitor them over a period of 60 days, and then take the 5th root to get the actual number. 🤖

• Like 9
  • Haha 1