Let's talk about this ChatGPT Ai

alphabase

Question

ChatGPT is getting very popular around the globe. And with this growing popularity, there is a very high probability that it might start affecting freelance writers.

Right now, we can easily see how this Ai can make short work writing about anything , even very complex topics. As a freelance writer I feel a a bit scared and worried about this development and how it can affect the future of this industry. 

Am I the only one feeling this way, and what do you guys really think about this ChatGPT Ai? 

• Like 66
  • Confused 4
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 2

there are tools that can detect content provided (I wouldn't go so far as to use the term written). by ChatGPT (and GPT-3 by extension) Ive used them and they are accurate at detecting content and also content generated in this way is easy enough to see if you use it as is.  Having said that it's easy enough to generate content and then improve on it and it will rank in the search results. (for now it does).  I was using an API written for it for it ( there is no official api yet and when there is they are going to charge for it) but last night they managed to pull the plug on the API. Ive written complete articles with it, generated code with it, used it to provide content for bids and used it for other purposes.  Over the past week Ive seen numerous articles saying google is toast and in a year ChatGPT will replace google searches. (you can easily use it to provide ten different answers to a question, aka the first page of the search results). thats not going to happen and I think there are going to be a lot of restrictions when the official API is released. The same as what happened with GPT-3 when it was first released. It's being used for far more than just writing content though and people writing junk content will have something to worry about.

• Like 58
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, markp said:

there are tools that can detect content provided (I wouldn't go so far as to use the term written). by ChatGPT (and GPT-3 by extension) Ive used them and they are accurate at detecting content and also content generated in this way is easy enough to see if you use it as is.  Having said that it's easy enough to generate content and then improve on it and it will rank in the search results. (for now it does).  I was using an API written for it for it ( there is no official api yet and when there is they are going to charge for it) but last night they managed to pull the plug on the API. Ive written complete articles with it, generated code with it, used it to provide content for bids and used it for other purposes.  Over the past week Ive seen numerous articles saying google is toast and in a year ChatGPT will replace google searches. (you can easily use it to provide ten different answers to a question, aka the first page of the search results). thats not going to happen and I think there are going to be a lot of restrictions when the official API is released. The same as what happened with GPT-3 when it was first released. It's being used for far more than just writing content though and people writing junk content will have something to worry about.

Thanks for this insight markp

• Like 46
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 1

On 12/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, urban_rex said:

It's not about only writers, 
Graphic designers, Video editors, 3d model desigers and digital artists all are worry about AI programs. 

I wouldn't say that , I am better than AI in my field 😄 I have no worries at all in plus a real person would always choose to work with a real person in my opinion at least .

Edit

In plus I see that the whole AI thing is generating pictures of... whatever anything you want including logos however pictures alone without the actual source files won't be usable 

• Like 49
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/15/2022 at 11:04 AM, urban_rex said:

It's not about only writers, 
Graphic designers, Video editors, 3d model desigers and digital artists all are worry about AI programs. 

So true! I recently watched a video of this Ai writing codes and creating an app from scratch in minutes. That is scary 

• Like 39
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 2

Writer here and I'm not concerned...yet. I made an attempt at using ChatGPT to write some content for my own website and I discovered an interesting limitation; it stated that it didn't have access to the internet so it could not give me information that is current. Say I wanted to write a news article, it straight up wouldn't do it because it can't.

Also, the content it writes can feel pretty stale and lack style, at least in its current form. If you are just trying to make an SEO article that aims to get google snippets, then maybe it can give you exactly what you need. However, if you want your content to have personality that engages its readers, then you won't get a good raw output. What it can help with, though, is structuring the content and giving you the facts and information. All you need to do is then add style and make it read better. It's like ordering a block of granite and then chiselling away until you turn it into a statue of Aphrodite.

I also took a stab at using it to write code and I have to say that I was impressed with what it did, but again, I need to put in some time to make what I need. A regular person with no coding knowledge or experience won't be able to produce something without putting a significant amount of time.

In terms of my work as a freelancer, I am not that worried yet. Its performance is impressive and far ahead of what I imagined. But it still needs a fair bit of training before it can truly make unique and engaging content.

What @markp said about it replacing Google is a thought I had as well. It's definitely something we should all be keeping an eye on.

• Like 45
  • Congrats! 1

6 hours ago, yannisenglish said:

Writer here and I'm not concerned...yet. I made an attempt at using ChatGPT to write some content for my own website and I discovered an interesting limitation; it stated that it didn't have access to the internet so it could not give me information that is current. Say I wanted to write a news article, it straight up wouldn't do it because it can't.

Also, the content it writes can feel pretty stale and lack style, at least in its current form. If you are just trying to make an SEO article that aims to get google snippets, then maybe it can give you exactly what you need. However, if you want your content to have personality that engages its readers, then you won't get a good raw output. What it can help with, though, is structuring the content and giving you the facts and information. All you need to do is then add style and make it read better. It's like ordering a block of granite and then chiselling away until you turn it into a statue of Aphrodite.

I also took a stab at using it to write code and I have to say that I was impressed with what it did, but again, I need to put in some time to make what I need. A regular person with no coding knowledge or experience won't be able to produce something without putting a significant amount of time.

In terms of my work as a freelancer, I am not that worried yet. Its performance is impressive and far ahead of what I imagined. But it still needs a fair bit of training before it can truly make unique and engaging content.

What @markp said about it replacing Google is a thought I had as well. It's definitely something we should all be keeping an eye on.

Thanks for this @yannisenglish every reply just keeps increasing my confidence! Maybe we do have a fighting chance against the rise of the Ai 😁 

• Like 38
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, alphabase said:

Thanks for this @yannisenglish every reply just keeps increasing my confidence! Maybe we do have a fighting chance against the rise of the Ai 😁 

Of course we do 🙂

If 41 years of existence has taught me anything, is that we humans will always find reasons to pass things we need to do to others. No matter how much easier technology makes our lives, we'll always find one reason or another to say "I can't be bothered". I had a person literally say to me "what, I have to login first?"

Even with AI, people will need to polish what the bots produce. What I plan to do is adapt to this new revolution. I will use the AI to help save me time, get the tedious stuff out of the way. At the end of the day, the question I ask myself is this: do I just want to deliver something or do I want to deliver a piece of work that I put myself into?

Until the AI can go into my brain (Sun forbid!), learn my thoughts and style and write it exactly as I would have, I'm going to still be needed by those who value what they put on their website. Let the cheapskates go to the $5 sellers who'll just copy-paste what the AI spits out.

• Like 32
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 2

Right now, AI isn't good enough to replace most freelancers, but I gotta admit I'm pretty scared about the future. AI capabilities are progressing rapidly right now, and I think in a decade, or perhaps even sooner, it might be able to do things we never thought it would be capable of. I think we've only seen a fraction of its potential.

I'm an optimist in the sense that I think AI will bring a lot of good to humanity, but like everyone, I'm, of course, selfish, so I also worry about how it's gonna impact creatives. 

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 37
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, yannisenglish said:

Of course we do 🙂

If 41 years of existence has taught me anything, is that we humans will always find reasons to pass things we need to do to others. No matter how much easier technology makes our lives, we'll always find one reason or another to say "I can't be bothered". I had a person literally say to me "what, I have to login first?"

Even with AI, people will need to polish what the bots produce. What I plan to do is adapt to this new revolution. I will use the AI to help save me time, get the tedious stuff out of the way. At the end of the day, the question I ask myself is this: do I just want to deliver something or do I want to deliver a piece of work that I put myself into?

Until the AI can go into my brain (Sun forbid!), learn my thoughts and style and write it exactly as I would have, I'm going to still be needed by those who value what they put on their website. Let the cheapskates go to the $5 sellers who'll just copy-paste what the AI spits out.

hahaha.. with this Elon neuralink stuff, mind reading might just be possible 

• Like 33
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, vibronx said:

Right now, AI isn't good enough to replace most freelancers, but I gotta admit I'm pretty scared about the future. AI capabilities are progressing rapidly right now, and I think in a decade, or perhaps even sooner, it might be able to do things we never thought it would be capable of. I think we've only seen a fraction of its potential.

I'm an optimist in the sense that I think AI will bring a lot of good to humanity, but like everyone, I'm, of course, selfish, so I also worry about how it's gonna impact creatives. 

I totally agree with you @vibronx its a love and hate relationship for us creatives 

• Like 36
  • Congrats! 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2022 at 4:05 PM, markp said:

Can you name the tool that you used to detect the AI content? Was that a paid feature?

• Like 33
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

45 minutes ago, shopifysol said:

Can you name the tool that you used to detect the AI content? Was that a paid feature?

you can use hugging face. they have a free tool for ai detection. if you find it confusing to navigate you can use contentatscale. Google them Im not going to putting links here.  Also in case you are not aware ChatGPT is going to start putting watermarks in the content  so it can be identified as AI content. 

• Like 31
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 4

I've been a writer forever and keep up with this whole AI thing. Lots of people use them for basic blog posts, etc. I've had people ASK me to use them! Nope. I'm not sure why you'd hire a professional writer if you want them to use AI. I'm not that nervous about it yet. If things change, we adapt. That's how freelancers stay in business.

• Like 37
  • Confused 1
  • Congrats! 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, melanielm said:

I've been a writer forever and keep up with this whole AI thing. Lots of people use them for basic blog posts, etc. I've had people ASK me to use them! Nope. I'm not sure why you'd hire a professional writer if you want them to use AI. I'm not that nervous about it yet. If things change, we adapt. That's how freelancers stay in business.

I believe the saying is "evolve or die" I can't even imagine what 2030 would look like with all these massive advancement in technology

On 12/23/2022 at 3:37 PM, markp said:

you can use hugging face. they have a free tool for ai detection. if you find it confusing to navigate you can use contentatscale. Google them Im not going to putting links here.  Also in case you are not aware ChatGPT is going to start putting watermarks in the content  so it can be identified as AI content. 

It might be a business move to have users start signing up for a paid version. What do you think?

Edited by alphabase
  • Like 28
  • Sad 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks need to start writing congress, we and the world are going to need a UBI set up a whole lot sooner than most realize.

Its over. for many fields. I started an internet hosting and web design business in the mid 90's, it was a hard sell for a while. I could see what was and had to happen, so I did well and saw it early enough. I am already writing python and implementing api's into my hosting servers. 2 weeks ago I had never coded anything beyond pure htlm and a little java, I had no server space, and while building two online stores, I also wrote two children's books to send to my nieces.

G' (thats what I call her now :) did 80% of that work for me. and there is much more that got done. Folks unlike the early internet where we had time to ease into it and it took 4 or 5 years to get rolling, this is a big snowball that is 100x larger than it was just a month ago..  We all better figure something out, many are not going to be need by end of year, that includes accountants, engineers programmers.  - Well its obviously easy to tell that was me speaking. If y'all were clients though? you would get this....

Folks, we need to start writing to Congress. The world is going to need a universal basic income (UBI) a lot sooner than most people realize.

It's over for many fields. I started an internet hosting and web design business in the mid-90s. It was a hard sell for a while, but I could see what was happening and had to happen, so I did well and saw it early enough. I am already writing Python and implementing APIs into my hosting servers. Two weeks ago, I had never coded anything beyond pure HTML and a little Java. I had no server space, but while building two online stores, I also wrote two children's books to send to my nieces. G (that's what I call her now) did 80% of that work for me, and there is much more that got done.

Unlike the early internet, where we had time to ease into it and it took four or five years to get rolling, this is a big snowball that is 100 times larger than it was just a month ago. We all better figure something out. Many people, including accountants, engineers, and programmers, will not be needed by the end of the year. If you were my client, you would know that this is obviously easy to tell.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, maitasun said:

ChatGPT playing smart and just trying to confuse us mortal creatures... 😂

ChatGPT.thumb.jpg.3289b26604c47e4b6760d510ea2d64bd.jpg

you know this is interesting because this is a clear indication that chatGPT is never going to pass the Turing test... but it has.  The terms of reference for the test were not what i would call very scientific though and to say it has passed is not really correct.  I asked the same question different ways and had to tell it the correct way to do this.

image.thumb.png.1ffe75e0a5b0bef18a0b1e4ee863c6d7.png

here is the article about chatGPT passing the Turing test. -  binance.com/en/feed/post/110143 - this is anything but scientific and definitely not a peer published paper. 

I think you had best stick to asking it to write articles for now..

• Like 25
  • Haha 3
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markp said:

you know this is interesting because this is a clear indication that chatGPT is never going to pass the Turing test... but it has

The Turin test was a good idea at the time but when Turn created that test he probably assumed that every question would be answered properly by the software but some people have been fooled by it not answering questions properly (eg. it pretending not to understand English well/avoiding questions).

But also it would be more useful/intelligent if the software was better than a human at things, but if it was it would probably fail the Turin test. eg. if you asked it what was Pi*Pi to a million decimal places and it told you instantly you'd know it was not human but it would be more useful (for things in general) than having it just say something like "I don't know" or something less accurate.

Also they say GPT-4 should be released by early next year (someone said by around Feb 2023) which is supposed to be a lot better than GPT-3 that chatGPT is based on. So they could probably make a lot better chatGPT early next year using GPT-4.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 29
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 4