Sharing Gigs to friends, followers

mercurianus

Fiverr's community standards say do not post, offer or ask for paid reviews while at same time it allows you to share gigs to friends and followers.

So how does this help maintain the authenticity of the reviews? If I look at a seller and have to decide hiring them on  reviews, I can never know if it is from someone they know or a genuine user from Fiverr. 

Seems contradictory.

• Like 2

There's a point where you can know if someone is a "genuine" reviewer since reviews are public on profile in addition to gig. If they have a lot of reviews with a lot of different people, as some point, the network is too large to be entirely illegitimate. That individual is likely a trustworthy reviewer.

Like, five 5-star orders between the same pair of people? Sure, sketchy. Unreliable. But, it's possible to come across people with over 200 reviews between 100 different sellers. It's pretty unlikely they're friends with 100 different sellers. And, 200 completed orders would mean a lot of money eaten by fiverr's fees which those people are unlikely to spend on reviews just to pump reviews.

Any site with reviews is susceptible to some kind of "ballot box stuffing". The risk is always there. In this case, the ability to check out the reviewer is a big step to be able to spot shenanigans.

• Like 9

When I see a buyer's review for a particular seller or his service, I cannot see the buyer's other reviews. So I don't know if he is a genuine reviewer. You can only search for sellers profile, not buyers unless they place an order with you or they also happen to be both buyers and sellers.

And my concern is not about that. When you have a recent relevant review that's not good, and when you share your gigs (basically you ask someone you know or your social media friends to give you order on fiverr) , it gives sellers opportunity to hide their performance on a recent genuine order. 

Which is why this is not a very good feature. Sellers with large network can always game the algo.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, mercurianus said:

I cannot see the buyer's other reviews.

Type in the buyer's name after fiverr.com/ (example: fiverr.com/vibronx) and you'll be able to see the sellers who reviewed them/they reviewed.

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 11
  • Up 2

But even then, it's not necessary that a buyer should buy from so many different sellers or different type of services to be a genuine reviewer. Some genuine buyers do come back every now and then for same service from same seller and only for that.

So If am searching for a buyer and that shows 10 reviews from a particular seller, I still cannot figure if it is an organic buyer from fiverr or from the seller's social circle.

Edited by mercurianus
  • Like 8

If you have your father and your sister as followers in your social media, sharing is useless.

What they mean is, share your gig if you think you can find potential clients. I have my gigs link on my instagram, if anyone would like to conduct business, they can come to fiverr and order.

Or let say, you have 20k followers with some money to spend, share your gig and show them you are doing freelance services.

• Like 8

well If you have so many followers, why will you have to route them through fiverr in an age where there are so many payment methods available? I do some business outside but I don't see any incentive to route them through fiverr. If you found someone yourself for a big enough order, why will you share the commission here unnecessarily. I still don't get the point of sharing gigs. 

Edited by mercurianus
  • Like 7

Just now, mercurianus said:

well If you have so many followers, why will you have to route them through fiverr in an age where there are so many payment methods available? I do some business outside but I don't see any incentive to route them through fiverr.

Who knows? maybe you dont trust that they'll pay. Maybe you dont have that many avalible methods. For example, i cant have paypal because its closed in my country. 

Maybe you need to increase the traffic in your fiverr gig for the long run?

There are reasons. 

• Like 4
  • Up 3

ok. that is one valid point .

..And when you share gigs, you can always talk with them in that medium to give you the review you want. Then what is this point of strict metrics, everything being so strict. The whole point was to make the marketplace genuine and trustworthy.

Ok say you bought your follower from social media to fiverr.  Something goes off. What if the buyer reports that you pressured them to give a good review through the social media even though you didn't?  Now fiverr doesn't know you bought them through social media because they still registered as new buyer.

• Like 6

Well, fiverr got its %20. Its better than nothing. And you have advertised them for free.

Besides if they are your friends they would have liked what you have done for them anyhow because you would have done a good job. Right?

2 minutes ago, mercurianus said:

Something goes off. What if the buyer reports that you pressured them to give a good review through the social media even though you didn't?

That can happen without being followed by your buyer. No system is perfect. If they want to lie, they can lie. BUt i dont think fiverr would have taken it seriously since it happened outside of the platform. 

• Like 5

So Fiverr basically gets money but don't care about work and reviews.

2 minutes ago, ozan_erdi said:

Besides if they are your friends they would have liked what you have done for them anyhow because you would have done a good job. Right?

Exactly, and that's not good. When a lot of sellers put hard work and earn their reviews, Fiverr encourages you to bring your other clients to make them more popular and earn. we pay 20 % only for the clients they bring. So it is not right that they encourage basically made up orders. 

• Like 5
  • Up 1

Once you bring someone outside, there is no authenticity to the review system and seller's metrics.  How will there be an honest review by your friend or follower? You can basically solicit them to give good reviews when they contact you in social media and there the entire purpose of building a honest platform fails.

Edited by mercurianus
  • Like 7

So Fiverr basically gets money but don't care about work and reviews.

Exactly, and that's not good. When a lot of sellers put hard work and earn their reviews, Fiverr encourages you to bring your other clients to make them more popular and earn. we pay 20 % only for the clients they bring. So it is not right that they encourage basically made up orders. 

Well, fairness and rightfulness can be discussed for years. 

I'd like to think it this way;

Fiverr gave you an oppurtunity to sell your services, and it has to make money in order to maintain this platform. But it cannot and should not stick its fingers in your whole social network. So if you feel like tricking fiverr this way, well thats you. Fiverr still gave you a guarantee of payment and a guarantee of delivery to the buyer. That is a service you are paying. 

3 minutes ago, mercurianus said:

Exactly, and that's not good.

Why? You still did a good job and your friend is happy with what they get. Only difference is they thanked you with a formal way.

• Like 5

Conversely, if your friend or follower didn't like your work, you still have an ongoing outside contact with them to modify things and that's a lot of freedom. Will you still agree if your follower says in your social media inbox that your work is poor and that he will rate you bad? No, 99.9 percent will do something to modify that.

But with fiverr buyers that's not the case. They can still rate you bad despite n number of revisions. So getting a 5 star from fiver buyer and social media buyer is very different, that makes a huge difference in one's profile and impressions, private reviews etc  So I am not really tricking fiverr, fiverr itself is reducing the genuineness of the platform.

But yeah thank you for responding.

• Like 6

I get what you are saying. 

But its not gonna last. A profile based on lies and deceive sooner or later will go down. How many times a person is going to do that? I bet its not 500 times. You are losing %20 of the payment after all. 1 or 2 reviews is not going to change everything for years. 

No platform is perfect. You can do these kind of stuff everywhere. You can never pay for the thing an artist did for you. Or you can never deliver the work you have been paid for. Compared to those, what we are talking about is really not a big deal. So what someone has 2 more 5 star ratings. Next person have 450 5 star ratings.

Its just very insignificant.

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 5

and what about finding your buyers outside Fiverr? is that allowed? With today's social media you can find anyone pretty easily. 

Well fiverr encourages you to do that while mentioning sharing your gig. They get your %20, they get a buyer potentially spends more money in the platform. They reach out to more people which helps platform to grow.

What you are not allowed is to redirect your buyers from fiverr to outside of the platform. Which fiverr lose the %20 and the other benefits mentioned in that situation. And those are their payment for finding you a client. 

• Like 4

You didn't get me. I am asking, say I get an order. Often the person gives their name or has their username as their own name. So if I find them on some other social media, can I work with them? what does fiverr terms say about that? I haven't really explored social media  nor have a presence. So excuse me if its silly. I am not redirecting them. I am just finding them myself on social media. I have found so many popular writers from here on sm. So was curious.

Edited by mercurianus
  • Like 5

Fiverr cant control what you do on the internet. It can only control what you do in their platforms. 

Only thing fiverr says about is to not share your personal information in order to get people out. But they cant do anything about your stalking abilities. 

Altough i do not recommend it. We are just talking hypothetical 

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, mercurianus said:

I am asking, say I get an order. Often the person gives their name or has their username as their own name. So if I find them on some other social media, can I work with them? what does fiverr terms say about that?

Fiverr's Terms of Service state that all the communication and materials exchange has to go through Fiverr. Working with them outside of Fiverr would be a violation of Fiverr's ToS, and one that could easily get you banned.

• Like 6