Artists: a drawing or a picture for your profile?

whianem

Question

I read here that a professional picture makes you look trustworthy. However, I am a digital artist. Isn't it better to show a selfportrait illustration? I mean, this way you show your face and also your drawing skills. But if almost everyone talks about the importance of a real picture there must be a reason. So, here are my doubts. How was your experience? Have you ever tried to use a drawing for your profile? Share your thoughts, I'm all ears (and eyes)

• Like 10

2 answers to this question

Here is the thing;

In some platforms it might be good to have your self portrait as your picture. But in others, they are not. For examble; it is acceptable in instagram to have a drawing. But its better to have a photo in linkedin.

For the sake of your whole online pressence in different platforms to be easily recognizable and uniformed, go for the photo. A good photo is never wrong. A drawing might have a chance to be unsuitable.

For porftolio;

Your avatar is not the show your artwork capabilities. Your galleries are. In each platform, one way or another you have a gallery to show your quality.

BUT!

This all changes if you are a very well known artist. If thats the case, do whatever you want. Flip your middle finger in the avatar! Some might even like it.

• Like 5
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, whianem said:

However, I am a digital artist. Isn't it better to show a selfportrait illustration?

There are many top-rated sellers and high-performing sellers on the platform who use their own art, avatar, or logo for their profile picture. In your case, it is nice to see your self-portrait illustration.

I read here that a professional picture makes you look trustworthy.

It does! But it isn't the only way to make yourself look trustworthy and credible.

But if almost everyone talks about the importance of a real picture there must be a reason.

This is just one of the ways sellers can help their profile look professional and credible. If you read in the article below, sellers are given a Match Score to determine how relevant they are in search (this can affect how much exposure Fiverr will give your gigs). Gigs that look professional and credible will be seen as more relevant in search:

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/293675-📈-fiverr-simplified-get-matched/

Fiverr want its sellers to be professional and of the highest quality. I've seen many sellers who don't use a picture of themselves, yet their gigs make me want to say "wow!" when I look at them. Their portfolios, videos, gig cards, gig descriptions are all amazing. Regardless of what picture you choose, make sure it's part of your brand and that it leaves a lasting impression on your buyers' minds. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2