What are the cosiest/freakiest winter-y video/board games?

katakatica

I think the title is speaking for itself but I feel like I need to elaborate a bit (as always!) So.. it's getting genuinely cold here and during the week, going out is just hard (yes, I'm complaining about -7 celcius outside. Yes, I'm a baby.) Obviously, that means that I'm spending (even more than usual) time in front of the screen! I'd love to know what you're currently playing - or maybe some recommendations on classics that you think everyone (should) know.

I just finished Celeste (not the Core yet, just the rest of it but will go back today to try and finish that epilogue) so to be honest I'd love to sort of play simialr-ish platformers, but the best recommendation I've gotten so far is Super Meat Boy (of which I wasn't the BIGGEST fan of. Or... I am not YET the biggest fan of. Not sure. I also got to play something I worked on (but... that's not out yet, though I can't wait to spread the word about it because it was so much fun!)

When I think of winter, I want sort of cosy stuff - games that make me feel all fuzzy inside as well. Do you feel the same? Or do you maybe prefer the crazy/spooky winter games? 

I spent the past 3 weeks struggling with Celeste so don't really have any other recs (other than perhaps Wytchwood if I hadn't mentioned that yet) but yeah! I'm curious about what you guys are up to lately!

• Like 12
  • Up 2

Depending on your definition of cozy... I'm going to assume that means sort of slow-paced games you can play while inside a blanket and holding a cup of hot chocolate in one hand. 

I guess I'll recommend Dorfromantik, a "match the tile sides" puzzle game. Cat Goes Fishing, a more 'arcade-y' fishing game (rather than a simulation). Windward, a pirate game which has intermittent combat, but is super zen during the times when you're just in transit sailing. And, I suppose Spellcaster University, a build-your-own-Hogwarts which is a sort of ant farm with a storyline. 

• Like 13

Since I'm not a gamer I don't play any games myself, but I do watch game walk-throughs.

I got curious and typed in "winter horror games" on Youtube, and a decent list came out so I might check those out. Yup, I'm too scared to play those games myself but I do enjoy walk-throughs and reactions because seeing a grown man screaming like a girl trying to escape the zombie snowman is oddly entertaining. 

I....can't be the only one. 

• Like 11

Oh, I wish I could give some great video game recommendations, but it's really been too long since I played anything. I do find it cozy to play Knights of the Old Republic, though. It's the game I replayed the most time, and I think I did play it at Christmas a few years ago. I'll probably end up playing Rocket League with some friends when I visit them for the holidays.

With my family, I like playing the board game Partners. I don't know if it's popular anywhere else, but I doubt you'd be able to find a Danish home that doesn't have it. 

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 8
  • Up 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 2:32 PM, vibronx said:

I'll probably end up playing Rocket League with some friends when I visit them for the holidays.

I play it too from time to time.

For some reason right now I am a lot info Marvel Snap. I don't play mobile games in general, but this one is great in between orders.

• Like 6