large amount of buyers (who aren't buying) from Nigera

hlniner

Question

I am a seller on Fiverr of accent modification lessons. Over the last 2 months I've received messages (daily and more than one per day) from buyers that are new to Fiverr that month and from Nigeria. Their initial message is often something like HI or sometimes a not appropriate greeting. None of them are looking for what I offer. They seem to want to chat or ask for money or a job. I report and block but because of the services I offer I do engage intially in case they legitimately want services. But it is getting very frustrating. This morning alone I've had 5 such people. When I tried to get an answer from support they weren't helpful. Wonder if others have had a similar experience. Thanks! Holly

• Like 6

4 answers to this question

I do not look at where my buyer or potential buyers are from. Nationality does not (and should not, in my opinion!) have anything to do with whether I accept an order or interact further with a person. 

That being said, yes, some people do simply write "Hi" or "Hello" and never follow up if you contact them back asking how you can help them. There's nothing Fiverr can do about that. I'm not sure what you expect customer service to do about people contacting you without breaking rules (i.e., asking for outside contact, scam requests, etc.) I suggest creating a Quick Response to deal with these things and just move on. It only takes a few seconds for each then.

• Like 7
  • Up 1

A person that just asks questions and doesn't buy is a time waster and not a buyer. Sure, there are a few legit buyers that make up their mind and choose someone else. But my rule of thumb is to wait for 3-4 messages to go through, and you can see if the person is a legit buyer or not. 

• Like 7
  • Up 3

Thanks to those who have answered. I did create the quick response after this started to happen a few weeks ago and that has helped. I apologize if my question offended as that was not my intent. I do try to go a message or two with them and they often do deteriorate to inappropriate. They way they come in waves-none for days and then maybe 8-10 in a matter of hours they felt almost bot like which was why I was wondering if there was a way to determine that. I also know that some buyers end up in spam so somehow they have been flagged, and sometimes if I get some during the night by the time I go to respond Fiverr tells me they can no longer be contacted. The concern is that they do affect your response rate stat and if a large number come at a time when responding is difficult that can be a problem. Thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 3
  • Up 1

16 minutes ago, hlniner said:

The concern is that they do affect your response rate stat and if a large number come at a time when responding is difficult that can be a problem.

Maybe if they get banned Fiverr takes into consideration they were spamming and there's no consequences for your stats, but I could be wrong.

• Like 4