Giving a budget as a buyer does not make sense

Commonly in other areas a potential buyer plans a budget but not always. Because we also use Fiverr for gifts or things like that and we just want to see if it's not expensive.  The seller makes a quote or an offer because he is the person who really knows how much a job costs. He also knows better than anyone else what other sellers' prices are like, etc. The buyer then checks to see if the offer fits their budget or expectations and either makes a counter offer, accepts the offer or just doesn't accept it.

Fiverr has another approach to this simple thing that doesn't make sense. The buyer has to tell their budget or the seller asks for it many times. The person with less idea about the price has to first say how much a job costs with the problems it would entail. It would probably be too much or less than expected, and that's not the way anyway. Who calls a plumber and says, "hey, I have 400€ can you fix my toilet for that price?" no one, the plumber has his prices.

Personally I have noticed with delivery many times "almos always" that I have paid more times less than what the job was really worth and other times I have paid maybe too much. 

That's not only bad for the first conversation between seller and buyer, but also a bit disrespectful to the sellers. Sellers need to get paid for their work and not be "forced" to conform to a budget.

• Like 12

This is happening to you because you have a preference for working with sellers who are known for doing services that are "almos always" charging "less than what the job was really worth".

This is my observation going through two pages of your recent reviews for sellers.

Fiverr does not dictate the way sellers conduct their business. However, many sellers from third-world countries offer services at prices far below market rate, and some are desperate for positive reviews. Because they are selling a low price, they are testing your budget to see if it is actually fair and willing to pay for it. If you are a fair gentleman, it is in their favor.

You probably won't have to worry about this if you are dealing with sellers who spell "almost" correctly.

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 12
  • Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 11:03 PM, strategist_ceo said:

This is happening to you because you have a preference for working with sellers who are known for doing services that are "almos always" charging "less than what the job was really worth".

This is my observation going through two pages of your recent reviews for sellers.

Fiverr does not dictate the way sellers conduct their business. However, many sellers from third-world countries offer services at prices far below market rate, and some are desperate for positive reviews. Because they are selling a low price, they are testing your budget to see if it is actually fair and willing to pay for it. If you are a fair gentleman, it is in their favor.

You probably won't have to worry about this if you are dealing with sellers who spell "almost" correctly.

The percentage of sellers on Fiverr from third world countries in the areas in which I have searched for a service is much higher. Therefore it is obvious and more likely that it is a seller from one of those countries performing the service. 
This is something you should know if you are really in the business of making business plans. 
It's not only the sellers. The budget is one of the questions Fiverr asks when submitting a request. I guess Fiverr is "third world" for you too.
On the other hand, yes, there are some spelling mistakes. My main language is Spanish, not English. Apart from that I speak German, Portuguese and despite the occasional mistake that makes you laugh so much, I also speak English.
That you, working as a translator, write precisely that sentence,
"You probably won't have to worry about this if you are dealing with sellers who spell "almost" correctly."

"...and some are desperate for positive reviews"
do you have any proof that this sentence is true or are you talking about yourself?

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, robertogmezgmez said:

The budget is one of the questions Fiverr asks when submitting a request. I guess Fiverr is "third world" for you too.

Fiverr removed buyer requests for good. Nothing good was coming out of it and it was only an add on feature. (The same as briefs right now, it’s still an add on feature and in beta testing, so it might not even stay) 
The main fiverr feature is “gigs” where you put your key words in search and you can immediately see gigs and fixed prices on those gigs precisely so you don’t have to haggle or guess if you paid more than you should’ve. You don’t even have to contact sellers to ask about the price, if the gig description matches your requirements then you can just place an order for the amount that seller set upfront on his gig. 

Edited by mariashtelle1
  • Like 8

On 12/7/2022 at 10:53 PM, robertogmezgmez said:

The buyer has to tell their budget or the seller asks for it many times.

When messaging sellers, Fiverr suggests that you mention your budget, but it's not mandatory.

As for sellers asking for your budget, it really depends on the type of service you need (for example, if you're looking to have a website made, for $20 you can get A, for $80 you can get A and B, and for $500 you get everything with all the bells and whistles). Many sellers will never ask you for your budget because their price is clearly stated on their gig, and you either accept that price, or you look for another seller.

One of the main ideas of Fiverr is that the prices are clearly stated on gigs; you only need to ask for a price if you're looking for a custom offer because none of the gigs and packages are a fit for your needs. And even then, there's rarely need to discuss your budget: you state exactly what you need done, and the seller tells you the price (or asks for clarification if they need more details).

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, catwriter said:

When messaging sellers, Fiverr suggests that you mention your budget, but it's not mandatory.

As for sellers asking for your budget, it really depends on the type of service you need (for example, if you're looking to have a website made, for $20 you can get A, for $80 you can get A and B, and for $500 you get everything with all the bells and whistles). Many sellers will never ask you for your budget because their price is clearly stated on their gig, and you either accept that price, or you look for another seller.

One of the main ideas of Fiverr is that the prices are clearly stated on gigs; you only need to ask for a price if you're looking for a custom offer because none of the gigs and packages are a fit for your needs. And even then, there's rarely need to discuss your budget: you state exactly what you need done, and the seller tells you the price (or asks for clarification if they need more details).

The theory about the gigs and prices is not for buyers as you are describing it. The idea, maybe. The reality is very different. For some services like yours it's maybe easier because you can just charge based on the amount of words. For code it's not always so easy as that. That is a real problem and most sellers write at the top of the gig things like "contact me before ordering". I also had a situation where I ordered something that matched the description, although the seller also wrote "contact before ordering" and the solution was at the end that I had to cancel the order. 

Another bad thing Fiverr is allowing all the time is that many, and I really mean many sellers just use sentences like "Contact me to get an acurate quote" and then they put only a fake low price as a click bait to get the buyiers attention. And this is also allowed here. 

So, as I said. The theory is great, but the reality is very different. 
Just search for python scripts or VBA macros and you will see that Fiverr is far away from your description. 

Another thing is this "Fiverr suggests that you mention your budget, but it's not mandatory." That's my criticism. Fiverr doesn't have to suggest that because it doesn't make any sense. Of course it is not a mandatory, I can also say to the seller that I have no BG and thats all. But thats not how it should work.

30 minutes ago, catwriter said:

I think we are talking about different websites. How many services did you buy on Fiverr?

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, robertogmezgmez said:

And this is also allowed here. 

It is not allowed. Please report the sellers you see do this.

From Fiverr’s Community Standards:

https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/integrity-authenticity

“Misrepresenting Gig elements 

Do not:

• Copy Gig descriptions, packages, and other gig elements from other users.  

• Raise the price of your Gig service in personal messages before or after purchase. Bait-and-switch marketing is not acceptable.

• Have someone else present you in your gig. 

• Post non-original images or images you do not have the right to use in your Gig.

• Do not post non-original videos or videos that you do not have the right to use in your Gig profile. 

• Deliver non-original work or send non-original work samples.“

13 minutes ago, robertogmezgmez said:

I think we are talking about different websites. How many services did you buy on Fiverr?

I have bought more than 200 gigs on Fiverr. In the beginning, I was hiring cheap sellers and was often asked my budget. Like you, I don’t like it. However, I have started being more thorough in my search and it’s been a long time since I’ve been asked that by sellers. 
(Cheap sellers can be good… you just have to find the gems.)

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, vibronx said:

It is not allowed. Please report the sellers you see do this.

From Fiverr’s Community Standards:

https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/integrity-authenticity

“Misrepresenting Gig elements 

Do not:

• Copy Gig descriptions, packages, and other gig elements from other users.  

• Raise the price of your Gig service in personal messages before or after purchase. Bait-and-switch marketing is not acceptable.

• Have someone else present you in your gig. 

• Post non-original images or images you do not have the right to use in your Gig.

• Do not post non-original videos or videos that you do not have the right to use in your Gig profile. 

• Deliver non-original work or send non-original work samples.“

I have bought more than 200 gigs on Fiverr. In the beginning, I was hiring cheap sellers and was often asked my budget. Like you, I don’t like it. However, I have started being more thorough in my search and it’s been a long time since I’ve been asked that by sellers. 
(Cheap sellers can be good… you just have to find the gems.)

I also ordered a design for a tattoo and found out that the seller was stealing photos from the internet to make the "designs". Fiverr told me I was right, I got my money back and the seller gig is still there and selling tattoo designs. Again. The theory is very nice. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, robertogmezgmez said:

And for the professional seller from Australia.
Text "501c". In the image "503".

What he wrote abou other sellers.
"You probably won't have to worry about this if you are dealing with sellers who spell "almost" correctly."

I imagine he has the rights to the image he uses for the gig or is it a stock image, right?

I don't call myself a professional. I am just a normal level 2.

Great catch on the 503. I paid $5 for this gig image, and it's true I didn't notice it.

I will not be responding to inflammatory comments. The fact remains, however, that your complaint is only possible with a specific group of sellers on Fiverr.

9 hours ago, robertogmezgmez said:

"...and some are desperate for positive reviews"
do you have any proof that this sentence is true or are you talking about yourself?

This is true for all new sellers, including myself. I have worked with buyers that I won't work with anymore now that I am much more confident about what I am doing.

makes it quite clear that your problem is that you are such a lousy professional that you have to come to Fiverr to try to compete with people who live in third world countries because in Australia you are worthless.

I have not mentioned anything about the quality of work that comes from sellers who are from third world countries, many of whom do good work. My point is simply that your concern is only possible because you are dealing exclusively with sellers who sell at rates far below fair. 

Many sellers here make more than they would in a full-time job, and I don't find it shameful to do honest work anywhere.

When you deal with sellers who communicate effectively, you won't have to worry about the "unclear budget" because these sellers will give you a clear offer. Yet you chose to work with those specific sellers who doesn't, and you are whining about it. There is a clear fix.

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, robertogmezgmez said:

Does making more purchases means that who can speak with authority on the subject? I have made 61 purchases and am not stingy with my reviews (surely more than just ten).

Have you purchased more services than me to say you know what you are talking about? It seems to me you sure think that way when you question another person's opinion.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, robertogmezgmez said:

How many services did you buy on Fiverr?

None so far. I do have over 1,800 sales, though, and I have never asked anyone for their budget.

I understand that with coding it can be trickier to determine the price in advance, but is it really impossible to tell a seller "I need x, y, and z", and then ask them how much it would cost?

10 hours ago, robertogmezgmez said:

Another bad thing Fiverr is allowing all the time is that many, and I really mean many sellers just use sentences like "Contact me to get an acurate quote" and then they put only a fake low price as a click bait to get the buyiers attention. And this is also allowed here. 

Bait and switch is a violation of Fiverr's Terms of Service.

• Like 6
  • Up 1