What is ideal for you on a platform and why Fiverr is the best one?

carloscaedo

Hi Guys,

I'm quite new on Fiverr however I had experience working for other freelancer platforms, and while I have had mixed experiences with some platforms I was highly recommended to use Fiverr. If you could guide me in this new adventure, I would like to know, What is the best asset that Fiverr has vs the other platforms?

What platforms have you used other than Fiverr?

What do you guys like and dislike?

Wat is the ideal for you on a platform?

Thank you so much and excited to begin this journey!

• Like 8

Hi @carloscaedo! Welcome to Fiverr and the forum!

53 minutes ago, carloscaedo said:

What platforms have you used other than Fiverr?

None. I did sign up for others but I really don't like bidding on projects. I also got rejected by one platform and couldn't create an account (probably because I picked an oversaturated category). So I now I only get work through Fiverr and my personal website.

What do you guys like and dislike?

I like that I didn't have to give myself a professional title on Fiverr. I do a lot of different things (I have 7 gigs in 7 different categories) so it can be hard to define myself in one title. I do like that I could offer so many services in so many different categories.

I also like that I don't have to bid on projects or do any other marketing than set up my gigs.

The only thing that I didn't like was how lonely and scared I felt when I first got started. I was afraid of breaking Fiverr ToS. I didn't want to turn down orders. I couldn't find Customer Service (so I thought they were pro-buyer, which isn't true at all). I was never a freelancer until I started on Fiverr, so I felt lonely until I found the forum.

Wat is the ideal for you on a platform?

What is the best asset that Fiverr has vs the other platforms?

I find this a great platform to do business on. Fiverr is the only platform that allowed me to replace my day job.

I like how Fiverr is constantly rolling out new features to help sellers out. Fiverr also makes it easy to see the health of my business. Even though customer service can take a while to respond, they have always helped me with my buyer issues. Also, through the forum, I have met Fiverr staffers, product development, and management and they have all been wonderful to work with and care a lot about what sellers have to say. 

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 12
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The best parts:

1. No bidding/not having to spend a lot of time sending proposals to maybe get an order. Buyers come to me directly.

2. No haggling (goes together with not having to bid on jobs and outbid others). Prices are right there on my gigs, and while some buyers try to get a discount, it's easy to refuse (because the prices are clearly visible already, so why are they even contacting me if the prices are too high for them?). I lose some potential buyers that way, but they're the ones I wouldn't want to work with anyway.

• Like 9
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't tried any other platform, so I can only comment about Fiber:

As a seller:

Pros:

• No bidding. Buyers come directly to you.
  • Many tools to stand out in the marketplace.
  • Communication is text-based (I know there are exceptions) which I prefer as it's the most time efficient.
  • Communication and payments take place within the Fiverr platform which makes you safer from scams.
  • Cool badges and stars (yes, I like shiny things).
  • Some great people to hang out with on the forum

Cons:

• The Response Rate/Response Time metric. I hate it. It's an unhealthy thing to be measured on. I know why they measure us on it and it makes sense, but it has gotten tiresome for me to have to respond quickly to any initial messages no matter where I am or what I'm doing.
  • Spam, spam, spam. As a translator, I receive an enormous amount of spam. And I have to respond to it.
  • Direct orders - I know some Seller Plus members can disable that now, but it should really be rolled out to everyone. I know Fiverr wants to be the Amazon of freelance marketplaces, but direct orders have really made me curse loudly a couple of times as you can't screen the buyer or their files beforehand. Now you might have to suddenly plan your schedule around a massive order that you didn't plan on. I have mitigated this by raising the price of my faster delivery options to something outrageous, but I truly wish direct orders didn't exist.
  • Competitors who cheat and scam.
  • Reviews of buyers - buyers can punish us with a negative private review if we give them a negative public review. You have to be very brave to give your buyer a negative review.

As a buyer:

Pros:

• Lots of options to choose from!
  • Great quality for great prices.
  • Most sellers are very nice and always give it their all.

Cons:

• If you're looking for something very specific, you might not be able to find it--or you might have to give a chance to someone you normally wouldn't. Sometimes that turns into wasted money.
  • You have no assurance that sellers won't just abandon your order in the middle without even communicating it to you. (Do not give large or complex orders to new sellers, is what I've learned)
  • Lots of scammers - you have to be adept at identifying stolen art and content before browsing new sellers.
  • Some sellers are very unprofessional - they will beg you for feedback or demand that you check their delivered files right away, not caring what you might be doing. It's all about them.
  • If you give a seller bad feedback, they might try to find you on social media.
  • Bait and switch - some sellers will have a really low price on their gig but when you actually contact them about something that is well within what is offered in one of their packages, the price suddenly gets 50 times higher.
Edited by vibronx
  • Like 7
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

welcome! Fiverr is an impressive service and probably the most important platform for remote working and freelancing. Its importance will also change the future of jobs marketplace as we know it, since remote working will become more and more solid month after month.

Edited by manuelmarino
  • Like 3