Is it a good strategy to start cheap

belukha

I provide a service requiring approximately forty hours of my time. I previously charged $180 for this service, which I believe was necessary for anyone to grow in this platform and gain some reviews for potential buyers to buy from you at higher fees in the future. 

I was one of the earliest subscriber to plus at that time, and the mentor asked me to further reduce my price to approximately $30. He directed me to a URL of an "established" seller from a third world country and pointed out that I am competing with sellers like that... Poor advice and so I unsubscribed. 

Assuming an absence of racism, I will assume that he also believes that low prices are effective for first gaining reviews and making your account appear trustworthy.

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 7

I will always recommend starting cheap in order to get reviews. Otherwise, it can be difficult for buyers to justify choosing you over someone with more experience on the platform. You can always raise your prices later. I started out working for approximately $0.5-$2 an hour. Now I get around $60 an hour.

5 minutes ago, strategist_ceo said:

I was one of the earliest subscriber to plus at that time, and the mentor asked me to further reduce my price to approximately $30. He directed me to a URL of an "established" seller from a third world country and pointed out that I am competing with sellers like that... Poor advice and so I unsubscribed. 

That is indeed horrible advice!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:29 AM, sunysuny998 said:

No offend but nowadays cheap pricing doesn't attract quality/genuine buyer at all. They think the service will be worst or the seller isn't professional or not experienced enough. What should be the tips for these situations.

p.s. most of the time I get spam massages but not genuine buyer. is it for cheap pricing? 

Must be some other reason. Cheap doesn't mean low quality. First impressive is probably reviews.

A genuine buyer always round up whole fiverr and chooses best match (with respect to quality vs quantity vs price etc).

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, vibronx said:

I will always recommend starting cheap in order to get reviews.

I agree, sadly in my case there are a lot of illustrators/artists on the platform, it's so difficult to get an order for me right now. I think I keep the prices acceptable at the moment but I'm scared I'll attract "bad" buyers if i reduce it more than this...

20 minutes ago, strategist_ceo said:

I provide a service requiring approximately forty hours of my time. I previously charged $180 for this service,

It is so much better for sellers to know the worth of their work but some people are unfortunately selling so much cheaper than their work's worth on the platform, probably to have more orders at the beginning. But in my opinion they got lost in all those $5 gigs. 

• Like 5

From what I read before joining, the recomendation was starting cheap, yes, and increase prices little by little. I don't know if that's best, but it seems it's something common in Fiverr, like some kind of unspoken rule. 

In my case, my first gig is something easy. This way I feel fair charging a lower price for this service.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, whianem said:

From what I read before joining, the recomendation was starting cheap, yes, and increase prices little by little. I don't know if that's best, but it seems it's something common in Fiverr, like some kind of unspoken rule. 

In my case, my first gig is something easy. This way I feel fair charging a lower price for this service.

Well, if it's working for you, then it's great! But you should be careful about these👇 kind of buyers who will lower your gig rank (or something like that)

On 12/2/2022 at 9:07 PM, sunboatrecords said:

$5 gig prices often attract horrible buyers that are looking to take advantage of someone and have no regard for you as a person or professional.

I hope soon you'll start getting the real worth of your art 🌸

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, belukha said:
On 12/2/2022 at 8:07 PM, sunboatrecords said:

$5 gig prices often attract horrible buyers that are looking to take advantage of someone and have no regard for you as a person or professional.

Thanks for the good energy, but I am a well-established seller on Fiverr! I suppose you didn't check my profile.

Now, if you wish me to start pocketing millions from music royalties while chilling in Rio de Janeiro, that is also welcome!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, belukha said:

Well, if it's working for you, then it's great! But you should be careful about these👇 kind of buyers who will lower your gig rank (or something like that)

Ugh, that's a bit scary though I'm afraid you are right. By now, I can only cross my fingers. Thanks a lot for your help 😁

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

You must have downloaded this picture from my personal blog.

It's actually a random picture. Such a coincidence!   

3 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

Here you can see me on the other side, lifting my hands up in the sky in gratitude.

And me lifting my hands up in the sky, hoping to get your blessings. I want to be an established seller too.

3 hours ago, whianem said:

my first gig is something easy

You might consider diversifying your offerings by offering a drawing of a real person gig. I imagine that such an service would sell much better.

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sunboatrecords said:

Thanks for the good energy, but I am a well-established seller on Fiverr! I suppose you didn't check my profile.

Now, if you wish me to start pocketing millions from music royalties while chilling in Rio de Janeiro, that is also welcome!

😂 sorry, I meant to write it to user whianem

• Like 4

5 hours ago, belukha said:

😂 sorry, I meant to write it to user whianem

It is alright!

I just responded in this way to make sure that you are very careful with checking details.

Making it on Fiverr is very difficult and requires us to be on top of our game day in and day out. We cannot afford to drop the ball for a single day.

I wish you the best of luck on this journey! I am sure that you are going to do great as you are seeking advice from the very beginning.

• Like 4

On 12/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, strategist_ceo said:

I was one of the earliest subscriber to plus at that time, and the mentor asked me to further reduce my price to approximately $30

A plus seller with $30 prices? What a joke! Even if the seller was from a third world country, there's no reason anyone subscribed to plus should charge such a low amount.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, strategist_ceo said:

Poor advice and so I unsubscribed. 

So, plus sellers have mentors? I didn't know that. But it's indeed poor advice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moonstaredits said:

there's no reason anyone subscribed to plus should charge such a low amount.

The main advantage of being a Seller Plus seller is the analytic(s) and some of the functions available to you. You won't be "perceived" better by the algorithm (I think) or to the buyers... You may have confused "Pro" with "Plus."

Top-rated sellers and Pro sellers are perceived to be more prestigious than a Level Two seller like myself. However, many Level Two sellers have been quite successful. In fact, I don't feel too bad for myself for the past few months as a Level Two seller. :classic_cool:

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, strategist_ceo said:

You may have confused "Pro" with "Plus."

No, I didn't. My point was, if they're paying for a subscription to have some more advantages common sellers don't have, why they should charge such a low amount for each gig? Even for a third world country seller it doesn't makes sense. If they don't get any projects in a month, then they will still be paying the subscription but not earning anything.

Edited by moonstaredits
  • Like 3

So:

7 minutes ago, moonstaredits said:

if they're paying for a subscription to have some more advantages

My thoughts:

1 hour ago, strategist_ceo said:

The main advantage of being a Seller Plus seller is the analytic(s) and some of the functions available to you. You won't be "perceived" better by the algorithm (I think) or to the buyers.

The buyers will not know you are enrolled in the "plus" program. 

The plus is useful to sellers who do not spend much time reading the forum and the additional analytics is valuable to optimize the gigs. The coupons will help sellers close sales by stimulating "impulse purchase" (though I will say it's limited and like subscription offers, is going to be opportunistic).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, strategist_ceo said:

The buyers will not know you are enrolled in the "plus" program.

That was not my point.

My point was it's poor advice to tell you to charge less when you're already paying a subscription. And it's even more nonsensical to charge little while still paying for a subscription to Fiverr. 

Edited by moonstaredits
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, strategist_ceo said:

Top-rated sellers and Pro sellers are perceived to be more prestigious than a Level Two seller like myself. However, many Level Two sellers have been quite successful. In fact, I don't feel too bad for myself for the past few months as a Level Two seller. :classic_cool:

Pro status can either make or break an account. We have a thread about that in the seller plus section of the forum. It also comes with a mandatory $100 dollar price tag for the gigs. There are some exceptions for a $70 price tag.

This is why I have been reluctant to apply for it. It doesn't make much sense for technical categories like mine. The client can get similar quality of service at a fraction of the price. I may work with my success manager to create a new pro gig in the future, for marketing purposes.

In any case, I would rather be a level 2 seller and able to make a living as I am, than to have a Pro account with 30 reviews parked somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

• 1 month later...