Likelihood of a Fiverr Business account being a scammer?

peppermintcyani

Question

So I recently got this dropped into my inbox:

Hi! I saw and shortlisted your PROFILE …. and am very interested in working with you We are currently searching for a freelancer that is available and the best fit for project, skills, experience and communication wise. With that, kindly record a quick 30 secs voice note like so here on Vocaroo: https://vocaroo.com/ State your availability and experience with regards to this type of work, and how you prefer to work that will just help me make the final decision on gig purchases. After recording, please send me the voice note link here on Fiverr when complete. Thanks so much, I look forward to working with you soon.

And while it doesn't immediately resemble other scam messages I received before it feels a bit off? Grammar is a bit poor, it was obviously copy-pasted from a template and sent en-masse. I've since contacted the person and they've taken convo off Fiverr to s***e and again requested I use vocaroo.

Old Fiverr account. Couple of reviews from past jobs with freelancers (mostly Indian IT related tho)

My question: are there any scams of people stealing your identity and using your voice with these vocaroo recordings? I understand they could just really be busy (and be a virtual assistant gathering prospects for an actual company) but whenever I ask for details about the company or project they deflect or talk about it in vague terms. 

• Like 3

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, peppermintcyani said:

I've since contacted the person and they've taken convo off Fiverr

That's a Terms of Service violation. Communication has to go through Fiverr.

2 hours ago, peppermintcyani said:

are there any scams of people stealing your identity and using your voice with these vocaroo recordings?

I haven't heard of identity theft via vocaroo, but it could be a middleman who doesn't want their clients to know that they're outsourcing their work to a Fiverr seller (it would also explain why they don't want you to know anything about the company, so you couldn't contact them).

• Like 6

There are many newbie Seller disguise as USA Seller. 

They usually start chat with " Hi Sir"... lol.... check mate. (Mostly from these two country)

and i saw from Facebook Page, people trying to sell their account because they didn't want to work as freelancer again.

So.., AS BUYER/SELLER, try to communicate and learn about their skill/requirement first.

If they try to avoid questions/vaque , better to look another SELLER, 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, catwriter said:

That's a Terms of Service violation. Communication has to go through Fiverr.

I haven't heard of identity theft via vocaroo, but it could be a middleman who doesn't want their clients to know that they're outsourcing their work to a Fiverr seller (it would also explain why they don't want you to know anything about the company, so you couldn't contact them).

Yeah I know. It's why I usually insta-block other scam messages as the red flags are easy to spot. This one was unusual since the person was at least somewhat believable but I'm really wary of giving out my voice in a recording like that (because I know how easy it is to make vocal deepfakes now!).

The insight about them possibly being a middleman was something I didn't consider as a possibility though. Their story is that "there's too many applicants for interviews" but I wasn't the one who applied in the first place? They were the ones who approached and solicited lol. In either case, I'm playing it safe and just ghosting. Thanks for the insight!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, peppermintcyani said:

Their story is that "there's too many applicants for interviews" but I wasn't the one who applied in the first place?

Oh, one of those who are trying too hard to look like a serious buyer. It's like when someone contacts me about my services, lists a bunch of things that they need (and I offer maybe one of them), and asks "How can you help us?" as if I was at a job interview...except that I've never applied for a job at their company.

1 hour ago, peppermintcyani said:

In either case, I'm playing it safe

I'd play it safe, too. It's likely to be a scammer trying to get you to work for free, anyway.

• Like 5