Mental health

dmc_art

This is a subject that I see everyone is avoiding to speak of, but I see it is extremely important for both users of this platform, and the platform itself.

Some may throw rocks at me for this, but this issue has to be addressed and there is no other way for me to speak about this except to be blunt, so I'll just be straight forward:

There are loads of mentally unstable, ill-minded and mentally retarded people. Yes I used that word because there's no other word to describe it.

When a seller of this kind appears, the system itself will deal with it as those sellers will get bad reviews, which will lead to zero orders- thus them slowly disappearing.

But what when a buyer is mentally ill? I would say mentally challenged, but it is the sellers working with such buyers that are being challenged.

Such buyers can do great harm to the seller - not just by stroking the nerves of the seller, but also on the seller rating. I know this platform is opened for everyone, and there is no way to evaluate the mental health of the buyers, but what if a seller is facing such buyer and needs to cancel their order? The cancelation policy doesn't have anything even similar to "this person is mentally ill" and I understand that putting such option for both sellers and buyers might get someone offended (we live in an age of "i'm offended by the truth")

I would lie if I say I rarely stumble upon such buyers as it seems that every third client I have has mental issues. This makes my work extremely difficult and I'm even thinking of leaving Fiverr for good just because of this. I used to work on Upwork and I never ever faced anything like this.

What is your experience with this? I see no solution, but maybe someone has an idea?

• Like 30

37 minutes ago, dmc_art said:

The cancelation policy doesn't have anything even similar to "this person is mentally ill" and I understand that putting such option for both sellers and buyers might get someone offended (we live in an age of "i'm offended by the truth")

Who would make such a judgement? A psychiatrist? In any case, it is against the ToS to reject clients based on WHO they are, but not on how they treat you.

39 minutes ago, dmc_art said:

I would lie if I say I rarely stumble upon such buyers as it seems that every third client I have has mental issues.

I haven't experienced anything like this. I have worked with a few abysmal clients, but that was it. 

Could it be your niche? Could it be something else?

41 minutes ago, dmc_art said:

Such buyers can do great harm to the seller

We all know the shortcomings of the 5-star culture. We also know how saturated the market became since there is no vetting process for sellers or a subscription plan. But, we have to play by the rules.

43 minutes ago, dmc_art said:

I used to work on Upwork and I never ever faced anything like this.

If you had a good time there, why stress? Perhaps, it is time to look into other options if you think that you cannot shift your current situation here.

I wish you good luck in whatever you do.

Since you asked the community. I have to tell you that my experience has been nothing like that.

I love Fiverr, and I am very grateful for the opportunities that it has given me!

• Like 24
  • Up 2

22 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

Who would make such a judgement? A psychiatrist? In any case, it is against the ToS to reject clients based on WHO they are, but not on how they treat you.

I haven't experienced anything like this. I have worked with a few abysmal clients, but that was it. 

Could it be your niche? Could it be something else?

We all know the shortcomings of the 5-star culture. We also know how saturated the market became since there is no vetting process for sellers or a subscription plan. But, we have to play by the rules.

If you had a good time there, why stress? Perhaps, it is time to look into other options if you think that you cannot shift your current situation here.

I wish you good luck in whatever you do.

Since you asked the community. I have to tell you that my experience has been nothing like that.

I love Fiverr, and I am very grateful for the opportunities that it has given me!

One does not need to be psychiatrist to recognize madness and basketcases. Maybe you're right, maybe it is my niche. It's not about 5 star rating, but one mad fool may cancel my order and my stats will go down. Thanks for wishing me good luck mate, you too - and I'm glad that you haven't faced anything like this

• Like 15

1 hour ago, dmc_art said:

What is your experience with this?

I've never had a buyer I'd call mentally ill, and I've been here since mid-2014.

Sure, there were buyers who tried to squeeze as much work out of me as they could for as little as they could. There were buyers who attempted emotional manipulation. But there were none I thought belonged in a closed-type hospital.

• Like 18

And there we go... Well, I guess sunboatrecords was right - it is about the niche. In the category Lifestyle-Astrology & Psychics, all we can see is witches, wizards, warlock and other fairytale mystics offering curse removal, love spells etc to mentally unstable and deluded buyers. Fiverr is ok with it as long as it profits out of the scams. It's just that this past 2 months were a living hell for me - maybe it's just a bad period with such clients, who knows...

And yeah catwriteryou'd never call them mentally ill because you're polite, but, how sane are they? 

Edited by dmc_art
mentioning catwriter
  • Like 14

So what you're saying is.....

You're hanging out in crazy corner and wondering why people are crazy?

I'm a graphic designer and I mentioned it as an example. If you have anything to say about the topic, alright, but playing smart, Andy? Your face with the glasses says you're smart and mature, unlike your behavior.

Edited by dmc_art
  • Like 11
  • Confused 3

tell us more about this one in three rate you've got as I'm wondering if it's a demographic, marketing and positioning corner you've gotten yourself into, and could possibly get out of. 

Is hand drawing attracting a certain type of buyer? I don't imagine it's going to bring in many big brand buyers so maybe yes, the world is full of idiots, and maybe it always has been but it's amplified by technology, and maybe sidestepping towards a better demographic profile is the thing to consider if doing so can put you in contact with more sane people

That'll be easier to do than trying to fix all the broken souls on this planet. 

Yeah, thanks for this comment Andy - it's far better than the previous 🙂 

" I'm wondering if it's a demographic?" - This guy was German, so... I don't think demographics play much of a role, lunatics are everywhere, and no - no one can fix all the broken souls. It is an individual job that everyone needs to work on. Life's ultimate goal is liberation and independence - all the rest is irrelevant.

Well, a pure example of this brain damaged client:

- wanted an aesthetic continuous line tattoo design of a couple holding hands for him and his wife

- would not accept any custom offer nor place an order by himself until I provide a sketch (I mean, I don't drink petrol nor I'm born yesterday - the sketch is basically the design, so I refused)

- after agreeing to send him an offer, he vanished for 4 days, then he appeared - accepted it, and after just 3-4 hours this guy is asking me am I done

- I had 7 orders in queue, so it took me some days to do it. Meanwhile this guy was messaging me every single day to ask am I done and can I show him my work

- finally I deliver my work, this guy instantly comes online and shouts with CAPSLOCK how that's not what he ordered, it's not what they imagined, how his wife is crying, this is unacceptable etc (yeah, his wife shares the same brain damage. They are a matching couple as saucepan and lid)

- he sends me a reference image of a tattoo (doubt it was a real tattoo - extremely small world map can't be tattooed, it's impossible) that is in a completely different style. It was geometric, not aesthetic continuous line

- this guy is playing the card "bad translation" as he's german, but his english was excellent

- If I could cancel it immediately, I would, but I can't even imagine what Fiverr's CS would think of me if I said that this guy is completely nuts. I bet "Dimethyl is a customer friendly and customer oriented seller" wouldn't be their thought, and that cancelation would affect my stats. I had to go along with this basketcase even though he thinks I have the brain of a newborn kid

- after a long talk, I agreed to make a new design for them in a completely different style. It was a world map, ring into ring, and some smaller details. He says "we want it to be geometric style mixed with filigree"

- after some days I deliver a design that has no filigree, because it was obvious they have no idea what they want, I just went straight geometric

- he asks for a revision - to put the rings up etc, and to add the ABC islands on the map. If you don't know what ABC islands are, I get you - they're not visible on the map (ultra small)

- in each delivery I was mentioning that the designs are heavily detailed (by their own choice) and tattooing this on a small scale isn't possible. Now, after this ABC islands add-up delivery, I told him that if he wants those to be visible he needs to tattoo this on his entire back

- again, revision, to make things even smaller and decrease the chances of a tattoo artist to be able to tattoo the design, I kept repeating myself, this guy insists

- finally, he's satisfied and accepts the delivery, and I would block him immediately as @psykkopatte said, but once they get in the tattoo studio and the artist sees the design, he'll tell them that tattooing this is not possible. He will return here on Fiverr, open a god damn ticket, and CS as they are - will take my money back and refund him, decrease my stats etc.

So, basically for a ridiculous price for a esthetic continuous line tattoo design, he got an extremely detailed geometric design. 

Want another case? I have loads of them.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Woah, this was quite an interesting thread to read on a Saturday morning!  *sips coffee 

It's not a mental problem but I've dealt with plenty of st*pid people here. Yup, I said it, stup*d. (Will I get in trouble for this?)
If people simply refuse to listen/read/think on their own/respect the rules/snaps back when someone points out an obvious mistake, that's dumb. 

So, whether it's online or not, I have met people whom I will label as b@t sh*t crazy, or having some problems for sure, in all seriousness. This was a few years ago but I had this person who contacted me for an order, but it felt like I was dealing with someone who was extremely unstable from the start.
The way this person's emotions switched back and forth was like Jekyll and Hyde, and at one point he actually admitted he was having "problems."

I politely messaged him saying that I cannot work with him ( thank god I did all the messaging before he placed an order, good thing that I am the type of buyer who asks tons of questions before getting started), I got a very angry message filled with F bombs and somewhat threatening words, I blocked/reported him.

I can only hope that he's gotten the help he needed.

• Like 18

19 hours ago, dmc_art said:

it seems that every third client I have has mental issues.

5,000 orders in I have never had a mentally ill buyer. If 33% of yours are, perhaps you are the problem?

Tears For Fears said it best...

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 14
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, dmc_art said:

And yeah catwriteryou'd never call them mentally ill because you're polite, but, how sane are they? 

I don't remember ever encountering someone insane. Manipulative, yes. Ignorant, yes. Totally clueless, too (for example, if you want me to write about your company, it makes sense to tell me at least something about your company, and yet, some buyers just couldn't understand that). Not knowing or not being able to decide what they want, changing requirements, wanting me to do additional work for free... Yes to all of that. But as unpleasant as those interactions were, and as happy as I was to block some of those buyers and tell to others "I'm sorry, but I no longer offer that service", I don't think that any of them were insane. Some of them were definitely not good people, while others had an IQ that barely exceeded their shoe size, but they were not insane. They were just people who made my anxiety worse and made me want to get rid of them ASAP.

• Like 16

6 hours ago, newsmike said:

5,000 orders in I have never had a mentally ill buyer. If 33% of yours are, perhaps you are the problem?

Tears For Fears said it best.

Wish I was the problem here. It's just this past couple of months with clients like this. Great song, but you missed me when passing the ball on this one

• Like 11

16 hours ago, newsmike said:

Tears For Fears said it best...

Sorry mike, not all of us can have a recording voice and be blessed with high paying clients like you.  More than half of us are trying to make some extra money here to feed our families and put food on the table.  Perhaps you have enough $ , please do not judge those of us trying to make some d sense of this BUYER BS that we Constantly run into.  I haven't heard or seen one decent buyer for a few months. They have ALL been squirrelly.  And that is 💯 percent of them. So you think it is me? Well , I digress...we are ALL On this Round Planet trying to make it day by day. You shouldn't judge any of sellers for speaking truth.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, elleo1 said:

Sorry mike, not all of us can have a recording voice and be blessed with high paying clients like you.  More than half of us are trying to make some extra money here to feed our families and put food on the table.  Perhaps you have enough $ , please do not judge those of us trying to make some d sense of this BUYER BS that we Constantly run into.  I haven't heard or seen one decent buyer for a few months. They have ALL been squirrelly.  And that is 💯 percent of them. So you think it is me? Well , I digress...we are ALL On this Round Planet trying to make it day by day. You shouldn't judge any of sellers for speaking truth.  

Your response is largely off target. My success has nothing to do with the discussion. The simple fact is that if you feel as if a full 33% of the people you interact with in a business situation are "mentally ill", as opposed to being demanding, or picky, but literally "mentally ill", then you must look inward at what you are bringing to the party. Again, we all get the occasional difficult buyer, and I've had a 2 or 3 wackos out of 5,000 buyers. But if you consider more than 3 of every 10 people you meet "mentally ill" then they must be reacting to something you are doing that is very, seriously wrong. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 16

23 hours ago, newsmike said:

5,000 orders in I have never had a mentally ill buyer.

I have had about half that number of orders. However, I have had one buyer that I did consider to have a mental health issue. I worked with her once, and she was so strange that I blocked her.

Then two years later, she reappeared and placed an order under a new name. After we began working together, she disclosed who she was and said she had quit Fiverr but signed up again. I vowed to remain professional and get through whatever she had to throw my way.

I delivered her order, and then the same pattern of behavior began. She would tell me what "brilliant" work I had done in one sentence and then say something negative in the next. For instance, "I know you can do better work; your heart must not be in your work. I am very disappointed in you."  and on and on. I felt like a child being scolded by her mum. But I will not get into all the details of dealing with her.

Finally, she completed the order and left a review. I cannot even remember what it was, and I only remember breathing a sigh of relief and blocking her. Then I got this message from Fiverr CS.

1367602973_Screenshot2022-11-26at6_20_36PM.thumb.png.0dea06faf32fdfab1819f6d51f09ae3a.png

I immediately contacted my Seller Success Manager, who said not to worry, and he said he would handle it.  I immediately contacted my Seller Success Manager, who said not to worry, and he said he would handle it.

In hopes of CS making me get in touch with her, the buyer wrote again to CS, saying she could not download the files and wanted me to contact her to redeliver them.The buyer wrote again to CS, saying she could not download the files and wanted me to contact her to redeliver them.

CS had me send the files to them, and they delivered them to the buyer. After two years, I have yet to hear from the buyer again, but I still dread finding an order from her again. But I will cancel immediately this time and deal with the consequences later.

So out of roughly 2,500 orders, only one of them had me wondering about her sanity, which is about .00004% if I have done my math correctly.

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 12
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, newsmike said:

then you must look inward at what you are bringing to the party. ...then they must be reacting to something you are doing that is very, seriously wrong. 

I would agree with that! Most of the bad buyers I've experienced really were that way because I allowed them to think that they could treat me that way. I'm not saying that's true for everyone, but I'm usually the cause of most of the grief I experience with my buyers.

4 hours ago, vickiespencer said:

Then I got this message from Fiverr CS.

That's so scary, @vickiespencer!!! I would've fainted at that point. I'm so glad you had a Success Manager to take care of that issue. I really hope she doesn't create a third account to place another order!

• Like 12

7 hours ago, damooch916 said:

”The truth,” is that failure is a brand.

Brilliant.  As usual, @damooch916 pulls no punches. It was this sort of jealousy driven, refusal to work hard and take the hard knocks, entitlement that led me to largely stop offering advice to the noobs. After about 6 weeks off, I tried again, and was reminded that most who post do not want to improve, they actually just want to complain and be rewarded with a cookie, just like at Grandma's house.  

Most often my response to such entitled whining is "Bug off, strong letter to follow."   Thanks @damooch916 for providing that follow up. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 10
  • Haha 3

Oh wow. this is some fun thread! 

Well, idk if its my niche but honestly speaking i have had some of the best buyers ever! They even ask me about my health, exams and stuff. love it 😄

anyways, once i did actually run into a buyer i'd call a dumbo. someone who doesn't like appreciating anyone fully! she loved pin pointing something bad sometimes something that wasn't even an issue. 

lol okay so, she placed an order i did the work! she loved it that's what she said in the dms. but her message was followed by "I think the stores aren't available in your country that's why you couldn't add *some certain stuff* in the article." 

to be exact i had informed her about the issue before she placed the order and she confirmed that it was okay because i couldn't do anything about it as the sites wouldn't show the same to me as they did to her. 

anyways she left a 4.3 rating after calling it brilliant. i blocked the buyer instantly. 😛 and was paranoid for quite a while. it scared me so much at that time because i was completely new to Fiverr and oh well! 

i love the buyers i have now! but she did gave me a big lesson! i can say the buyer was mentally challenged but not ill. 

• Like 9

Like most people I have to say that in the main my customers are pretty sane!  That being said, I was on a video call with a client before lockdown who wanted to build a shop for her 'customised' products. On first impressions when I met this little old granny in her knitted cardigan, I thought this will be a lovely quick website.  She must have been in her 80s and was really well spoken 

However, when she explained that the products she wanted to sell were stuffed animals in s exual positions with other animals, my face quickly became the same colour of one of her spreadeagled squirrels.  Our 30 minute call had her toddling off screen and coming back with examples of each 'creation' she had made with a massive smile on her face. I think by the time we had finished we had pretty much covered off every page of the Karma Sutra! 

It was safe to say that in all of my times as a web designer I have never been so lost for words or surprised by a customer that appeared initially shy and introverted.  

Slightly off topic, but it taught me that not all customers are the same, and sometimes a 'little crazy' makes the job fun and unique.

I'm gutted the site didn't get off the ground as I'm sure she would have made a killing (Sorry for the pun). But maybe she just ran out of roadkill?

Happy Sunday everyone! 

Edited by breals
  • Like 5
  • Haha 10

13 minutes ago, breals said:

She must have been in her 80s... However, when she explained that the products she wanted to sell were stuffed animals in s exual positions with other animals, my face quickly became the same colour of one of her spreadeagled squirrels.

Nancy Pelosi?

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

On 11/27/2022 at 4:07 AM, damooch916 said:

Do yourself a favor and steal this post before it gets flagged for “having the audacity to speak like an adult, saying what you need to hear and talking like we did in 2016.”

I already copy and pasted it to a Word doc for future reference.

When the successful speak, hush your mouth and do as you’re told. Because we’re more talented than you - and we know how to make that translate into sales. 

1606560357_Screenshot2022-11-27at12_20_44PM.png.0349b68488975867084cf29ddbe5a88f.png

On 11/27/2022 at 11:38 AM, newsmike said:

It was this sort of jealousy driven, refusal to work hard and take the hard knocks, entitlement that led me to largely stop offering advice to the noobs.

Like @newsmike, I, too, have given advice to newies, only to look at their profile/gigs and find they have not changed them at all after me spending my time advising them.

Also - you’re factually incorrect when you suggest that “half of us” are failing to make a living on fiverr. As of 2020 the number of fiverrians failing to succeed is greater than 99 percent. That’s under 1 percent of people who make more than 2000 US dollars monthly  - and of them, who can pay their bills (in most of the western world) on just 2000?

I am one of the 99% working to become one of the 1%. As the adage goes, I get closer each month but still no cigar. 

Then, maybe when the “Mikes” of the world talk - you’ll be smart enough to listen. Because you can guarantee that us “Mikes” listen to each other and it totally shows.

Yes, we do, and our success shows, even for those not in the upper echelon of the 99%.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, newsmike said:

Brilliant.  As usual, @damooch916 pulls no punches. It was this sort of jealousy driven, refusal to work hard and take the hard knocks, entitlement that led me to largely stop offering advice to the noobs. After about 6 weeks off, I tried again, and was reminded that most who post do not want to improve, they actually just want to complain and be rewarded with a cookie, just like at Grandma's house.  

Most often my response to such entitled whining is "Bug off, strong letter to follow."   Thanks @damooch916 for providing that follow up. 

Jealousy? Nope, wrong.  Your way off on your responses.  It is sad I responded "originally " on behalf of what @dmc_art said, because Mike went off on and them and said it was his fault. I was sticking up for them. No, @andymoorevoice I am not a karen, but if I am that makes you a Karen also.  And @damooch916 you are a really , really, really hateful person for saying bad luck to me.  So just because we are new here, doesn't mean we are dumb. By calling us noobies , dumb name, so what are you? Elders? Not.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, elleo1 said:

So just because we are new here, doesn't mean we are dumb

No, being new does not mean you are dumb, it just means you are simply ignorant as to how things work. What makes you appear dumb is when you side with another entitled noob whining about success being really hard, whilst trying to fight with the folks you should be listening to.  That's what shapes our opinion of you.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, elleo1 said:

By calling us noobies , dumb name, so what are you? Elders?

Any person that is new to a situation is called a "newbie". It is not a dumb or new term.

190470502_Screenshot2022-11-27at3_16_50PM.png.e29637f59af8c4f11dd7abe241c18fc1.png

Those of us that have had some measure of success on Fiverr are not lucky or "elders". We are experienced and have worked hard for our success. 

1185490550_Screenshot2022-11-27at3_18_08PM.thumb.png.8d04c9dece86d6714cd37a4320902404.png

I became an experienced person by following the advice from the likes of @damooch916 and @newsmike. The knowledge they share contributes to my success on the Fiverr platform. At this very moment, I have a file with the guidance they each have posted on the Fiverr Forum so that I can quickly refer to it when I wish. 

• Like 15