One day in, zero orders

jcapozzadesign

On 11/17/2022 at 6:51 AM, anisurratan said:

Be patient,

BS, people need to be full of effort, not patient, you can be patient for a very long time in a world that requires effort. If you believe being patient is going to help, you should be someone's patient: it's flawed beyond words.

On 11/16/2022 at 7:55 PM, jcapozzadesign said:

I created my gig yesterday.

I put a lot of time and keywords into my job description.

Did I do everything right?

I’m also hesitant to promote my gig on social media, because even though I hear from people that I should do it, I also hear that is against the Terms of Service.

I was going to comment sooner but didn't want to mock the ignorant, but it seems it's the best thing to do right now.

Yesterday: all your troubles seemed so far away? Now no sales looks like it's here to stay? To paraphrase the Beetles.

Seriously, if you knew how little effort you'd put into your gig you'd be ashamed to have even asked why you're not getting sales.

image.png.3aab33e0ce0cc8d9748e4743e849a23e.png

No profile text, that's ignorant to best practices, and nothing but lazy

You don't even seen able to design a logo for your own gig:

image.png.32c86c900fbc127b63658befacdf1364.png

Hi! I specialize in custom logo design. I have created logos for companies over the past four years. Just for you, I can help transform your ideas into profit by designing a professional, custom, and super special logo (without using AI-powered software) exactly how you want it! Not satisfied? I offer not only a free revision, but also a 100% money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me using the Fiverr chat. (please use Fiverr chat only.)

Do you? Do you really?

Where is this showcase of great work from the last four years?

If you put in zero effort, you are destined to get zero on your sales reports.

In Freemasonry it's always "left foot first", in freelancing it's always "best foot forward", in either case you need to understand the basics of walking.

Why "hear" from others?

Don't FIverr already publish everything anyone starting out here would need to know?

Have they hidden all their support documents, and made it a circle of secrets where only the highest ranking initiates get the hidden knowledge?

No profile text, that's ignorant to best practices, and nothing but lazy

You don't even seen able to design a logo for your own gig:

Do you? Do you really?

Where is this showcase of great work from the last four years?

You see a gig logo right here, don’t you?

And the logos from the past four years are more so for my own brands and not always professional according to others, but I’m talking about like the first ones.

And what do you mean I have no profile text? You’ll find a description as you scroll down. 

FC8FBED7-F015-4CB5-A18E-3354E29FE393.thumb.png.9852682e3e577f20f02010b7abddfecb.png 

Are you saying I should listen to forumers here only? 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.1e0f21ae4b8d0b4873c42be2ced0fa31.png

I meant the headline bit there as it's very likely a search matching metric on the system, not just that, it tells people what you do, it helps them decide if they want to buy. Apologies for my having missed the word headline from my post. Thought the image made that clearer.

15 hours ago, jcapozzadesign said:

You see a gig logo right here, don’t you?

Yes, and sorry it's one of the worse I've seen for a design gig, anything else and it'd still be poor, but to sell design with a bad design is not going to stand out among the crowd, and your chosen crowd, is seriously crowded.

image.png.e7208cb8bbbe2981783db68959534a52.png

Standard font, basic text effects, gradient background, background removed image. That's what I see, sadly I don't see an attractive Gig image that screams "pro designer" it's not going to get clicks, the top bit of the text is missing in Gig listing pages, and if you looked into the body language of having your hands in your pockets, you'd see you're presenting anxiety more than confidence, people only buy from confident sellers. Some people would even consider hands in pockets as being rude. 

Sorry but the word "doubleplusungood" springs to mind, from Orwell's 1984.

image.thumb.png.ed7620435f059c979cdbeb1401c9d1b1.png

And the results look like this, for me that is, 'ranking' isn't a set in stone thing, it's more like Google where the results are fluid depending on who the searcher is, their history and so on.

image.thumb.png.e3a421673403ccea6e38b9ed234c3b1e.png

Your Gig image needs to stand out more than theirs, your profile needs to be better than theirs, your Gig text and packages need to be better than theirs, in the eyes of a buyer.

How well do you know your competitors here? You need to know which ones you can beat, and those that intimidate and inspire you. Use the ones you can beat to boost your confidence, use the ones who intimidate you to inspire you to be in their shoes one day. 

How does your Gig image compare to these?

image.thumb.png.412457e9b31f3d27f2e0a628af0998c6.png

You need to learn the market place better, know what your competitors are doing better than you, understand why their Gigs are making sales, but first and most important is to think like a buyer. If you don't know a buyer's pain, how can you help them with it? 

And the logos from the past four years are more so for my own brands and not always professional according to others, but I’m talking about like the first ones.

They're yours then so there's no problem in using them.

If you have a portfolio of design work, show it off. 

Use your later designs, that people say are great and professional looking: fake some if you need to, but a designer needs to showcase their design skills, but also the rest of the Gig has to be outstanding if you want it to stand out.

And what do you mean I have no profile text? You’ll find a description as you scroll down.

I'd quoted it in my first post. Sorry for any misunderstanding, and I didn't mean to be harsh when I said "ignorant" but you chose to ignore the onboarding for sellers which tells you everything you need, it comes up in the dashboard and they email guides too, there's no excuse to not have paid attention to it, Fiverr want us to succeed as they want their 20%, they'll always push us forward for better, it's on our shoulders to listen and pay attention. 

Are you saying I should listen to forumers here only?

No, hell no even, I'm saying you should read the terms, the guidelines, Fiverr's docs for sellers, and know who to listen to here that's got solid experience and shares it freely, you should always try to get your information direct from FIverr when you can, and only from other people as a last resort.

Fiverr is the boss here, their terms and conditions are the ones we've agreed to by joining, it's better to know them and to get our info from Fiverr direct, it's simply more reliable to get it first hand.

A 100% money back guarantee

You need to know this is a terrible idea, and why it's so bad for a long term career here. Cancellation rates are a killer.

Educate yourself, then act upon what you learn.

You can be the best teacher you've ever had: we all have that within us. 

Wow.

Okay, first off, looks like you really wouldn’t want to buy from a hoodie model, would you? By the way, you do see its logo, C9, so I should probably add a disclaimer saying I did not draw that, but IMO, it looks great on me to say the least! That’s honestly why you see me in it. I know I could have a picture of me in more professional clothing, but it doesn’t have to be that, does it?

Anyway, I hope it isn’t too late to make changes. My cousin and her husband even proposed that I rearrange the gig image and crop the shorts.

How do I even add a headline and what should it be?

Plus, Fiverr gives advice, and I feel like every Fiverr user takes it, which is saturating.

Also, my goal is to make $1,000 within one month. (A long term goal would be a bigger salary per month that easily pays bills, taxes, and anything like that.) I also hear the key to doing so was buyer requests, which became unavailable a month ago, and that briefs won’t be as good a help for me. Does that mean I definitely won’t be making $1K+ on Fiverr anytime soon?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jcapozzadesign said:

Wow

That's what you need to do to buyers.

8 hours ago, jcapozzadesign said:

looks like you really wouldn’t want to buy from a hoodie model,

If you're a hoodie model what are you doing offering design gigs? 

Wouldn't it make more sense to offer a hoodie modelling gig?

The illogic is strong here.

by the way, you do see its logo, C9

No, there's only the one gig image I see, there are no other logos, there are no other designs on the page, so for you to point out C9 makes zero sense to me at all. 

I did not draw that

There are no drawings on your gig. 

Anyway, I hope it isn’t too late to make changes. My cousin and her husband even proposed that I rearrange the gig image and crop the shorts.

You can always edit your gig. I've been editing one for over four weeks now before publishing it, and you can publish them once live to always keep it fresh.

Your cousin, and her husband, what level sellers are they here on Fiverr, have they any commercial experience in the real world, or are they just nice people who give you the kind of feedback you want to hear?

Friends and family offer the worst of critiques. 

Something tells me neither work in branding, marketing or online conversion? 

How do I even add a headline and what should it be?

It is your business, it is on your shoulders to learn how to do this, clue: profile page.

Plus, Fiverr gives advice, and I feel like every Fiverr user takes it, which is saturating.

"saturating", as in "saturated"? m'kay.

Empowering, maybe that's the word you should have used. Fiverr gives advice which is empowering to the users who apply it, they want a 20% slice of the wins here, they're not going to make it hard, it's only by not taking a blind bit of notice of the guides, cos you feel you know better, hint, you don't, you're making it hard on yourself. 

The marketplace is saturated, and only a small handful really rise to the top, they do that by adhering to best practices and building amazing personal brands, but hey, you do you, cos their millions of sales between them, and all that experience don't mean diddly.

my goal is to make $1,000 within one month

How you doing so far with it? Is your approach working well for you? 

My goal is to live through the hypodermic dystopia of the end times we're in right now, then when the zombies take over the streets I wanna steal a sports car, play Grand Theft Auto Vice City for real, grab a yacht, sail somewhere warm, and employ a troupe of dancing dwarfs to hit each other with crockery as my court jesters.

Your target for a grand is $35.72 a day over 28 consistent days, but then you'd not get it all this month, saturation stuff, ya know. Your basic gig price is ten bucks, you clear 80%, you need to be selling five gigs a day to be on target. 

My dancing dwarf tangent is based in more reality than thoughts of you doing a grand in a month, really, it is. 

Yes, really, there was a yacht, owned by a billionaire, he had a troupe of dancing dwarfs, he'd throw wads of notes overboard and they'd dive over to win them, and was into seeing them fight each other with pots and pans, one died in a tragic accident from being hit with a cooking pot, and the yacht owner was asked to pay their family a million or two Euros, leave the waters where it happened then never return, unless he was sans troupe and spending money. 

I also hear the key to doing so was buyer requests

You really do "hear" a lot of poor information that's out of date and wasn't going to work anyway. BR was a spamfest of desperado bottom dwellers, and hell for buyers to filter through the cut and paste responses.  

The key to doing it is to drag out every last little bit of talent you've got, bang it all together, polish it up, and put of the very best showcase you can on your gig, you work to make it as appealing as the most successful in that category without ripping anyone off, you price yourself in line with your skill set and value offering, then let the Fiverr robots do their thing whilst you monitor how it goes and work on your second gig, putting into practice what you learned from making and posting the first, rinse and repeat, and when the orders come in you overdeliver beyond a client's wants and needs, you give them reasons to return and leave stellar reviews.

I definitely won’t be making $1K+ on Fiverr anytime soon

If you're hoping Fiverr is going to finance Christmas 2022, you'd be better off looking elsewhere for a means to make some cash. If you want it to finance Christmas 2023, it could contribute but it'll take persistence and a lot of work.

41 minutes ago, jcapozzadesign said:

A longer term goal would be a living ($3,000 a month or more) which I was hoping I would make off of Fiverr in a couple of months.

And you said I should look elsewhere. What do you mean by elsewhere? Be specific, please.

McDonalds. 

I am now a TRS - Top Rated Seller. It took me 45 days to get my first sale. Then it took years of writing, rewriting and tweaking my gig offerings to get to the TRS level. @jcapozzadesign you will benefit from following Andy's advice.

On 11/21/2022 at 11:56 AM, jcapozzadesign said:

A longer term goal would be a living ($3,000 a month or more)

In logo design? Have you looked at your competition?
1217410220_Screenshot2022-11-21at10_10_49AM.thumb.png.4904acd893e9c430f5451ef32e946ab1.png
I am a TRS and can tell you I do not make that amount in a month. However, our friend @newsmike may. He said he had two 1200 orders in a week.

• Like 3

McDonalds. 

A, I actually did try to get a job from McDonalds in July (an interview took place then, and I saw if I would get jobs from MD stores in two locations), but no luck.

B, even if I were to get a job from McDonalds, it wouldn’t have made me a living. I’ve had a better idea the whole time. I can just look for WFH day jobs. But, what concerns me is the available BR breaks, while I can’t say Fiverr would’ve restricted me on that. Not every job is as flexible as Fiverr.

• Like 1

McDonalds. 

McDonald's does pay its food scientists really well!

On 11/21/2022 at 2:11 PM, jcapozzadesign said:

even if I were to get a job from McDonalds, it wouldn’t have made me a living.

I optimized equipment, processes, and products for 7 years at a manufacturing plant for McDonald's & it was good money. Highest paid burger flipper right here! 😊

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

I am a TRS and can tell you I do not make that amount in a month. However, our friend @newsmike may. He said he had two 1200 orders in a week.

Not when I was 3 days in. Back then it was "Hey sailor, want a date?"  One has to spend the time and fight the fight to be better than the people already earning at the top. Just showing up gets you nothing. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jcapozzadesign said:

A longer term goal would be a living ($3,000 a month or more) which I was hoping I would make off of Fiverr in a couple of months.

It took me two years (and 3 years of experimenting while I had another job) to get that much. 

I understand the need for flexibility (I love being able to write and then do what I want during my down periods) but at first, Fiverr won't really be a 'job'. It will be... a hobby that will take up more time and space than you want it to. Unless you have outstanding skills and actual experience (that you can prove with examples, etc.) you won't even be earning $500 in the first few weeks. 

From what I've heard/remember, there's only a small percentage of people who make more than that. 

Here is my question to you - please be honest.

If you saw your gig in passing and needed a logo, would you trust yourself?

Would you look at your gig image and think 'yeah, this person CAN make my logo the way I want it?' Why? When selling arts, keywords in your description will get you very little (sure, they will get you impressions, but people will likely ignore your gig.) 

(before anything - my pictures aren't any better, but I don't sell design...)
The one scenario I can see someone purchasing from you right now is for a 'I got this for 10 bucks' video, which honestly isn't what you want, right? I mean, if you want to eventually earn a living... You need to have clients who are serious (and pay more than just that for a logo design.)

• Like 2
  • Up 2

There's some good company here!

On 11/21/2022 at 2:02 PM, vickiespencer said:

you will benefit from following Andy's advice.

Humbled, thank you.

@jcapozzadesignyou will benefit from following @vickiespencer's advice posted throughout these forums, @newsmikeis here too, another voice of reason worth checking out. 

On 11/21/2022 at 2:30 PM, vickieito said:

McDonald's does pay its food scientists really well!

I've not considered McDonalds as 'food' for a very long time! A rare indulgence of digestive s-elf-har-ming though, oh yeah gimmi a Big Tssty, and that traumatic feeling of shame, loathing and regret.

On 11/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, katakatica said:

You need to have clients who are serious (and pay more

^^^ this, not the lower budget clients, they're going to make many headaches whereas the bigger the client, the easier they are to work with I've found, this doesn't mean a big paying client isn't going to give you any head stress, but the reward will be better.

Fiverr appear to be inverting the old image of the cheapest marketplace with the lowest quality, which is how many perceive it to be, and switching it up so it's the higher quality for higher prices, that's how they're going to make more money as a platform.

It makes sense to drop Buyer Requests, deny more profiles, and reject more gigs.

The barrier to entry is rising, it's a high jump, not a limbo. 

"One day in, zero orders"

I've said so often that nothing can surprise me any longer, since I'm a Fiverr forum reader, but I have to admit, that this thread did. I was so sure it must be a satire thread by Mr. Newsmike, for example.

Okay, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that this is for real. First of all, yes, preach, brothers and sisters, and listen to the eternal sermons, you who are honestly seeking guidance and not forum badges. So.

You want to get somewhere quickly, then pour everything you got into it. Don't walk, don't jog, run. Eat your espresso. 

Be honest with yourself, about yourself.

Then define the customer group(s) that you could, realistically, serve well, and who, realistically, would want to buy from you. Tailor everything to them. Everything. To them, and only to them.

Read everything there is that can help you to understand how Fiverr works. It's an investment in your business. You have an hour to watch Netflix? You have an hour to read stuff that will help you make a living. The closer to the source, and the higher up the ladder, the better.

Think about it all, and tailor it not just to your realistic target group but also to the realistic you. Along the way, keep improving the realistic you, and aim for a slightly less realistic target group, or stick with what works, if it works well enough and you're happy enough with it.

As you can see, those are 5 steps. It's the magic number that will lead you to success. Okay, no, there are no magic secrets, and this is a bonus step, don't trust people who promise you secrets. Why? Back to step 5, Think about it all, or just, Think.

You can do it if you really want to do it. Probably. But the stress is on 'do', not on 'want', all those Fiverr slogans are about 'doers', not 'wanters', for a reason.

On 11/17/2022 at 1:55 AM, jcapozzadesign said:

I created my gig yesterday.

I put a lot of time and keywords into my job description.

Did I do everything right?

No. There's no way to get it right in just a yesterday. That's not a lot of time. And that's not a job description.

2 hours ago, jcapozzadesign said:

Not every job is as flexible as Fiverr.

Stop thinking of Fiverr as a job. Fiverr is a platform that can empower your business. If you want to make a living as a freelancer, say goodbye to the word "job". Create your business, be your own brand of freelancer, and use what the platform gives you to make money for yourself and the platform. Have you read their Support Center articles? Their blog? Done the free course?

"I created my Gig yesterday.

I put a lot of time and keywords into my job description", doesn't mean a thing. It's the very basic start, not more. I've trashed Gigs that I worked on and filed to perfection over days, weeks, and months, including one or two that actually were doing nicely, had only five-star reviews. To get an order the first day, you must be something special, or selling hot cakes, or be lucky, or even a combination of all of that. It can happen, but you shouldn't expect it to happen. What you should expect if you want to make a living out of this is a lot more work than a yesterday. Luckily, there are only two days in a year that you can't do anything - yesterday, and tomorrow. And since it's today now, back to your Gig drawing board. 😉

In any case, welcome, and best wishes.

• Like 4
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, miiila said:

To get an order the first day, you must be something special

This is the entire thread, really.

Why do you deserve business? If you are that special in your offering, then they will beat your door down. If they don't, then the reality is that others are better at providing the service and better at marketing it. Your move.  End of story. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 2

I’ve had a better idea the whole time. I can just look for WFH day jobs. Not every job is as flexible as Fiverr.

The ugly truth that no one is telling (Well, we do but no one listens to work hard play hard, it’s easier to watch a YouTube video that promises success overnight) is that people who work right now part time and has fiverr or any other platform had to work days and night before that and probably even longer days than at just a normal job. Your business is not 9-5 job, your business will require much more and flexibility FROM YOU with working long hours and nights before your business can give flexibility TO YOU. 

But you didn’t even answer my simple questions from my comment above so what success are we talking about… 

• Like 1
  • Up 2

13 hours ago, jcapozzadesign said:

even if I were to get a job from McDonalds, it wouldn’t have made me a living.

Neither will Fiverr, for quite a while. If ever. 

On 11/20/2022 at 11:19 PM, jcapozzadesign said:

Plus, Fiverr gives advice, and I feel like every Fiverr user takes it,

No, many Fiverr users never even read it.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:49 PM, jcapozzadesign said:

It's been three days now, and still no orders.

I've heard people get orders within that much time or less.

Some do. For others, it takes months until they get their first order. And some never get an order.

I also hear the key to doing so was buyer requests

Buyer requests were a mess. Buyers looking to get someone to work for them for a whole month for $5, incompetent sellers sending template offers to everything whether they could do the job or not (it's not like they bothered to actually read what the buyer was looking for)... And most people crying about the loss of buyer requests had like a total of 5 sales in 2 years.

Does that mean I definitely won’t be making $1K+ on Fiverr anytime soon?

Not unless you can figure out how to create gigs that look better than what your 330,000+ competitors have. And that means showing an amazing portfolio. Right now you have zero samples of your work, so why would anyone buy from you? Your current gig image would only work if you were so famous already that everyone knew who you were and that you were the best logo designer in the world.

• Like 2
  • Up 1