Jump to content
  • 0

Buy asked for revision outside of scope


sarahannewrites
 Share

Question

I did a custom order - proofreading a clients screenplay, and he asked if I could add some humor into certain sections as well, so I added some jokes. 

He said he was very impressed with the work, and has now requested a revision. 

I was expecting this, as humor is subjective, and thought he might want to tweak a few things. 

He's just sent a file with requested changes, but none of the new changes are about my work, he wants to change other things and add new ideas. It's going to take me at least an hour to add these things, probably more. What should I do?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
12 minutes ago, sarahannewrites said:

What should I do?

It is really your choice how you would like to approach this situation. But for sure I will advise for the future to add to your FAQs what do you consider a revision and that anything out of that scope will cost extra. 
now your choices basically are to make it free of charge or just send him a custom offer on your order page saying that you are happy to do more revisions but it will be x$ for those as it’s not part of the original requirements.

 

  • Like 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
16 minutes ago, sarahannewrites said:

He's just sent a file with requested changes, but none of the new changes are about my work, he wants to change other things and add new ideas. It's going to take me at least an hour to add these things, probably more. What should I do?

As soon as possible, let the buyer know that the requested changes are outside of the scope of the order and add the revisions as a gig extra. I did notice that you offer $10 for extra revisions, so you could go with that price.

I agree with @mariashtelle1 - it would be nice if you could define what a revision is in your FAQs and/or gig description. You did clearly define the scope of services that are included (i.e., proofreading and line editing), so you can reference those when informing the buyer that the changes are outside of the scope of your services.

The only issue I see is that during the order you agreed to add in humor, which falls under content editing (not proofreading or line editing), so the buyer might question why you were open to making those changes and not the changes requested in the revision request. Both appear to be outside of the scope of your services.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, vickieito said:

I agree with @mariashtelle1 - it would be nice if you could define what a revision is in your FAQs and/or gig description. You did clearly define the scope of services that are included (i.e., proofreading and line editing), so you can reference those when informing the buyer that the changes are outside of the scope of your services.

The only issue I see is that during the order you agreed to add in humor, which falls under content editing (not proofreading or line editing), so the buyer might question why you were open to making those changes and not the changes requested in the revision request. Both appear to be outside of the scope of your services.

Hi,

Thanks for that suggestion. I haven't had this issue until this week, and I will definitely modify my FAQs to prevent it happening in future. 

And for the second bit, sorry, I guess I didn't describe that bit correctly. I discussed with the buyer beforehand, and then I sent them a custom offer, where I described exactly what I would be doing. I listed the humor in the description. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, mariashtelle1 said:

It is really your choice how you would like to approach this situation. But for sure I will advise for the future to add to your FAQs what do you consider a revision and that anything out of that scope will cost extra. 
now your choices basically are to make it free of charge or just send him a custom offer on your order page saying that you are happy to do more revisions but it will be x$ for those as it’s not part of the original requirements.

Thanks for your help. I will add it to my FAQs to prevent this happening again. 

Is there any way that a buyer can be stopped from opening up a revision request when you haven't included any in your offer to them?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...