Why does this keep happening?

satvrn

I'm getting a little frustrated using Fiverr. Here's my experience: I'll get in touch with a seller offering a service I'm interested in. The seller will have their rates posted, let's say for example, their gig says "I'll write a song on piano for $500". I'll get in touch with them, saying something like "I'd like a piano song that sounds cheerful and uses a lot of 7th chords" or whatever, and they'll come back with "Oh yeah, sure, I can do that! That'll be $4,000."

It's either that or they speak enthusiastically about the gig, then just stop messaging back altogether. This is my experience with every single seller I've been in contact with for 2 years. Is it common for sellers to not honor their listed rates or am I having a comically bad run of rotten luck?

• Like 14
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I can see how that can be disappointing.   My two scents?  I think a lot of sellers on Fiverr do not take freelancing (and their business) seriously.   The basics are, after all, to create a gig, state what you can do and provide your price.  If you can't keep to what you're offering ... well, what are you doing here?  I am sorry about your experience, @satvrn  I don't know what services you are normally interested in and how often you've contacted sellers in the two years - but there are good sellers here.  It is like digging for gold.  Sometimes one does just have to delve a bit deeper!   All the best, Helena.   

• Like 10

Hi!

I just can offer my point of view from my trade that its illustration. I do mainly characters so I have my gig for them set in price by their shading style, they all are for a full body character, however, sometimes the thing isn't as simple, as a buyer may want a character with six arms, well, thats an extra work to consider; or maybe the character has a pet or a mount, thats not a single full body character.

That said, is rare for me to do a increase of price like the one you comment, but that may vary from one seller to another and the kind of work they do.

Whats seems weird to me is that the sellers stop responding yout messages, thats happened with all the sellers?

• Like 7

On 11/9/2022 at 1:35 PM, satvrn said:

It's either that or they speak enthusiastically about the gig, then just stop messaging back altogether. This is my experience with every single seller I've been in contact with for 2 years. Is it common for sellers to not honor their listed rates or am I having a comically bad run of rotten luck?

On 11/9/2022 at 1:35 PM, satvrn said:

"I'll write a song on piano for $500". I'll get in touch with them, saying something like "I'd like a piano song that sounds cheerful and uses a lot of 7th chords" or whatever, and they'll come back with "Oh yeah, sure, I can do that! That'll be $4,000."

Though I charge the fees I've listed, buyers often ask me for a discount and say that other sellers are charging lower fees. 

I'm assuming that you haven't purchased on Fiverr before or that you didn't leave any reviews for the services you have gotten. 

I'm not sure if you're referring to music services or other kinds of services. Since you mention a specific need of "sounds cheerful" and "uses a lot of 7th chords" in your post, I'll assume it's an additional difficulty or complexity.

Many sellers (mostly Western) honor the rates listed, and those on the lower end are often new sellers trying to attract attention by listing low fees. Let's be honest here. If every single seller is doing that with you and I'm assuming that it's plenty--well, perhaps the problem is you.

• Like 7

I do charge from list, I always take care my buyer and many sellers want to get more $$ out of their list thinking buyer is rich😁. Even I do buy services from fiverr for my business but its similar experience i have been getting. 

• Like 6