Not getting orders? YOU(r gigs) might be the issue

katakatica

On 11/9/2022 at 4:49 PM, vickieito said:

TLDR - I joined Fiverr for all the wrong reasons. Luckily, I was able to quickly adjust and correct myself.

I did see it! I was gearing up to get back to you all day, just lost the forum on my laptop for a bit (laptop's fault, not the forum's!)
To be honest I joined for similar reasons  - writing and translating WERE my only skills that I felt like I could do, but had no idea about business as a whole (this was back when I dropped out of uni and went 'soul-searching' (aka became an aupair for far too many years) and wanted to try something else on the side.

It took me way longer - years - to actually get good enough (mostly with business, time-management, etc. - was probably always a decent writer, just didn't know how to sell it) to get here. I think, as others have said as well, what sets us apart (other than, in my case at least, the constant impostor syndrome) is that we actually tried to change things, to improve when something wasn't working. 

I think that makes a big difference from people who just complain that they aren't getting orders (or copy those who do, etc.)

On 11/9/2022 at 9:17 PM, williambryan392 said:

I've pulled back from the forum in recent weeks. I was just too busy, and I found it a negative time suck, my inbox here as well as the feed was full of 'help me' from people that didn't even read the advice they had previously been sent. Infuriating. 

Yeah, it's been a bit... chaotic lately. Fiverr has made some pretty obvious changes that are, well, changing the site and clearly not everyone is happy about it, so I definitely get taking a step back. I'm working on a few more casual posts just to try and brighten the mood a bit, but I'm glad that at least people found this post helpful (or at least, interesting enough to read/debate)! 
I think for me, it took a long time to understand that you need to be able to SELL your talent - not just use it. When I see people trying to sell fake stuff it makes my blood boil because it reminds me of when when I was struggling to get things going, and how much effort I put into those first 100-200 orders, I guess? 

(the point here is - people are selling canva templates. I would write 5-10 words for pennies!)

• Like 95
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, advanceseonahid said:

i  think everyone  want to  get order  from fiverr yes  some  one  not be serious but  some people is really   serious so i  am also  trying  my best  to  get  work but  i did not but i  will try my  best  allways

I have a question for you! (genuinely!) When you say 'trying your best' - for you, what does that mean? What do you do to be able to work online/etc.? 
For me - it means research. Trying to understand WHY something works, why something else doesn't. New gig wasn't a hit - why? 
I try to see myself from a buyer's perspective AND try to identify my flaws. (on top of that, of course, I deliver on time, etc, etc.) 

So for you, what does trying your best mean? 

• Like 88

5 hours ago, katakatica said:

So for you, what does trying your best mean? 

Please allow me to jump on this bandwagon too.
I'd really like to ask this question myself.
I checked @advanceseonahid's gigs and to be honest it's a bit of a head-scratcher because he claims to be skilled in marketing, and I believe we've seen
people like this a lot. He does have a 5 star so that's nice, it does say his English is basic so he's being honest, that's good too. However if he is a marketing expert and his trying is best but not getting sales, something is missing.

This is my opportunity to actually ask. It's a genuine question. 

• Like 83
  • Up 3

On 11/10/2022 at 2:45 PM, katakatica said:

changing the site and clearly not everyone is happy about it,

I've seen this mentioned a lot recently, have I missed something? I was aware of BRs dying and the rise of briefs (neither of which I've ever really engaged with) and the segmenting of FBM and the 'good old fiverr' marketplace, but is there something else?

• Like 81
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

but is there something else?

I don't know if its true (probably not), but theres talking in several posts about a "new engine" for the marketplace. It seems that people has the impression that the marketplace algorythm has changed and now sorts the gigs differently, affecting the way you have to optimize your gigs info, tags, images and such.

• Like 79

3 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

I've seen this mentioned a lot recently, have I missed something?

I'm wondering if it's just the shift from 'ranking' to a more fluid marketplace that they are starting to notice (which WAS a while ago). The changes are major, at least in my opinion, but probably for the best, however I can see people who were told that this is easy money raging when they can't even make gigs at this point. 

I also had another influx of spammy messages - which might be that someone started telling people to do so again because it's the 'only way' now?

• Like 80

8 hours ago, katakatica said:

I also had another influx of spammy messages - which might be that someone started telling people to do so again because it's the 'only way' now?

Unfortunately, that sounds rather probable. Misreading of Gigs as BRs by new users is no new thing, but with BR gone, it makes sense that it would only increase, as Gigs now are the only thing visible to them now, so they'll be even more prone to misread them as BRs, and those who are aware that they aren't, might still think hopping on the "ask other sellers to 'share' their orders" train will get them somewhere.

• Like 77

Superb Post! 

I agree with each and every point you made above; However, I kinda liked the 'buyer request' because it had the opportunity for me to connect with a diverse group of people (buyers, potential buyers, sellers, spammers, etc). Most of my buyers who I have worked with have brought again from me and a major chunk of them told me they like the way I communicate and emotionally connect with others (them). 

I'm a writer, not an expert writer though. 

The only two fields of writing that I think I have excelled in are 1. Philosophy, and 2. Legal writing (privacy policy, terms and conditions, drafting agreements, contracts, etc.). 

Before jumping into marketplaces, I helped one of my 'freelancer friends' who had plenty of projects that she couldn't manage. She was 'so so so judgmental, xD' that I had to revise most of my works because she would always have 'that gut feeling' that  something that I wrote wasn't perfect. 

OK, fake freelancers/scammers/beggars won't listen to genuine advises because they don't need to do something that requires efforts and time. 

BTW, I don't get briefs, I never received even only one, so far! 

• Like 77
  • Sad 5

To be honest, i never got a single order through BR and the primary reason was the expectations vs price tag, in my category (3d Computer Graphics) work is kind of undefined whenever i visited BR pages i saw peoples offering $5 for work of 10-20 hours or something and they are still bombarded with bunch of offer so i never participated.

• Like 83

6 hours ago, evp_productions said:

I understand your point, but being a true professional is just not enough these days.

I'd love it if you elaborated a bit! My gripe is mostly with people who spam/scam their way through their online life (so those who lie about their achievements, etc.) I know that it's not easy to really 'get going' online anymore (people trust less, have money, bigger competitions) but I just feel like the way out isn't, you know, scamming in the end. Being a pro isn't enough because there's so many others who claim to be pros (and some who actually are).

3 hours ago, raisul_mina said:

Can't get order? Change or edit gig. Describe your skills well in the description

Thank you for reading my post on people who don't do their reseach/claim to be something they aren't/give bad advice! Your input is much appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, naeemmollah1 said:

To get the order, you have to be patient first, the next step is to be active right? Can't get order? Change or edit gig. Describe your skills well in the description.

This is EXACTLY the advice I'm trying to preach against. Changing your gig MIGHT help, but doing it too often will hurt you in the long run (and being active does nothing but drive you crazy..)

• Like 73
  • Up 2

On 11/9/2022 at 6:17 PM, williambryan392 said:

The way I see it you approached it as you should, indeed as you should with any business....

You had a goal of making money, and you thought you'd achieve this by offering services you could deliver.

You then launched, tested, iterated and validated. And you haven't stopped doing the last 3 since. That's the right approach.

I mean what I am about to say with the following explicit points:

• I do not intend to solicit you.
  • I am not requesting anything of you.
  • I hope you know your input is valuable.

The above being said, I think it's worth mentioning, if you were to have an audio book on business and ambition in general, that happened across my path, I could see myself buying it. 🙂

• Like 73

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 4:58 AM, katakatica said:

I'd love it if you elaborated a bit! My gripe is mostly with people who spam/scam their way through their online life (so those who lie about their achievements, etc.) I know that it's not easy to really 'get going' online anymore (people trust less, have money, bigger competitions) but I just feel like the way out isn't, you know, scamming in the end. Being a pro isn't enough because there's so many others who claim to be pros (and some who actually are).

Thank you for reading my post on people who don't do their reseach/claim to be something they aren't/give bad advice! Your input is much appreciated. 

This is EXACTLY the advice I'm trying to preach against. Changing your gig MIGHT help, but doing it too often will hurt you in the long run (and being active does nothing but drive you crazy..)

I agree with your words that if such a change is made, the gig will be increased or a good buyer will be found, but nowadays those who are new sellers like me are having less and less problems, what do you say about that?

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Painfully true. I'm brand new to Fiverr and still figuring out how exactly to construct my gig in a way that's appealing to buyers.

There's a lot of trial and error and a lot of learning that goes into building any kind of online business. You don't hit the ground running and make it to the finish line without putting in solid groundwork first. Freelancing is a different beast from long time salaried work, too. I think a lot of people who come into this just aren't prepared for the reality because they're used to regular paychecks. 

• Like 45
  • Sad 2