Not getting orders? YOU(r gigs) might be the issue

katakatica

The past few weeks, the forum has once again exploded with 'but what do I know now' questions from what seems like hundreds of sellers, ranging from trying to guilt trip people to order from them because of monetary issues, to 'but my profile is purrfect, why no orders came to me'?

I know that this will sound rather harsh, but I feel like it has to be said (though it doesn't seem like anyone is listening.)

If you got 5 orders from BR in the past five years, you aren't losing out on a lot. BR was a great tool until is wasn't - and the whole point of Fiverr is that people can VISIT your profile and say 'oh, this person looks like they can help me'!

You know why they don't do it? 

Because they know you can't.

You are NOT  a designer if you steal logos from others (or if you use Canva to edit them a bit.) You are NOT a writer if you can't put two sentences together coherently without calling yourself an 'expart', 'expat' or another variations of the word 'expert'. You likely aren't an expert, anyway. 

Life is tough and people think that earning money online is easy, but it's not, and it's not meant to be. You need actual skills, just like for any other job. People who 'teach' you by sending you links how to cheat (using softwares that will do your job for you, etc.) aren't actually teachers, they are scammers - and they are setting you up to be the same, too.

So what IS my advice to you? 

Reconsider working on here. Think about whether you have the time AND funds to learn skils that you can SELL. You can STILL learn, but don't RELY on Fiverr until you know what you're doing. 

Remember, 5 minutes online and a sketchy certificate does NOT make you a professional.

BR was easier to bullcrap people in because you could spam them until they ordered from you (guilty of that at some point...) but now you actually have to prove yourself to get ANY orders. 

And that's how it should be. 

If you've bothered to read this, congratulations, you might:

1. be an actually seasoned seller who thinks similarly to me (or wants to debate, which I'd love)

2. someone who is serious about trying to get work on here!

(note: my glasses are broken and I can't be bothered to spellcheck this. expect properly written posts from me in January or so when I get my new glasses, until then, typos will co-exist with my grumpiness (no glasses+dehydration+computer work=headaches.)

• Like 163
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 12
  • Thanks 18

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

will sound rather harsh,

Not at all that's how freelancing is, rather it be online or offline.

I've commented myself trying to give advice in some of this posts, but the OP never answer nor provide insight, I think that as you said, they thought that work onlime would be easy and have suddenly faced the reality of a saturated market (especially in some niches)

congratulations

Thanks! 😎

PS: look at the first comment below your post, I think this reflect perfectly this idea that don't reading but engaging on the forums will affect somehow their sells.

• Like 95
  • Haha 5

On 11/8/2022 at 6:56 AM, shalock said:

I've commented myself trying to give advice in some of this posts, but the OP never answer nor provide insight, I think that as you said, they thought that work onlime would be easy and have suddenly faced the reality of a saturated market (especially in some niches)

I feel like 99% of the time they don't understand where we're coming from (which is why I try to simplify my writing) but also.. I don't think they care. I've tried so many times to aid people, even when they clearly were in the wrong (unoriginal art, etc. it's very easy to spot...) but I think all they care about is getting the same crap advice they get from their 'teachers'. 

They don't want to hear how to be successful unless we think that being online is what helps. Basically, they are fishing more for sympathy than anything in my personal opinion. Some do listen of course, but... 

It's kind of rare. What hurts me is that when you try to help, you know it'll go unheard, but then you see them BEGGING because they 'gave up on their work to freelance' and whatnot (which could be just something they are told to say, but...) 

• Like 81
  • Up 8

8 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I don't think they care

Exactly! I think that they believe (or have been taught) that theres a secret that will give you instant success (like being online 24/7).

To be honest I got started with a lucky shot, but since then I've worked non stop a lot of hours every day for two years, and that's what a lot of people don't get.

Also, times have changed, I did started just in the pandemic and the world and Fiverr has changed in this time.

8 minutes ago, katakatica said:

gave up on their work to freelance'

I think that in some cases is a begging argument, in others a terrible mistake. I've been quite successful here and never leaves my other offline works. Never put all the eggs in the same basket and all that.

Edited by shalock
  • Like 69
  • Up 7

Thank you, the sad thing is the people who need to read this most, won't, or if they do they won't understand it. 

I often wonder if it's inability of willful ignorance because 'we must be gatekeeping Fiverr' or something ridiculous like that.

In the end, I think if for anything, it's nice to write something that SOMEONE might find useful!
As for glasses, it's a bit complicated - I have astygmatism, pretty bad (lazy eye on top of that), so I never really had reading glasses. Techically, my vision for short-distance is actually pretty dang good (for someone whose eyes are wonky) but I need the prescribed lenses to fully correct it. Now, there MIGHT exist reading glasses that could help but I'll have to do some digging. Maybe... 
I'm basically just waiting to be registered here (moved here a while back) once that is done, I'll be able to get a subscription with a 3 pairs of glasses that should work the best for me! But honestly, I'll have a look around for reading glasses that are 'special'!

And I'm glad you enjoy my posts! I try to do my fair share of 'regular convos' a swell - I just think it's nice to be active and see what others are up to (when the thread doesn't get spammy!)

• Like 76
  • Thanks 4

It's unfortunate that so many sellers misunderstand the fundamentals of business; which is to provide value. I have multiple people message me every week stating that they want to become writers and yet they can't produce a coherent grammatically-correct gig description. Additionally, so many are wanting a get-rich-quick scheme, when in reality, successful sellers had to work insanely hard just for their first order. I often buy services on Fiverr, and when I scroll through the site I always notice how only 1/10 people actually take things seriously. 

• Like 73
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, andymoorevoice said:

I got my eyes tested so I know what lenses I need, then just bought a five pack of reading glasses on Amazon.

I got mine tested and one pair of "real" glasses at the optician, which I use at home, and a few at the drugstore for €3 a pop, to have in the coat pocket or bag for outside. I do prefer the "real" ones for when I read a book, but don't want to carry them around and maybe damage or lose them just to decipher the fine print on food packaging or such on the go, or in case I have to read and sign something. The cheap ones are pretty good, too, the difference is there but not as earth shattering as the price difference would suggest, and they certainly are perfectly fine for shorter reading.

I'd still recommend one "real" pair, though, for people who read "real" books for more than a few minutes in one go, or need them to work (luckily, I don't need them to work, thanks to a big external monitor).

• Like 71
  • Up 4

2 hours ago, katakatica said:

trying to guilt trip people to order from them because of monetary issues

That's the worst. Buyers should buy because they need the service, not because of the seller's monetary problem.

34 minutes ago, kaneswriting said:

It's unfortunate that so many sellers misunderstand the fundamentals of business; which is to provide value.

Exactly! Sellers who can only think of themselves won't understand this fundamental rule of business. They will try to guilt-trip anyone they can find to feel sorry for them and place the order (and don't even mention their services)!

but my profile is purrfect, why no orders came to me

This really shocks me. If I have issues, the first "cause" I look at is myself. Over 99% of the time, the problem is me. Which is how I'd like it to be, because at least I can do something about it. Unfortunately, there are some sellers that can't admit that they have a role in either their problem (or their solution).

people think that earning money online is easy, but it's not, and it's not meant to be. You need actual skills, just like for any other job.

I like how Fiverr is moving to Buyer Briefs because it emphasizes skill and quality over "anyone can make a bid." If you do good work, you will be rewarded.

35 minutes ago, kaneswriting said:

I always notice how only 1/10 people actually take things seriously.

I'm glad Fiverr is now being more strict on "quality of services" and are starting to deny new sellers and gigs that don't meet those quality standards.

BR was easier to bullcrap people in because you could spam them until they ordered from you (guilty of that at some point...) but now you actually have to prove yourself to get ANY orders. 

This is going to be really hard for those who depend on Buyer Requests for orders. No matter what I say, they believe that Fiverr is doing them wrong. They don't see the opportunity here.

If you've bothered to read this, congratulations, you might:

1. be an actually seasoned seller who thinks similarly to me (or wants to debate, which I'd love)

2. someone who is serious about trying to get work on here!

Thanks for posting @katakatica! I'm #2. 😊 I always love to hear what you have to say. I don't think you are harsh - new sellers need to hear this!

• Like 66
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 8

I've tried so many times to aid people

Once upon a time, back when dragons were little, I used to try that. I still do from time to time, but....well, I mean, you know, I kinda stopped.
What I still do is report the obvious fake sellers and back in the day they would get banned right away but recently for some reason CS ain't doing anything anymore.

For the sellers who beg and ask the same question over and over again "How do I get sales?" who refuses to read and just keep looking for that golden answer/reply that will only take 20 seconds to read, seriously it makes me wonder what is going on in their heads.
For example if I chose a random seller who claims to be a professional writer but is clearly not, I want to sit down with them and ask,
"how in the heck are you going to write an article for someone if you can't write a single sentence properly?"

I just want to know what they will say to me in person. I kinda-sorta ( but at the same time don't want to ) want to know how their minds work.
Or at least hear their explanation. I've seen fake writers here in the forum, but usually when I ask that question all they say is thank you for advice.

• Like 71
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 5

29 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

Or at least hear their explanation. I've seen fake writers here in the forum, but usually when I ask that question all they say is thank you for advice.

Honestly, I'd pay them (five bucks, maybe but still) to explain what on Earth they are thinking. I see the spammers here every day, AND of course all the spammers in my inbox begging for work when they don't even have gigs set up. A huge part of writing (and translating in a way as well I guess) is RESEARCH. Being unable to make your gig/advertise it correctly is just such a big red flag... 

I think in the end you're right about people only wanting the 'easy' advice. No one wants to hear how we (as in more seasoned sellers or actual professionals in their fields) got to where they are at right now. They want the 'sped-up' version - and if that involves plagarising, lying, pretending to be amazing than so be it. 

Everyone is complaining about BR being gone and people allegedly leaving Fiverr because of it, and here I am thinking 'maybe that's for the best, you know? 

• Like 68
  • Up 6

I'm a new seller and I look forward to topics like this, I'm always taking notes and that's how I've made 3 sales so far as an actress. I made a quick video for my Gig just to get started on Fiverr but today I finally finished editing a more professional video for my Gig that would showcase my abilities(Will be uploading soon), I'll also make some adjustments to my prices. Someone here said "show more, tell less", that's how I knew that shooting a video on selfie mode and telling clients I'd create  'Full HD' videos wasn't adding up, I hope to keep learning and in the future pass on some tips also. Thanks for this post, some of us actually read them.

Edited by mabeljacob481
  • Like 67
  • Up 5

18 hours ago, mabeljacob481 said:

I'm always taking notes

18 hours ago, mabeljacob481 said:

some of us actually read

You deserve and award for this, seriously. Thank you, it's good to know that some people are actually doing that!!  (Dare I say it makes me proud!!??)

23 hours ago, katakatica said:

Honestly, I'd pay them (five bucks, maybe but still) to explain what on Earth they are thinking.

You know whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I'm sure I might get bombarded with spam messages asking for an "interview" if I post this, but hey, I'd gladly pay $50 ( 5 dollars each, asking 10 people!! ) to sit down and ask those questions ALONG with a native level interpreter. I do want to know exactly what they are thinking, why and how did they even think copying is a good idea, and how in the heck were they going to deliver the order when they don't have the skill, and why on earth do they believe that staying online 24 hours is a good idea? I need to hear THEIR words.

Again I'm not trying to mean, I really, really want to know what is going on in their minds.

• Like 69
  • Confused 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 6

On 11/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, zeus777 said:

but hey, I'd gladly pay $50 ( 5 dollars each, asking 10 people!! ) to sit down and ask those questions ALONG with a native level interpreter. I do want to know exactly what they are thinking ...and how in the heck were they going to deliver the order when they don't have the skill, and why on earth do they believe that staying online 24 hours is a good idea? I need to hear THEIR words.

I'll answer you for free, @zeus777!

I'm guilty of joining Fiverr for all the wrong reasons - I didn't know what skill I could sell on the platform (and it didn't really matter to me). I also joined Fiverr because I wanted to make "quick and easy money" doing the most generic skills that anyone could do - data entry, proofreading, and beta reading. I also believed myths such as "staying online 24/7" because that was what other sellers on the platform were telling me. That myth landed me in the hospital, so I found out it wasn't true.

Also, I posted gigs before I knew that I could deliver on them. And I would kill myself with over delivery to get my orders right, even if it was only $5. I think on many of the orders, I put in over 40 hours to get it right. That was in the beginning. I was very lucky that I was able to replace my day job within a few months of being on this platform, especially since I posted gigs for high-competition skills that anyone can do.

So based on this, I might be what you have been calling a "fake" seller. The only thing is, I've been very honest about where my skills are and I don't (even now) consider or call myself an expert. I have been very open to try things that my customers ask of me and only keep the services that I feel adds to the quality of the customer experience. For that reason, I no longer offer voiceovers for my eLearning courses or logo designs in conjunction with my PowerPoint designs. 

I still use the platform to develop my skills. For example, I mostly design in Canva, Word, and PowerPoint but just recently designed a resume in InDesign (which was my first time using the program). It took forever because I had had to look up how to do everything in the program. But I was able to create a design that I was proud of (and the buyer was pleased with).

On 11/8/2022 at 8:46 AM, zeus777 said:

if I chose a random seller who claims to be a professional writer but is clearly not, I want to sit down with them and ask, "how in the heck are you going to write an article for someone if you can't write a single sentence properly?"

When I posted my first gig, I vowed I would never write on the platform. This was because I only wanted to do the easy stuff and writing was hard. However, writing was what my customers wanted, so I started offering it. In the beginning, I was REALLY rusty. Words didn't flow smoothly. It would take forever to write just one sentence. I joined the forum to help me improve my writing so that I could write on demand (and I also wanted to learn how to do business smarter, without the 24/7 rule). 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, zeus777 said:

Again I'm not trying to mean, I really, really want to know what is going on in their minds.

Sorry for rambling! Hopefully this has given you insight into the mindset of someone who joined Fiverr for all the wrong reasons, had no idea of what skills to sell, and made really stupid mistakes! 

• Like 68
  • Confused 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, zeus777 said:

I need to hear THEIR words.

Honestly, if someone messages you, I'd love to see what you find out! I see like, 5-6 spammy posts on here lately about writing, tried to confront them but got nothing. I do know that there's loads of accounts that just copy each other, though (which is even funnier when they are all incorrect.) 

Maybe these come from those 'schools/classes'? 

In all genuine honesty, I would love to hear more from these people - actual responses that might make it possible to either a, help them, b, just understand them better. 

What I have seen on TikTok and youtube before is people saying 'anyone can write'. Maybe this stems from that partially and just evolved into people spouting nonsense? A bit similar to how 'anyone can be a graphic designer' seems to be a thing. 

I don't think it's mean, especially if they even get something out of us wanting to understand them better! I just want to know why there are writers who can't type 3 sentences coherently. Just... doesn't make sense to me!

• Like 69

if someone messages you, I'd love to see what you find out!

You know what, I'm kinda tempted to message the two "nice" people above.
I can start by asking:
1. What part of it did you find nice?   (like @mariashtelle1 said)
2. Is there a reason why you just wrote one word? I mean, if it was "nice," I'd personally write a bit more.
3. Did you do it just to get attention? If so, how do you think it will help you?

Stuff like that.

• Like 64
  • Up 4

12 hours ago, vickieito said:

Hopefully this has given you insight into the mindset of someone who joined Fiverr for all the wrong reasons, had no idea of what skills to sell, and made really stupid mistakes!

Oh, I personally believe you were a smart person to begin with, you actually DID have the base skills!
I really appreciate your free answer, and while you might have made some mistakes, I would not put you in the "fake seller" category...never!!
Maybe you didn't really know what you can offer but I bet you never thought about stealing other people's gigs or lie about your skills.

We all make mistakes at the start, I know I did too, but I do believe that the sellers who eventually achieved a certain level of success were never lazy.
You might have been looking for a quick and easy way to get money, but I'm sure you did spend a decent amount of time setting up your gigs!  😉

• Like 68

16 hours ago, vickieito said:

doing the most generic skills that anyone could do - data entry, proofreading, and beta reading.

The thing is, not everyone can do those things at all. (Maybe data entry...) Proofreading takes a strong command of the language -- a perfect one, in fact. Beta reading requires understanding of story construction, etc. You obviously had skills when you came here and worked to develop new ones. That is the most important "skill" of all: the understanding that building a successful freelance career or business takes effort, learning, and agility.

There's a huge difference between someone who wants easy money and then quickly learns that expanding (or honing) what they offer works so much better and people who have no idea that success requires any type of real effort at all.

• Like 89

On 11/9/2022 at 5:29 AM, katakatica said:

Honestly, if someone messages you, I'd love to see what you find out!

I hope you saw my post, @katakatica! My post was hidden for 11 hours because I probably used a forbidden word (not sure which one)!

TLDR - I joined Fiverr for all the wrong reasons. Luckily, I was able to quickly adjust and correct myself.

How wonderfully and beautifully refreshing it is to see such openness and honesty. And that people is how you grow! 

Thanks! I try to remember that when I answer questions on the forum. I was a new seller earlier this year, so it wasn't long ago when I was in their shoes. If I could make a 180-degree change, so can others.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:13 AM, shalock said:

To be honest I got started with a lucky shot, but since then I've worked non stop

I think luck, hard work, and a willingness to admit when things aren't working helped me to be successful on this platform.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:26 AM, zeus777 said:

I would not put you in the "fake seller" category...never!!

When I first started, I was "faking it 'till I was making it." The only way I could prove myself was through my portfolio. And I had to make up that portfolio, because I didn't have any past projects to go off of. Once I started getting orders, I used each order as a chance to prove to my customers (and myself) that I could do this "for real."

On 11/8/2022 at 5:36 AM, katakatica said:

but now you actually have to prove yourself to get ANY orders.  And that's how it should be. 

I really love how hard work is rewarded on this platform. I've had the Fiverr's Choice badge consistently since April, and this badge alone has not only helped my business to grow but it also clears away a lot of my concerns about not being "an expert" or a "real seller."

On 11/9/2022 at 10:26 AM, zeus777 said:

I do believe that the sellers who eventually achieved a certain level of success were never lazy.

It was Day 2 of being a freelancer on Fiverr that I saw I had 0 impressions, 0 clicks, and 0 orders. That told me I had to get off my lazy bum and work. My scientist brain was telling me that action was required to get the desired result. So, I was only lazy for 2 days. 😊

On 11/9/2022 at 1:50 PM, melanielm said:

building a successful freelance career or business takes effort, learning, and agility.

That's why I love following all of you on the forum! I learn so much from each of your posts! I think it's sad that so many new sellers don't see the golden nuggets that are right in front of them. Or they see but don't implement. Every business is different, so they'll never know what works or not if they don't try. 

• Like 86

4 hours ago, vickieito said:

joined Fiverr for all the wrong reasons

I'm not sure if there are 'right' reasons lol.

The way I see it you approached it as you should, indeed as you should with any business....

You had a goal of making money, and you thought you'd achieve this by offering services you could deliver.

You then launched, tested, iterated and validated. And you haven't stopped doing the last 3 since. That's the right approach.

As @katakaticasays, you never were a fake seller, at least in my book because you never claimed a skill set you didn't have.

You simply tested, and you were proved right.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:36 PM, katakatica said:

Life is tough and people think that earning money online is easy, but it's not, and it's not meant to be

Great topic @katakatica. Nothing you said was wrong IMO, and this statement resonated hugely with me.

In my experience a lot of the people who think they're good enough aren't (and won't ever be because they'll never think they're the problem). The people that question whether they are (so called imposter syndrome) are the ones that succeed. I see this in countless startups and Fiverr sellers in equal measure.

I've pulled back from the forum in recent weeks. I was just too busy, and I found it a negative time suck, my inbox here as well as the feed was full of 'help me' from people that didn't even read the advice they had previously been sent. Infuriating. 

• Like 81
  • Thanks 4