Manipulative Buyers

clemenskotoku

So after placing order based on what was agreed on, some buyers tends to be manipulative by trying to add whatever wasn't discussed initially and saying they'll only accept order if this or that went through whiles that cannot be in sellers account neither wasn't agreed upon. Please share how you handle these sort of things. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, in my field it's pretty common for a buyer to request addition or modification here and there. If the request isn't something too dramatic, I always try to be accommodating. If the request is not within the scope that we agreed on, then I will simply explain to them politely and offer an alternative. If the buyer persists, the option is either to just do what they want or cancel the order.

• Like 6

Just now, kevindwren said:

If the request isn't something too dramatic, I always try to be accommodating.

I also take this approach. If it's minor things they request, I don't mind making the adjustments they ask for. 

However, if it's blatant extra things they ask that require more time and effort I kindly explain that I'm more than happy to fulfill their wishes for an extra fee of $X. 

It's important to respect your own boundaries in the freelancing world (I admit I find this difficult at times because I strive for buyer satisfaction and all). But if you just go along with all the extra thing buyers ask for without respecting your own time, you'll end up overworked without the benefit of extra money! 

• Like 6

I thought I was the only one going through such. One buyer did such with me during when buyer request was still available. We agreed that I provide a sample before she placed order which I did that but she told me she's not interested anymore because she already got another seller to do the job. I was very upset because she waste my time. 

The next thing she said was that she like the design but she's willing to buy it only I can sell it for her half of the price of the price we agreed on before. She left me with no option than to just sell it for her since I can't sell it for another buyer.

Those buyer are just manipulative because of the power they were given. One just need to be very careful around them.

• Like 2

Well deal with them politely somehow. Who knows that those buyers might become your potential clients 🙂

It happens with me too but sometimes I do whatever they request and sometimes, if I feel like that its price will be separate or needed to increase the price, then I will discuss this with buyer first. If buyer gets agree then he/she will add the quantity in on-going order. Else they give tips! Other option, I sometimes complete buyer requests whatever they ask me to do

P.S. This is why I always discuss the project beforehand (including their budget) and clarify each and everything so that there is no confusion after placing an order!

• Like 1