How do I know a buyer is legit?

dlam13

I recently got an inbox message from a buyer asking me about the tasks I am able to do and if I was willing to work on a longer term project. This is my first time on fiverr, so I am unsure how buyers usually approach sellers on here. They want to pay me on their own payroll service instead of on fiverr due to a fee fiverr apparently charges the buyer? Is that allowed? Is submitting a resume and going through an interview process also normal?

• Like 43
  • Sad 4
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, theratypist said:

If you've read the Fiverr terms of service, its not allowed to transact or communicate outside of Fiverr. I would suggest you politely remind the buyer that it isn't allowed. The thing is you would never be 100% sure if a buyer is "legit" especially for ones you don't have any working history with, but stuff like these are clear signs that this buyer is intentionally trying to circumvent the system by getting you out. Should you break these rules as well your account would be banned. 

Thank you for clarifying! I was hesitant when they told me about that, but now I know

• Like 36
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

This is where all the red flags came together at once. He talks about "long-term cooperation" without even knowing who you are or how well you do the job, and immediately offers to violate Fiverr ToS.

Just remember - good serious buyers will never ask you to go out of Fiverr. Why? Because working through Fiverr is safe for both seller and buyer. 

And just one more recommendation - never start your work, until the order is active (means, you sent an offer and the buyer accepted it, or the buyer ordered one of your gigs, and paid for it) 

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

you need to go buyer Profile then checkout his/her Profile opening date also you need to see his/her previews seller reviews. If his buyer id old but he/she don't have any reviews on his profile, then you need to understand somethings is not good for you. you need to ignore his/her project. 

• Like 30

They ask for free samples/work.
They request work completed first THEN promise to place an order afterward. They request payment from the seller as a form of assurance that they will take the "upcoming job offer" seriously (seems to be a popular scam recently). They want to communicate off the platform.

In all honesty, fake buyers are very easy to sniff out.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, shomrat09 said:

If you have read Fiverr's Terms of Service, you are not authorized to transact or communicate outside of Fiverr. know your need for fiverr terms and condition as a new freelancer I suggest you politely remind the buyer that this is not allowed. The point is that you'll never be 100% sure if a buyer is "legitimate,", especially for those of you who don't have a track record, but things like this are a clear sign for a buyer.  If you also violate these rules, see this buyer trying to circumvent the system by taking you out. Fake buyers always want how a seller working in without a fiver marketplace. and her message al time spam. massage

I don't understand why you have to paraphrase what I just said after you also agreed to it. 

• Like 10

I think it is very common in the marketplaces like fiverr. They always try to encourage us by saying "long-term project", "we will give you a tip" etc. As we are active in the marketplace, we should follow fiverr's terms & conditions and let them know that we are loyal to the marketplace we are working on & can not communicate outside of fiverr. By this way, we can not be scammed by the scammer and will be paid for our effort & time.

• Like 8