What's your fall comfort food?

katakatica

I feel like it's been a while since I've posted a food-thread so... here it is!

Where I am, seasons have changed... rather rapidly. One day I was out with a group, enjoying the same heat as the rest of the summer, the next morning, cold winds have come to say hello in the morning and the air has cooled. Fall for me is often somewhat gloomy - I find myself tired and a bit cranky, though I also think it's rather beautiful with the leaves painted so many shades. 

The best part of the colder weather though for me has to be...food. 

Certain dishes just taste different when it's cold outside. 

So... what do you love eating when the leaves start turning yellow?

I made Japanese style curry for the first time this week and it was just - amazing. Very cosy and comforting (especially because it was steaming hot when I served it! During the summer I usually wait a bit with eating because I don't like too-hot food. )

Anyway, I'm not the biggest soup fan (unless it's ramen / Hungarian fisherman's soup or even just chicken soup) so curries seem to be something I'm drawn to these days.. Spicy food also helps (though I try not too eat TOO spicy.) 

What about you? Do you eat differently when the seasons change? Is there something you like more when it's colder/warmer outside? 

• Like 24

17 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

Ramen is my four seasons comfort food. As we move into Autumn/Fall/Herbst, I start to crave German Klöße, potato dumplings. half a day on the sofa is required after eating in order to aid digestion. 

Ramen I love in the summer as well, but can't drink much of the broth, which sometimes feels like a shame! I've been learning how to make miso ramen (with chasu) from scratch and I think it just hit the best when the weather was worse - but that WAS also the most recent time so! 
I'll be in Poland next week and honestly can't wait to have some pierogi. It's odd because there's loads of Asian restaurants all over the place here but I've yet to find something truly Eastern European, though I guess that cuisine isn't SO popular, so makes sense. 

• Like 14

I haven't smelled leaves turning since I was 11 years old, but recall it very well and miss it. We just have summer and winter where I live-and, yes, it does snow. I can smell that change coming.

My comfort foods are soups. I try not to, and really can't, eat a lot of processed foods but my own zuppa toscana and my grandmother's minestrone give me warm fuzzies.

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 12

12 hours ago, nickj2013 said:

My fall comfort foods are ramen, pizza, chicken soup (homemade), and spaghetti (also homemade).

I'm not the keenest on spaghetti, but homemade can be lovely. We have carbonara (not the creamy version) relatively often, but I feel like pasta is more of a summer food for me (as long as it's not too heavy.) We make damn good garlic bread though which is amazing in any season 😄

15 hours ago, mandyzines said:

My comfort foods are soups. I try not to, and really can't, eat a lot of processed foods but my own zuppa toscana and my grandmother's minestrone give me warm fuzzies.

Zuppa toscana is the ultimate comfort soup! I've never made it myself but had it in Italy a few times I think. I'm thinking of making pastina sometime for lunch (which is (for me) similar in feels but doesn't require loads of veg (I don't like buying the big packets they have hear because a lot ends up wasted 😞 still learning how to be more conscious with that. 

Not having a real autumn/spring sounds fascinating to me-  I don't think I've ever been to a place that only had two distinct seasons!

• Like 12

My family makes this chicken and mushroom thing with all sorts of yummy herbs and enough garlic to scare off vampires. We always make it when the weather starts to get colder.

For everyday eating during the autumn and winter, it has to be soup for me, too! I'm fond of thick, chunky homemade soups with lots of roast vegetables.

• Like 13

Ragùdrown

On 9/29/2022 at 4:51 AM, leannelrivers said:

German Klöße, potato dumplings

My family has Scandinavian roots, and we had Potato Klubb often. We like to drown it in butter.  But the best way to eat the Klubb was sliced and fried in butter.

On 9/29/2022 at 5:10 AM, katakatica said:

pierogi.

I have never had homemade pierogies, but I do enjoy those I buy in the frozen section of our local grocery store.

21 hours ago, mandyzines said:

zuppa toscana and my grandmother's minestrone

I have not had the Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden and when I looked for a recipe for it, the Olive Garden version is all that came up. However, I was led to believe that the authentic Italian version does not have cream or sausage in it. As for minestrone, I have a good recipe for that and I need to make it soon.

18 hours ago, nickj2013 said:

ramen, pizza, chicken soup (homemade), and spaghetti (also homemade).

I like the homemade ramen best too, because the packaged brand has way too much salt. I also make my own chicken and noodle soup and chicken and dumplings soup. My mom-in-law was Italian, so I make ragù and meatballs from scratch too. However, I have found that the Rao's brand Tomato Basil mixed with the Rao's Marinara sauce spaghetti sauce is a suitable substitute if I am busy. Other winter comfort foods I like are a hearty beef stew, chili, and a nice pot roast.

• Like 14

• mdtanjil1994 changed the title to your fall comfort food?
1 hour ago, vickiespencer said:

I like the homemade ramen best too, because the packaged brand has way too much salt.

I make my own broth when we have it for dinner, which has been such a treat and the recipe I use isn't so hard (though it's not the most complicated ramen ever so it makes sense.) I've been wanting to recreate a dish I had in Italy (which was honestly just meatballs but with a different type of pasta I think.) We've come to the point where 4-5 times a week we manage to cook from scratch (for the most part) but the rest is... pretty junk food-y (though it's always very tasty.) I make this spice mix for chicken nuggets that has sechuan pepper in it - that with a garlic dip is another comfort meal, to be honest!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, vickiespencer said:

I have not had the Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden and when I looked for a recipe for it, the Olive Garden version is all that came up. However, I was led to believe that the authentic Italian version does not have cream or sausage in it. As for minestrone, I have a good recipe for that and I need to make it soon.

Mine does use a little bit of cream at the end. I just looked and found some that use olive oil and broth, along with Italian bacon as the meat. Some of them are chunky, and others are chunky purees--if that makes sense.

9 hours ago, katakatica said:

Zuppa toscana is the ultimate comfort soup! I've never made it myself but had it in Italy a few times I think. I'm thinking of making pastina sometime for lunch (which is (for me) similar in feels but doesn't require loads of veg (I don't like buying the big packets they have hear because a lot ends up wasted 😞 still learning how to be more conscious with that. 

Not having a real autumn/spring sounds fascinating to me-  I don't think I've ever been to a place that only had two distinct seasons!

Did the version you had in Italy have cream? Ooh, pastina dishes look good, and simple! I love cheese. I've never seen it in the stores, and sadly my belly doesn't like pasta, but I could definitely substitute cauliflower for it. 

• Like 10

Fall is when it starts to get colder, so tonkotsu ramen for sure! Add some pot stickers to the side for sure.
Also it's not food, but hot wine.

I guess I should add chocolate to the list, but I eat that thing throughout the entire year so it's not just during fall season 😅
Also taiyaki, takoyaki, roasted chestnuts, etc etc etc.

Sorry, there's too much stuff to eat!!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, zeus777 said:

Fall is when it starts to get colder, so tonkotsu ramen for sure! Add some pot stickers to the side for sure.
Also it's not food, but hot wine.

I guess I should add chocolate to the list, but I eat that thing throughout the entire year so it's not just during fall season 😅
Also taiyaki, takoyaki, roasted chestnuts, etc etc etc.

Sorry, there's too much stuff to eat!!

I've only had tonkotsu ramen a few times but it's so good! Unfortunately making it for two doesn't feel worth it (a quick spicy miso base is just easier!) but if we have friends over eventually I'd love to try making it. Takoyaki is something I've been hunting for here for ages but haven't found it yet, though I think I've seen it on a menu somewhere. It was my ultimate go-to after a bad day in China. 

I'm always happy to hear even more foodie ideas to be honest 😄 I often find it hard to decide what to cook, so it's helpful. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, zeus777 said:

tonkotsu ramen

Do you go to a ramen house or make it at home?

3 hours ago, katakatica said:

Takoyaki

1924934537_ScreenShot2022-10-01at10_10_31AM.png.96ff413ce83b91ba57f5954f1c8ac30e.png

I have not had Takoyaki, but they sound good. They remind me of Norwegian Ebelskivers, which are a sweet pancake type food. I make them at home and stuff them with fruits or jams.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, rabihumakhan said:

If I'm to choose one single dish (a vicious decision), I would say 'gosht karahi' 

That looks so good! My boyfriend loved (they closed) this small restaurant's chicken karahi (I think that's what it was called) so I've been hunting for a recipe (I'd be open for any meat with it 😄) I love meat in curries / sauces, but still figuring out how I like my steak lol

23 hours ago, mandyzines said:

Did the version you had in Italy have cream? Ooh, pastina dishes look good, and simple! I love cheese. I've never seen it in the stores, and sadly my belly doesn't like pasta, but I could definitely substitute cauliflower for it. 

I'm actually not sure! I might have to ask one of my old hosts for her recipe! I just remember the bread and just how rich it was. 

I wonder if pastina recipes would work with rice (cooked longer, of course) so it's almost like a rice soup/congee? Not the same of course, but they can be sooo cosy as well. Can't wait until we have a ricecooker (waiting to get our broken airfryer back before daring to buy anything again -.-) because congee is a bit of a hassle to make! 

Cheese in Sweden has been something expensive to be honest, so only recently did I find some brands that are really tasty... because of that now we have charcuterie as a side for pasta sometimes 😄

• Like 8