How do you deal with people that duplicate your gigs?

soaregabriel

Hello community!

What do you do when you notice that there is a duplicated gig that is ranking better than your own, and that is based on your content?

Along the way I've noticed multiple gigs that were a duplication of mine - I've reported each one and everything went well (well, at least it wasn't something noticeable). Now something is different - I'm showing on the last page for most of the search queries, while there are people that are ranking on the first page using my description/CTA. I know that there are other metrics, but still.

While for the last 2 months I've been thrown out to the very last page, there is someone that copied my profile and gig description, and he is ranking on the first page,. I have reported his gig multiple times but nothing seems to happen - he is still using my 'texts' and shows on the 1st page, while I show on the 15th. 

What can be done in this case? I'm afraid to change/edit my gig description because it can be interpreted that my content is newer than his, thus, I may look to be the duplicator.

From my point of view, this is a very clear case of content duplication, what is your opinion on this?

Attached a reference screenshot, left side is the duplicate, while on the right side is my gig. In case its relevant, I will share the two links below:

https://www.fiverr.com/soaregabriel/fix-your-html-and-css-errors (my gig)

https://www.fiverr.com/sohag514/fix-your-html-css-javascript-jquery-bootstrap-error (the duplicators)

Thank you in advance for your opinion or advice!

Cheers!

Gabriel

duplicated-gig.PNG

• Like 26
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi @soaregabriel - How did you report the gig? I usually report these gigs by clicking on the "flag" icon above their gig and selecting the option of "non-original content."

image.png.9d5dc1fead32eab5d46fc326e26cd5aa.png

image.png.cafe7a3635ebd8503a33dad9fc1350d3.png

I then select "description" and my gig link with a statement that the seller is copying my content. Usually the gig is taken down within a day or so. I'm not sure why your reports have been unsuccessful.

image.png.20239f8dcde4ea41d04a2c6a9cec7748.png

• Like 23
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Hi @soaregabriel - How did you report the gig? I usually report these gigs by clicking on the "flag" icon above their gig and selecting the option of "non-original content."

image.png.9d5dc1fead32eab5d46fc326e26cd5aa.png

image.png.cafe7a3635ebd8503a33dad9fc1350d3.png

I then select "description" and my gig link with a statement that the seller is copying my content. Usually the gig is taken down within a day or so. I'm not sure why your reports have been unsuccessful.

image.png.20239f8dcde4ea41d04a2c6a9cec7748.png

This is exactly how I reported. Thank you!

• Like 16
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you think that the years of tenure is a problem? Most of the gigs I report are newbies, so maybe that's why they take those gigs down so quickly.

This seller has been around since 2014, while you have been around since 2016.

I wonder if it's too much work for them to go back through all the edit history to see who wrote the content first and what edit it would be under. It would also be nice if we, as sellers, could see our own edit history to expedite that review process.

• Like 19
  • Haha 1
  • Up 2

49 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Do you think that the years of tenure is a problem? Most of the gigs I report are newbies, so maybe that's why they take those gigs down so quickly.

This seller has been around since 2014, while you have been around since 2016.

I wonder if it's too much work for them to go back through all the edit history to see who wrote the content first and what edit it would be under. It would also be nice if we, as sellers, could see our own edit history to expedite that review process.

I hope not, but obviously there is a problem, perhaps he 'spammed' a specific keyword, I don't know.

It would be great if we could have some sort of edit history, this would be very helpful in improving a gig.

Check WayBackMachine https://web.archive.org/ - this is a tool to check the history of the internet, can come in handy at times. As a reference, my gig had mostly the same description since 2016, and the tool first recorded his gig using the new, copied description on 8 Sept this year. 

• Like 20
  • Up 2

13 hours ago, vickieito said:

I remember the WayBack Machine! Yes, this is a great tool. Did you use this as a reference when you reported the copycat gig?

I haven't used it as a reference as I thought that Fiverr must have some sort of internal tool to identify copycats, but I guess that I'm wrong. 

It's annoying to see duplicated gigs ranking better than the original. I had a quick look over the #1 page for the query 'edit html' and there are a total of 4 sellers using my description - all this while I'm showing on the very last page, #15.

I'm wondering if their ranking system is as stable as its been said by Customer Support.

Do you think that these copycats could also be linked to the fact that my gigs are not promotable anymore? It happened suddenly, and I couldn't find an explanation after countless of tickets.

• Like 19
  • Up 2

5 minutes ago, designtouch24 said:

its happened to me a lot of time

Basically i click on Flag and make a copywrite claim  

I do that too, but no action seems to be taken and there are 7 copycats on the pages 1-2. 

It would be great if the system had an automatic way to check this. Manually 'hunting' these copycats can get pretty time extensive, and even after reporting, it seems that nobody is doing a thing.

• Like 13
  • Up 2

4 hours ago, soaregabriel said:

Do you think that these copycats could also be linked to the fact that my gigs are not promotable anymore? It happened suddenly, and I couldn't find an explanation after countless of tickets.

Your eligibility for promoted gigs is based on your performance against other sellers in your category. So if they are doing better than you, then that may temporarily disqualify you until your performance is better than other sellers in your category. Are you on Seller Plus? I've found the features of this program helpful in assessing the health of my business. Having a success manager helps as well.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1

41 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Your eligibility for promoted gigs is based on your performance against other sellers in your category. So if they are doing better than you, then that may temporarily disqualify you until your performance is better than other sellers in your category. Are you on Seller Plus? I've found the features of this program helpful in assessing the health of my business. Having a success manager helps as well.

I had the subscription on and off along the time, but I cancelled it last month, part of the reason was my success manager recommendation. The feature that I liked was Keyword Research - I might reconsider it in the future but currently its irrelevant since all my gigs are displaying on the very last page.

Now, because of the fact that there are copycats that are ranking better, I have a strange feeling about how the ranking system works, or if its 'fairly calibrated'.

In the end, if those copycats could achieve a better ranking using a copy/pasted text, I'm sure that they might find a way to write using their own words.

The system should be able to notice such kind of duplications, but if it doesn't, the 'Report' button should have a meaning.

• Like 14
  • Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Can someone from the Fiverr's team to look into this? The gig is clearly a copycat and from my point of view is very easy to notice this. 

I have reported that gig multiple times and no action seems to be taken.

The below is the resolution from Customer Support, which is unacceptable:

"After reviewing both of these gigs, our team confirmed that there are some similarities that are not enough for them to take any action."

Community, what is your opinion on this? 

Edit: For a better relevancy, I have added a screenshot highlighting the duplicate (left side is the copycat, right side is my gig). If this is not enough for them to take any action, then I must be crazy.

copycat-vs-original.png

Edited by soaregabriel
added screenshot
  • Like 10
  • Up 5

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Customer Support keeps telling me that there are not enough similarities.

Please see the below two gigs and let me know your opinion:

https://www.fiverr.com/maskerneo/edit-or-fix-html-css-customize-website-wordpress-shopify

https://www.fiverr.com/soaregabriel/fix-your-html-and-css-errors

From your point of view, the reader, are there enough similarities? How can CS be so ignorant with this case? Its very frustrating for me to keep the ping-pong with them ongoing.

Cheers!

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, soaregabriel said:

From your point of view, the reader, are there enough similarities? How can CS be so ignorant with this case?

Hi @soaregabriel, I agree that there are too many similarities. I think Fiverr CS should take action on this copycat gig. It seems pretty obvious.

I'm also dealing with a copycat that has my gig description with no variation ... it's exactly as I have it. Fiverr CS chose not to take action, no matter how many times I reported it. It's funny how they took down gigs that partially copied my gig but won't take the gig down that copied 100% of my gig. I eventually stopped reporting this one.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Hi @soaregabriel, I agree that there are too many similarities. I think Fiverr CS should take action on this copycat gig. It seems pretty obvious.

I'm also dealing with a copycat that has my gig description with no variation ... it's exactly as I have it. Fiverr CS chose not to take action, no matter how many times I reported it. It's funny how they took down gigs that partially copied my gig but won't take the gig down that copied 100% of my gig. I eventually stopped reporting this one.

Hi @vickieito, I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with a similar situation.

Do you happen to know if there is any way to report an unfair CS resolution? Like, notifying the management or the team leader. Obviously, there is something fishy in the middle, or maybe its just ignorance - both aspects should be looked into.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, vickieito said:

Hi, I just really have no clue what steps should we take besides reporting the copycat gig. I've reported twice but i don't think this seems to be enough since no action has been taken so far. I mean a buyer who just joined a month ago, copied my GIG description, and already has 2 reviews in THAT same gig. 

That's clearly plagiarism and I'm still wondering if there's any system or even algorithm here that might be able to detect such copycat gigs ? 

From, 

A seller who has been working here for the past 3 years and came here to find a clue to help herself out when received no response on reporting this copycat gig.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, soaregabriel said:

Do you happen to know if there is any way to report an unfair CS resolution?

3 hours ago, mah_noor7 said:

Hi, I just really have no clue what steps should we take besides reporting the copycat gig.

One thing that I haven't done is open a specific Customer Support ticket for the copycat gig. That might be an option since there are several specific tickets for that purpose here:

https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets/account-and-security/account-verification-and-security/suspicious-content/create-ticket

https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets/community-standards-and-terms-of-service/report-violation/create-ticket

• Like 8

On 10/5/2022 at 11:46 PM, vickieito said:

One thing that I haven't done is open a specific Customer Support ticket for the copycat gig. That might be an option since there are several specific tickets for that purpose here:

https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets/account-and-security/account-verification-and-security/suspicious-content/create-ticket

https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets/community-standards-and-terms-of-service/report-violation/create-ticket

Thanks for sending this. 🙂 But, I don't think that would be of any help cause I reported the copycat gig twice and sadly, I can't really see any action taken already.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, mipiti48 said:

When people copy your gigs, it seems that from the start they don't want to work. I would certainly report it right away or click on the flag. Please do the same if you experience this issue. It is very common.

True, I agree. I've reported the copycat gig several times but in vain. I literally have no hope now if they will ever take down that copycat gig. 

• Like 11

Besides reporting the copycat by pressing the Flag thingy - I also opened multiple support tickets - everything was just a waste of time - CS doesn't seem to care or to take any action.

Their responses are very similar to the below:

"Please bear in mind that the relevant team reviewed the other gig and compared it to yours. They decided that there are similarities but not enough per our guidelines to conclude that the other gig is a copycat. "

or..

"The relevant team already reviewed this and they concluded that the gig in question cannot be removed for the reasons you provided. Based on their criteria it is not a copycat. So, from our end, this is resolved. I hope this clairifies."

Even though I provided screenshots and made everything clear that even a toddler would notice that its the same. It should be considered fraud, and their way of deciding should be looked into. The fact that they are favoring the copycat should be considered as nepotism. This is getting very time extensive and CS is doing nothing.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1