Jump to content

How do you deal with people that duplicate your gigs?


Recommended Posts

Hello community!

 

What do you do when you notice that there is a duplicated gig that is ranking better than your own, and that is based on your content?

Along the way I've noticed multiple gigs that were a duplication of mine - I've reported each one and everything went well (well, at least it wasn't something noticeable). Now something is different - I'm showing on the last page for most of the search queries, while there are people that are ranking on the first page using my description/CTA. I know that there are other metrics, but still.

 

While for the last 2 months I've been thrown out to the very last page, there is someone that copied my profile and gig description, and he is ranking on the first page,. I have reported his gig multiple times but nothing seems to happen - he is still using my 'texts' and shows on the 1st page, while I show on the 15th. 

 

What can be done in this case? I'm afraid to change/edit my gig description because it can be interpreted that my content is newer than his, thus, I may look to be the duplicator.

 

From my point of view, this is a very clear case of content duplication, what is your opinion on this?

 

Attached a reference screenshot, left side is the duplicate, while on the right side is my gig. In case its relevant, I will share the two links below:

https://www.fiverr.com/soaregabriel/fix-your-html-and-css-errors (my gig)

https://www.fiverr.com/sohag514/fix-your-html-css-javascript-jquery-bootstrap-error (the duplicators)

 

Thank you in advance for your opinion or advice!

 

 

Cheers!

Gabriel

duplicated-gig.PNG

  • Like 14
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @soaregabriel - How did you report the gig? I usually report these gigs by clicking on the "flag" icon above their gig and selecting the option of "non-original content."

image.png.9d5dc1fead32eab5d46fc326e26cd5aa.png

image.png.cafe7a3635ebd8503a33dad9fc1350d3.png

I then select "description" and my gig link with a statement that the seller is copying my content. Usually the gig is taken down within a day or so. I'm not sure why your reports have been unsuccessful.

image.png.20239f8dcde4ea41d04a2c6a9cec7748.png

  • Like 12
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Hi @soaregabriel - How did you report the gig? I usually report these gigs by clicking on the "flag" icon above their gig and selecting the option of "non-original content."

image.png.9d5dc1fead32eab5d46fc326e26cd5aa.png

image.png.cafe7a3635ebd8503a33dad9fc1350d3.png

I then select "description" and my gig link with a statement that the seller is copying my content. Usually the gig is taken down within a day or so. I'm not sure why your reports have been unsuccessful.

image.png.20239f8dcde4ea41d04a2c6a9cec7748.png

This is exactly how I reported. Thank you!

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you think that the years of tenure is a problem? Most of the gigs I report are newbies, so maybe that's why they take those gigs down so quickly.

This seller has been around since 2014, while you have been around since 2016.

I wonder if it's too much work for them to go back through all the edit history to see who wrote the content first and what edit it would be under. It would also be nice if we, as sellers, could see our own edit history to expedite that review process.

  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Do you think that the years of tenure is a problem? Most of the gigs I report are newbies, so maybe that's why they take those gigs down so quickly.

This seller has been around since 2014, while you have been around since 2016.

I wonder if it's too much work for them to go back through all the edit history to see who wrote the content first and what edit it would be under. It would also be nice if we, as sellers, could see our own edit history to expedite that review process.

I hope not, but obviously there is a problem, perhaps he 'spammed' a specific keyword, I don't know.

 

It would be great if we could have some sort of edit history, this would be very helpful in improving a gig.

Check WayBackMachine https://web.archive.org/ - this is a tool to check the history of the internet, can come in handy at times. As a reference, my gig had mostly the same description since 2016, and the tool first recorded his gig using the new, copied description on 8 Sept this year. 

  • Like 9
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, vickieito said:

I remember the WayBack Machine! Yes, this is a great tool. Did you use this as a reference when you reported the copycat gig?

I haven't used it as a reference as I thought that Fiverr must have some sort of internal tool to identify copycats, but I guess that I'm wrong. 

It's annoying to see duplicated gigs ranking better than the original. I had a quick look over the #1 page for the query 'edit html' and there are a total of 4 sellers using my description - all this while I'm showing on the very last page, #15.

I'm wondering if their ranking system is as stable as its been said by Customer Support.

Do you think that these copycats could also be linked to the fact that my gigs are not promotable anymore? It happened suddenly, and I couldn't find an explanation after countless of tickets.

  • Like 4
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, designtouch24 said:

its happened to me a lot of time

Basically i click on Flag and make a copywrite claim  

I do that too, but no action seems to be taken and there are 7 copycats on the pages 1-2. 

It would be great if the system had an automatic way to check this. Manually 'hunting' these copycats can get pretty time extensive, and even after reporting, it seems that nobody is doing a thing.

  • Like 2
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, soaregabriel said:

Do you think that these copycats could also be linked to the fact that my gigs are not promotable anymore? It happened suddenly, and I couldn't find an explanation after countless of tickets.

Your eligibility for promoted gigs is based on your performance against other sellers in your category. So if they are doing better than you, then that may temporarily disqualify you until your performance is better than other sellers in your category. Are you on Seller Plus? I've found the features of this program helpful in assessing the health of my business. Having a success manager helps as well.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Your eligibility for promoted gigs is based on your performance against other sellers in your category. So if they are doing better than you, then that may temporarily disqualify you until your performance is better than other sellers in your category. Are you on Seller Plus? I've found the features of this program helpful in assessing the health of my business. Having a success manager helps as well.

I had the subscription on and off along the time, but I cancelled it last month, part of the reason was my success manager recommendation. The feature that I liked was Keyword Research - I might reconsider it in the future but currently its irrelevant since all my gigs are displaying on the very last page.

 

Now, because of the fact that there are copycats that are ranking better, I have a strange feeling about how the ranking system works, or if its 'fairly calibrated'.

 

In the end, if those copycats could achieve a better ranking using a copy/pasted text, I'm sure that they might find a way to write using their own words.

 

The system should be able to notice such kind of duplications, but if it doesn't, the 'Report' button should have a meaning.

  • Like 2
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Can someone from the Fiverr's team to look into this? The gig is clearly a copycat and from my point of view is very easy to notice this. 

I have reported that gig multiple times and no action seems to be taken.

The below is the resolution from Customer Support, which is unacceptable:

"After reviewing both of these gigs, our team confirmed that there are some similarities that are not enough for them to take any action."

 

Community, what is your opinion on this? 

 

Edit: For a better relevancy, I have added a screenshot highlighting the duplicate (left side is the copycat, right side is my gig). If this is not enough for them to take any action, then I must be crazy.

copycat-vs-original.png

Edited by soaregabriel
added screenshot
  • Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...