How to deal with a client that wants a free ("watermarked") sample before ordering?

finndev478

Question

How to deal with a client that wants a free ("watermarked") sample before ordering?

(Even though I have samples in my gallery similar to what they client wants, so they know I am capable of delivering.)

I simply declined and referred to my gallery. But I might loose a potentially good client (has a lot of buyer reviews). Is there a better way to deal with it? I dont see why I should be working for free.
I also put a custom order for a test run, but the client asked for a sample instead.

• Like 9

2 answers to this question

Welcome to my world!

I work in audio, where everything is watermark free.

Even worse, the bulk of my orders comes from audio restoration where I have to provide a sample before the order starts just to manage client expectations.

I have worked more than 100 hrs for free.

If the client has good history and creating a sample won't take much of your time, maybe take a chance!

Of course, you did the right thing. Never work for free, etc. Undecided clients often remain so after the order starts!

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, finndev478 said:

I simply declined and referred to my gallery. But I might loose a potentially good client (has a lot of buyer reviews). Is there a better way to deal with it? I dont see why I should be working for free.
I also put a custom order for a test run, but the client asked for a sample instead.

I usually do what you do - put in a very small test run with the customer. Any "potentially good" client should understand that sellers on this platform don't work for free and free samples are already provided in the gallery. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1