How long does it take for gigs to go back to normal after a catastrophically bad private review? q

domenikbrenner

You may have seen my other thread and know that I had a very unfair client who gave me the worst possible rating. My question now is: How long will my gigs be on ice, and once that is over - will it just pop back to normal or how does that work?

I went from thousands of impressions per day, to under 50, the last couple days I would be happy to even make double digits at all. All my other reviews were 5 stars or 4,9. Not sure if my business is over now? Please share your knowledge and experience.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, domenikbrenner said:

How long will my gigs be on ice, and once that is over - will it just pop back to normal or how does that work?

5 hours ago, domenikbrenner said:

Not sure if my business is over now?

Hi @domenikbrenner - You are asking dangerous questions. It makes it sound like there's nothing you can do once you get a negative private review. I see sellers on the forum with that mindset and they are still wondering about those same questions a year after the bad review happened.

All a bad private review means is that your visibility in search will drop. It doesn't mean that you can't get orders. And waiting for orders is a dangerous thing because it perpetuates the bad record your have from that negative private review.

You can get orders in different ways besides being found in search. And getting orders, delivering good quality, and getting those happy buyers and reviews will boost your seller performance and improve your visibility in search. It is not below my dignity as a Level 2 seller to dumpster dive into the Buyer Request section if I need to. I also hate giving out coupons, but I'll do it if it helps me increase my orders when times are slow. I'll also put in more offers to the Buyer Briefs.

You can also focus on improving your conversion rate so that whatever impressions you do get, it turns into clicks, and those clicks turn into orders. Sometimes that means reducing your prices to make your gig more attractive. Sometimes it's giving your whole profile a facelift...or working on improving those portfolio samples.

From what I can see on the forum, those recovering from a hit to their business did so because they took action to pull themselves out of the slump. The ones who waited around for it to come back up are still the ones waiting for it to come back up.

• Like 7
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vickieito said:

Hi @domenikbrenner - You are asking dangerous questions. It makes it sound like there's nothing you can do once you get a negative private review. I see sellers on the forum with that mindset and they are still wondering about those same questions a year after the bad review happened.

All a bad private review means is that your visibility in search will drop. It doesn't mean that you can't get orders. And waiting for orders is a dangerous thing because it perpetuates the bad record your have from that negative private review.

You can get orders in different ways besides being found in search. And getting orders, delivering good quality, and getting those happy buyers and reviews will boost your seller performance and improve your visibility in search. It is not below my dignity as a Level 2 seller to dumpster dive into the Buyer Request section if I need to. I also hate giving out coupons, but I'll do it if it helps me increase my orders when times are slow. I'll also put in more offers to the Buyer Briefs.

You can also focus on improving your conversion rate so that whatever impressions you do get, it turns into clicks, and those clicks turn into orders. Sometimes that means reducing your prices to make your gig more attractive. Sometimes it's giving your whole profile a facelift...or working on improving those portfolio samples.

From what I can see on the forum, those recovering from a hit to their business did so because they took action to pull themselves out of the slump. The ones who waited around for it to come back up are still the ones waiting for it to come back up.

Sounds great, but all my business was just being found in the search and delivering work. So you are telling me that this is not going to go back to normal, I will have to start at zero again?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, domenikbrenner said:

So you are telling me that this is not going to go back to normal, I will have to start at zero again?

What this means is, your business got derailed and it's up to you to bring it back.

I wouldn't say you are starting from zero again because you have 30 good reviews under your belt. You may even have repeat buyers that can help keep your business going. I have enough repeat buyers that I don't need to be found in search.

What this might mean is you are going to have to make much more effort to get orders than you may have had to in the past. Especially since you've been so heavily dependent on being found in search to get your orders. And orders (with good deliveries and happy customers) are vital to becoming visible in search again.

When my business got derailed, I did lower my prices, because even getting a $5 order was better than no orders at all. And a bunch of lower priced orders brought in more traffic to my gigs so that I eventually had to increase my prices significantly to bring the order amount to a manageable level.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, vickieito said:

What this means is, your business got derailed and it's up to you to bring it back.

I wouldn't say you are starting from zero again because you have 30 good reviews under your belt. You may even have repeat buyers that can help keep your business going. I have enough repeat buyers that I don't need to be found in search.

What this might mean is you are going to have to make much more effort to get orders than you may have had to in the past. Especially since you've been so heavily dependent on being found in search to get your orders. And orders (with good deliveries and happy customers) are vital to becoming visible in search again.

When my business got derailed, I did lower my prices, because even getting a $5 order was better than no orders at all. And a bunch of lower priced orders brought in more traffic to my gigs so that I eventually had to increase my prices significantly to bring the order amount to a manageable level.

So basically I am back to square one. Great. I don't understand how one private review can do that... -.-

• Like 6

@domenikbrenner - it only took me 3 weeks to recover when my business derailed. So I had 3 weeks of $5 prices, and then increased my average selling price to $100 when I had too many orders to handle.

Business will have its ups and downs. In your case, it was due to a buyer. In my case, I made really stupid business decisions. I'm just glad that we have the opportunity to recover and make our businesses even better than it was before the derailer happened.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, vickieito said:

@domenikbrenner - it only took me 3 weeks to recover when my business derailed. So I had 3 weeks of $5 prices, and then increased my average selling price to $100 when I had too many orders to handle.

Business will have its ups and downs. In your case, it was due to a buyer. In my case, I made really stupid business decisions. I'm just glad that we have the opportunity to recover and make our businesses even better than it was before the derailer happened.

Yeah, I am clueless how I am supposed to find clients. But my question is still open for anyone else reading. I wanted to know if it goes back to normal, or if this is permament and I have to "work my way up" again?

• Like 6