Can buyers talk anything personal in inbox?

socialfahim71

One of my potential buyer, whom i approached through buyer request, responded me & started talking about his requirements. This is how a good relationship develops within an hour, right after that, he started asking irrelevant questions like 'in which sector your country is popular?' 'favorite dishes in your country?' 'which food of your country you recommend me?' etc. he was actually making fun. but i was afraid if this validates any terms and conditions of Fiverr or not. Is this type of personal conversation allowed in Fiverr? TIA.

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

I think that it is completely up to you.

You have to set boundaries. As long as they are not disrespectful, I do not believe that they are violating the Terms of Service.

If you do not like such contact, tell them that you are not comfortable answering such questions and would rather focus on the work at hand.

If they continue, you can report them for spam, block them, whatever you see fit.

PS. Keep in mind that taking a relationship outside of Fiverr is against the Terms of Service. So if they tell you e-mail me etc., it is not permitted.

Edited by sunboatrecords
  • Like 13
  • Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know, it doesn't violate the ToS to engage in casual conversation especially if the question is pretty general and nothing like asking about your personal info. I had some chatty buyers back then, asking about my country. They were probably just curious and meant no harm, but I am not sure if this is the case in your situation. You wrote that "he was making fun", do you mean making fun of your country and culture? if that's the case, I'd definitely would not engage further and refuse to take their project.

Edited by kevindwren
  • Like 8

On 9/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, shafain876 said:

No they can't. Report against the buyer.

I'm sorry!  but I think a few of you are really missing the point here.  Sometimes, it great to speak to a customer informally.  It's a way to get to know them and understand what their all about.  Sure, I wouldn't recommend this for a $5 gig, but if a customer is looking to spend a fair amount of money on you then why shouldn't they get to know you? Some of my repeat clients have been with me for years, and it's good to catch up after a long absence.  

So, reporting a buyer is extreme to say the least, and it only shows that as a freelancer you're just a bot that has no ability or desire to interact with a customer.  I agree that sometimes it's just good to get along with things and process the order, but my experience tells me that the ones you build up a good relationship with are the ones that are most likely to come back to you for more orders. Also, one of the 5 star rating criteria is Communication, so why wouldn't you?

Finally, I always remember this quote when dealing with customers. 

People will sometimes forget what you say, they will sometimes forget what you did.  But they will NEVER forget how you made them feel......

• Like 4
  • Up 2